10 takeaways from UF spring

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014
From the Miami Herald (pretty good stuff considering their usual take on UF football):

http://miamiherald.typepad.com/gato...om-ufs-spring-practice-orange-blue-debut.html

GAINESVILLE -- With spring camp in the books, here are 10 thoughts on Florida’s 15 practices and Friday’s Orange & Blue Debut.

1. Luke Del Rio is positioned to become Florida's ninth starting quarterback since Tim Tebow. Del Rio delivered a flawless performance in the spring game, exiting camp as the heavy favorite to out-right win UF’s latest quarterback derby. The Oregon State transfer competed 10 of 11 passes for 176 yards and two touchdowns -- with the noted caveat that Del Rio was carving up second- and- third-teamers.

Still, it was an impressive performance by the redshirt sophomore, and considering Del Rio’s experience in the system and general accuracy, it would be quite a surprise if anyone else takes the first snaps again UMass on Sept. 3.

2. Duke Dawson could be Florida’s next star in the secondary. The junior struggled for two years seeing limited snaps, but with several standouts off now to the NFL (Vernon Hargreaves, Keanu Neal, Brian Poole), Dawson stepped up this spring and embraced a newfound opportunity. Dawson grabbed a stranglehold on the nickel-back spot with an outstanding camp, as the former safety looks much more comfortable playing inside.

Dawson flashed as an upgrade in coverage compared to Poole, picking off two passes Friday night, including a 26-yard pick-six.

3. Florida’s pass rush shouldn’t miss a beat in the fall. The Gators’ edge rushers (veterans Bryan Cox Jr. and Jordan Sherit, along with youngsters Keivonnis Davis and Jabari Zuniga) gave UF’s offensive tackles fits Friday night, combining for 4 sacks and a forced fumble. Had it been a real game, the group likely would’ve doubled their total.

It's been that way most of the spring, too, as Davis and Zuniga both had really solid camps, while Cox, now a redshirt senior, appears primed for a breakout season…

4. … And yet, Florida’s offensive line still needs lots of work. The Gators allowed the most sacks in the nation last season (45), and their tackles didn’t do a whole lot this spring to inspire much confidence. The interior OL appears improved, but sophomore tackle Fred Johnson had a tough spring, while starting left tackle David Sharpe was inconsistent, too. The Gators will get former five-star recruit Martez Ivey (shoulder surgery) back in the fall, and they need him to be ready to play because there aren’t many options behind Sharpe or Johnson.

5. Kylan Johnson vaults into the mix at linebacker. Florida doesn’t have a ton of depth at linebacker, but Johnson concluded a strong spring with a standout performance Friday night. The former safety earned the start opposite of star linebacker Jarrad Davis, recording a team-high eight stops. The 6-1, 230-pound redshirt freshman also added an interception and a hurry, showcasing his versatility in the box. While Alex Anzalone is likely to start in the fall, Johnson emerged as another viable option -- especially against spread offenses.
6. Florida’s tight ends and tailbacks will be focal points in the passing game. Throughout the spring, McElwain praised both groups’ ability to make plays and the two units showed why on Friday night.

Of UF’s 27 completions in the spring game, 14 went to tight ends or tailbacks. C’yontai Lewis led all players with five catches for 79 yards, while JUCO-tailback Mark Thompson had three receptions for 25 yards. Lewis and DeAndre Goolsby (who caught a touchdown) are a formidable duo inside, as each tight end has the ability to challenge defenses vertically and make plays after the catch.

7. Feleipe Franks needs to redshirt. The four-star quarterback had a disastrous debut, throwing three interceptions on his first four pass attempts. The early enrollee is swimming mentally, struggling with reads and pass-progressions. The arm talent is obvious (see: late touchdown to Lewis) but a full year to learn the system and put on some weight would do wonders for Franks’ development and future confidence.

8. The Gators have a kicker. Eddy Pineiro wasn’t perfect Friday night, missing a pair of 50-yard field goals, but the Miami native displayed his rocket leg on nearly every kick. The JUCO-transfer bombed all his kickoffs, nailed all five PAT’s and drilled two field goals from 52+ yards.

Florida missed five extra points last season and didn’t hit a field goal longer than 43 yards, so Pineiro already represents an instant upgrade.

9. Many of UF’s early enrollees will see significant snaps in the fall. Along with Pineiro and Thompson, wideouts Dre Massey (2 catches for 29 yards and a score) and Joshua Hammond (3 catches for 24 yards) made plays Friday, concluding strong showings all spring by both receivers. Defensively, linebacker David Reese flashed some (3 tackles, 1 sack) and definitely should have a role on special teams. Freshman safety Chauncey Gardner remains in the mix for a starting job, too.

10. The Gators avoided the injury bug in camp. Aside from a few minor dings, McElwain’s team didn’t sustain any devastating injuries over the last month. Several notables didn’t play much (or at all) Friday night (defensive tackle CeCe Jefferson, linebacker Daniel McMillian, wideout Ahmad Fulwood) but avoiding any serious setbacks was key for a team that still has some depth issues.

crosscreekcooter

Founding Member
Cunning Linguist; RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Great writeup, right on target. #3 really speaks to #4

ATXGator

Founding Member
Austin Gator
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
Nice writeup.
#10 is really the most important IMO. Hope that trend keeps up.

Gatorphan

Founding Member
Clown Sniper
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
I don't remember seeing Gardner at safety. Did he play?

