#1 Issue

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Teams wouldn't be blitzing Joe fn Montana every down like they did AA, because Joe fn Montana would burn them. A good QB can make an average o-line look far better than they are.

Hell, a good QB can make an average TEAM look far better than they are.

The problem is we don't have an average line, we are still below average at the offensive line. The way we played Saturday, well below average.

Durty South Swamp

Founding Member
doodley doodley doo!
Lifetime Member
Jun 19, 2014
Founding Member
Grier played against defenses other than Missouri that were pretty bad... even Kentucky made LDR look serviceable. Would Grier look as good against LSU, FSU, and Alabama with the line that played during those games?
Grier masked a lot of the line problems because he was accurate and could get the ball out quick and in rhythm. I honestly think we would have beaten both lsu and fsu had he still been playing. Yes, I honestly think that to be the case.

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Grier masked a lot of the line problems because he was accurate and could get the ball out quick and in rhythm. I honestly think we would have beaten both lsu and fsu had he still been playing. Yes, I honestly think that to be the case.

Maybe LSU, I don't think so against FSU, our Offensive line was the worst it has been in 30 years that game.. he might have came out of the game on a stretcher. He masked our deficiencies against bad defensive teams. As the defenses got better and the injuries along the O line built up, I think he would have been abused. He also had a habit of making questionable throws which worked against bad defenses.. against better defenses those would be interceptions.

Durty South Swamp

Founding Member
doodley doodley doo!
Lifetime Member
Jun 19, 2014
Founding Member
Maybe LSU, I don't think so against FSU, our Offensive line was the worst it has been in 30 years that game.. he might have came out of the game on a stretcher. He masked our deficiencies against bad defensive teams. As the defenses got better and the injuries along the O line built up, I think he would have been abused. He also had a habit of making questionable throws which worked against bad defenses.. against better defenses those would be interceptions.
I want to be clear because Im not sure we are on the same page. I was talking about last years game against halfassu, not this past weekend. I firmly believe we would have won that game. With trashcan harris we doubled the offensive output of fsu in every category except the scoreboard. We got to the redzone against them I believe 6 times in that game and got zero points. With Grier, we score on at least 2 or 3 of those trips and its a different ballgame where we are leading them instead of nobody doing anything until the dam breaks late in the game when the D finally gasses out.

That W against them plus what I believe would have been a W against lsu would have flipped the entire state and the perception of this program and would have gotten us a good class and some positivity. Oh well...

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
I want to be clear because Im not sure we are on the same page. I was talking about last years game against halfassu, not this past weekend. I firmly believe we would have won that game. With trashcan harris we doubled the offensive output of fsu in every category except the scoreboard. We got to the redzone against them I believe 6 times in that game and got zero points. With Grier, we score on at least 2 or 3 of those trips and its a different ballgame where we are leading them instead of nobody doing anything until the dam breaks late in the game when the D finally gasses out.

That W against them plus what I believe would have been a W against lsu would have flipped the entire state and the perception of this program and would have gotten us a good class and some positivity. Oh well...

I'm referring to last years against aginst the semenholes... we have a tackle who got ran over by a 210 pound safety and couldn't lift his arm above his head. This years line performance was awful, but nothing like the line we had last year during the game. When you say in the red zone 6 times, I believe you are referring to the 2014 game at FSU. Not last years game 27-2 where are only score was a safety.

Durty South Swamp

Founding Member
doodley doodley doo!
Lifetime Member
Jun 19, 2014
Founding Member
I'm referring to last years against aginst the semenholes... we have a tackle who got ran over by a 210 pound safety and couldn't lift his arm above his head. This years line performance was awful, but nothing like the line we had last year during the game. When you say in the red zone 6 times, I believe you are referring to the 2014 game at FSU. Not last years game 27-2 where are only score was a safety.
No im not, go back and look at the stats... we doubled them up in yardage and 1st downs last year.. but had zero points to show for it b/c treon sucked ass in the redzone and we had no one who could kick a FG.

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
No im not, go back and look at the stats... we doubled them up in yardage and 1st downs last year.. but had zero points to show for it b/c treon sucked ass in the redzone and we had no one who could kick a FG.

On my other screen I'm looking at the play by play...

Passing FSU 160 UF 134
Rushing FSU 144 UF 128
KO Return FSU 0 UF 36
Punt Return FSU 0 UF 4
FG Kicking FSU 2/2 UF 0/2
Punting FSU 7/333 UF 9/418
TOP FSU 27:35 UF 32:25

We got in the redzone 3 times, once was when the score was 20-2 with 3:54 left in the game, we crossed the 50 4 times.

On our 1 trip to the redzone, we had 3rd and 12 at the FSU 30, Taylor got us 10 yards to the FSU 20 (officially in the redzone). We went for it on 4th down in a 0-0 (3:42 left 1st Q) game was sacked.

