2014 World Cup Thread

heversle

Founding Member
Baba Booey Tata Toothy
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Anybody watch the Brazil/Croatia game today? Was not impressed with the Brazilians at all. This doesn't look like the same team I saw last year that dominated everybody in the Federation's Cup. Neymar was one of the lone bright spots for them today. The referee was the other. The ridiculous penalty call that led to Neymar's 2nd goal pretty much took the wind out of Croatia's sails. The Brazilian's should make that guy a national hero if they end up going on to win it all. Maybe it was just first game jitters, but they've got a lot of work to do if they want to win the whole tournament. Looking forward to seeing all the games tomorrow!

Thoughts?

Swamp Queen

Founding Member
Mrs. Sasquatch
BANNED
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
The penalty was BS. That goalie almost blocked it too! Brazil has to step up a bit more if they want to win the cup.

Captain Sasquatch

Founding Member
Mr. SQ, the Sashole
BANNED
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
I'm guessing it was first game jitters. Lots of pressure on the Brazilians to perform on their home turf. I about went through the roof when the Croatians got on the board first, but alas!

heversle

Founding Member
Baba Booey Tata Toothy
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
I think the Brazilian players would've been castrated had they lost this game. They've certainly got their work cut out for them.

I'm curious to see the Spain/Netherlands game tomorrow (rematch from the last World Cup Final). That should be an excellent game.

NVGator

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
I Believe That We Will Win! I Believe That We Will Win! I Believe That We Will Win! I Believe That We Will Win! I Believe That We Will Win!

G 2

Founding Member
Gator Great
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Captain Sasquatch;n1044 said:
I'm guessing it was first game jitters. Lots of pressure on the Brazilians to perform on their home turf. I about went through the roof when the Croatians got on the board first, but alas!

Bingo. There is a lot of soccer left to be played. The teams that go the deepest are the ones who get better as the tournament goes on.

deuce

Founding Member
"Cry 'Havoc!', and let slip the dogs of war."
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Interesting, not.

They can flip a coin for the winner.

BostonGator84

Founding Member
Infrequent Frequenter
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Pretty poor call from the ref. I'm looking forward to seeing if the USA will get out of their group. I'm doubtful yet naively optomistic. Kind of like how I feel about the Gator football team :-D

Jabberdave

Founding Member
Your mom is very pretty.
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
BostonGator84 said:
Pretty poor call from the ref. I'm looking forward to seeing if the USA will get out of their group. I'm doubtful yet naively optomistic. Kind of like how I feel about the Gator football team :-D
Same. Beat Ghana, at least draw with Portugal and nobody in this group is beating Germany. I dislike hoping to move on through goal differential, but that may be the best hope. Ronaldo did leave practice early yesterday with ice on his knee. He's had a few leg problems recently, so maybe he'll lose a step and not be the scoring threat that he usually is.

Bernardo de la Paz

Founding Member
Florida Victorious Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
I don't think they even need to stop the game unless it's in the final minutes. They could handle it like three point shots in basketball.

Jabberdave

Founding Member
Your mom is very pretty.
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
Bernardo de la Paz;n1510 said:
They need to start allowing video replay for goals.

No need. They're now using super secret NASA technology to determine when the ball completely crosses the goal line, A signal is then sent to the super secret NASA watch that the official is wearing. There was a pretty cool piece about this on one of the sports networks recently.

WobbleGator

Founding Member
Chatterbox Mod
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
No, because there are far more points in basketball so adding one point to a team does not have as much of an affect than adding one point to a soccer team.

Bernardo de la Paz

Founding Member
Florida Victorious Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Right, but because there are so few points scored in soccer it's much more important to get it right.

WobbleGator

Founding Member
Chatterbox Mod
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
So either you put technology on the nets, like lasers that set off a light when the ball crosses, or you stop play so they can check the goal out on video replay or you leave it the way it is now.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Birthdays

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    TheFoodGator