GatorBart

Founding Member
:bandit:
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
I don't remember seeing Gardner at safety. Did he play?
Law mentioned him at least once in one of his summaries in the spring game thread, and from what I remember, he said he made a nice strong tackle (what we would fully expect from Gardner).

Concrete Helmet

Hook, Line, and Sinker
Lifetime Member
Jul 29, 2014
I guess to summarize this best and what I took away from the game was this. Every position group on the field looked like they were actually coached this spring. I know that sounds crazy but in years past we all saw some real voids in certain areas, whether it was special teams(kinda hard to tell in a spring game) and especially offensive line. Players will get beat sometimes because they are physically overmatched and that's gonna happen. The good thing is I didn't see any players that looked totally ****ing lost. QB's and receivers were on the same page on every play I saw. That is a HUGE confidence builder for QB's. The oline is still overmatched but at least I didn't see anyone run past 2 guys without 1 of them at least trying to block the defender. Run blocking was MUCH better between the tackles although our tackles and TE's still need to do a better job when running to the perimeter. All in all we look like we are trying to become a complete team.

Gatorphan

Founding Member
Clown Sniper
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Law mentioned him at least once in one of his summaries in the spring game thread, and from what I remember, he said he made a nice strong tackle (what we would fully expect from Gardner).
Thanks GB.
He was on my list of people to watch, but it didn't happen. I'm going to watch for him when I watch it again on DVR.

NCOGator

Sep 5, 2014
I first was glad that we had a real Spring Game to begin with. I really like what LDR was able to do, but I really wish that he would've done it against the '1s" that would make me feel even better about him going into the fall. However at least he didn't look as bad as Franks. Nothing against Franks, I think he could develop to be a great QB, but like C2 said in another thread he was in over his head at this level. Finally I have to say that I honestly thought the #Trask4He15man crowd were trying to pull my leg on this, but I can see the kid has some talent. Trask looked better than Appleby, but I know most of his throws were against the 2's when Appleby's were against the 1's. All in all, I think we have a lot to be excited about and cannot wait till the season to kick off.

gatormandan

Are we back yet?
Lifetime Member
Oct 15, 2014
Overall, I think the majority of the team showed much more discipline. Hopefully this will translate into less penalties and wrong assignments like we have seen too much in the past.

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014
In #9, they don't mention Smith (at DE) as a freshman contributer in the fall. We have some DE's, but for development I think he plays this year. Hopefully he can put on 10-15lbs in the offseason and come in the fall over 240. Not sure if he gets much PT in the bigger games (vs. the better teams), but enough to give some reps and develop and be a contributer in 2017 (when we lose Cox).

alcoholica

Founding Member
I'm what Willis was talking about
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
In #9, they don't mention Smith (at DE) as a freshman contributer in the fall. We have some DE's, but for development I think he plays this year. Hopefully he can put on 10-15lbs in the offseason and come in the fall over 240. Not sure if he gets much PT in the bigger games (vs. the better teams), but enough to give some reps and develop and be a contributer in 2017 (when we lose Cox).
Don't forget Holley is moving outside, and Polite is a bigger DE, who is coming in the fall. Clayton will be a pure rush end, but is extremely talented

GatorBart

Founding Member
:bandit:
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
I'll be surprised if Holley manages to get on the field.
Unfortunately, you are probably correct.

Look out! Don't or you'll run through..................................Holley's hip.
anigif_enhanced-buzz-6855-1366056448-0.gif

alcoholica

Founding Member
I'm what Willis was talking about
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
I'll be surprised if Holley manages to get on the field.
yeah, I was trying to be a pumper and be optimistic. I see the error of my ways :(

in all seriousness, he does seem to have a glass hip

deuce

Founding Member
"Cry 'Havoc!', and let slip the dogs of war."
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
My take away.......... It was the best, most encouraging Spring Game in at least 7 years!

Delg8tor

Founding Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
I thought #2 was interesting. "with several standouts off now to the NFL (Vernon Hargreaves, Keanu Neal, Brian Poole)"
I would hardly call Poole a standout. It never failed to amaze me when we gave up a pass play of 20+ or a big first down on third or fourth and long, number 24 was always seemingly the one who got beat. I really can't fathom how he got as much playing time as he did.

Gatorphan

Founding Member
Clown Sniper
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
I thought #2 was interesting. "with several standouts off now to the NFL (Vernon Hargreaves, Keanu Neal, Brian Poole)"
I would hardly call Poole a standout. It never failed to amaze me when we gave up a pass play of 20+ or a big first down on third or fourth and long, number 24 was always seemingly the one who got beat. I really can't fathom how he got as much playing time as he did.
Neal was not a top preforming safety either, another year would of served him well.

TLB

Just chillin'
Lifetime Member
Jan 6, 2015
At one point, he was back to receive a punt.

I only made it thru the first drive, and saw the kickoff for the orange to come out under AA. Gardner was back to receive that kick off.

Again, only made it thru the fist drive so far, but wtf is up with sending Cronkrite into the flat? Heading out to there from behind the line his arms were waving like he was a chicken. And it appears his route was 'just go, run straight or something'. It doesn't present a threat to the defense, at least not the way he did it. However, I did like where he came back and chip blocked to get the runner free after that catch. Not enough to blind side and de-cleate, just a chip to say "Hi" and spring the receiver. I like that there wasn't a case of watching from on the field - if you have a chance to help, then help.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.