Our second trip to the red zone 1st and 10 at the 12 (0:01 left 3rd quarter) tarylor for 3 yards, Harris run for 3 yards, Harris sacked by Team 13yards, blocked Field Goal (13-0)

Last trip 1st and Goal at the 10 (4:40 left in the 4th 20-2)
incomplete pass
0 yard gain run taylor
incomplete pass
0 yard gain run Harris

Durty South Swamp

Founding Member
doodley doodley doo!
Lifetime Member
Jun 19, 2014
Founding Member
On my other screen I'm looking at the play by play...

Passing FSU 160 UF 134
Rushing FSU 144 UF 128
KO Return FSU 0 UF 36
Punt Return FSU 0 UF 4
FG Kicking FSU 2/2 UF 0/2
Punting FSU 7/333 UF 9/418

We got in the redzone 3 times, once was when the score was 20-2 with 3:54 left in the game, we crossed the 50 4 times.

On our 1 trip to the redzone, we had 3rd and 12 at the FSU 30, Taylor got us 10 yards to the FSU 20 (officially in the redzone). We went for it on 4th down in a 0-0 (3:42 left 1st Q) game was sacked.

Our second trip to the red zone 1st and 10 at the 12 (0:01 left 3rd quarter) tarylor for 3 yards, Harris run for 3 yards, Harris sacked by Team 13yards, blocked Field Goal (13-0)

Last trip 1st and Goal at the 10 (4:40 left in the 4th 20-2)
incomplete pass
0 yard gain run taylor
incomplete pass
0 yard gain run Harris
could have sworn I read a whole article about us moving the ball all over them but not doing anything once in their territory. maybe it was a different game. I still think we win with Grier. I watched the game and was saying it the whole time... they couldn't do jack and if we just had a semblance of a passing game we would have torched them. Their secondary couldn't cover an infant with a blanket that game.

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
could have sworn I read a whole article about us moving the ball all over them but not doing anything once in their territory. maybe it was a different game. I still think we win with Grier. I watched the game and was saying it the whole time... they couldn't do jack and if we just had a semblance of a passing game we would have torched them. Their secondary couldn't cover an infant with a blanket that game.

that was 2014, we were in the redzone at least 6 times, and came away with jack.

2014 (24-19)
Passing UF 169 FSU 125
Rushing UF 113 FSU 181
Interceptions UF 4 FSU 2
KO Return UF 3/85 FSU 2/95
Punt Return UF 2/16 FSU 0
Kicking UF 4/6 FSU 1/1
Punting 3/139 FSU 3/109

7 drives made it to the Red Zone for UF.

Last edited:

ThreatMatrix

Lifetime Member
Aug 28, 2014
If we had <insert fantasy QB here> we would look better on paper. Score a few more points on the teams we beat. MAYBE win one of the three we lost. Recruiting might be a little better - maybe 5th in the SEC. But I'm afraid it would mask a deeper problem. About the best this staff would ever accomplish 10-11 regular season wins. Assuming SEC east continues to suck. Loss in SECCG and maybe 50/50 in bowls.
As it stands now Vandy, Kentucky and USCe are going to be next year's signature wins IF we're lucky.

Gator Fever

Founding Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
Mac's take on things might be our # 1 issue if he really thinks winning a crappy East can be considered success right now.

"The second-year coach was asked point-blank on Monday if, as a guy who was brought in to fix the offense, he's simply ready to get to the offseason so he can begin to fix it.

"I mean, it's obviously one of those things that you have to constantly evaluate and get better at," McElwain said. "I was also brought in here to get to Atlanta. How many years have I been here? OK."

Homer J

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Teams wouldn't be blitzing Joe fn Montana every down like they did AA, because Joe fn Montana would burn them. A good QB can make an average o-line look far better than they are.

Hell, a good QB can make an average TEAM look far better than they are.

Like the fsu QB is doing

Captain Sasquatch

Founding Member
Mr. SQ, the Sashole
BANNED
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
We've been cursed at QB, but our line has been especially bad the last few years. I think our last truly great OL was in '12.

TN G8tr

Founding Member
The "Original" TN G8tr
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
Mac's take on things might be our # 1 issue if he really thinks winning a crappy East can be considered success right now.

"The second-year coach was asked point-blank on Monday if, as a guy who was brought in to fix the offense, he's simply ready to get to the offseason so he can begin to fix it.

"I mean, it's obviously one of those things that you have to constantly evaluate and get better at," McElwain said. "I was also brought in here to get to Atlanta. How many years have I been here? OK."

If that is truly what he thinks, he's in for a rude awakening if he thinks that theory will hold out.

Concrete Helmet

Hook, Line, and Sinker
Lifetime Member
Jul 29, 2014
Grier played against defenses other than Missouri that were pretty bad... even Kentucky made LDR look serviceable. Would Grier look as good against LSU, FSU, and Alabama with the line that played during those games?
Yes because he didn't sh!t all over himself and run into the arms of a blitzing defender the way AA does....LDR has concrete shoes and about a 6.5 40 time.....Grier would burn the bejeesus out of some of the teams we've played this year....

Gator Fever

Founding Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
I doubt Grier would have changed our record much. Maybe a game like FSU last year.

They need to change the play calling besides getting Franks up to speed.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    TheFoodGator