2018 Season Thoughts

UFHealthGator

Lifetime Member
Nov 12, 2017
A big part of the reason for my 10 win analysis was that I saw UF's schedule this year as pretty weak. In reality it turned out to be historically weak. FSU and UTn were awful. UK was a bit better than usual, but other than that every other team was about what they were expected to be. Really given this schedule, UF probably should have won 11 games.

You are clearly trolling at this point.

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
What he could have said is we traditionally haven't fared well in Starkville. Same applies to Oxford. Go figure. It is what it is.

Renard904

Voice of Reason
Lifetime Member
Oct 1, 2016
You lead with Mississippi State as a reason UF's schedule is tough? Just more evidence that UF fans are beaten down to a pulp by the last decade.

Think about this schedule:

1. Charleston Southern, they were not competitive with UF as everyone knew they would not be as an FCS team.
2. UK , maybe they were a little better than we thought, but maybe not. They are a 9-3, 5-3 team who would have been 8-4, 4-4 had UF not had an inexcusable home loss to them.
3. Colorado State, a 3-9 midmajor not competitive, as bad as expected.
4. @UTn, a bad program struggling to rebuild after a dumpster fire coaching search. Maybe a bit worse than expected.
5. @Miss State, another 8-4, 4-4 team and seriously Miss State does not have the player to compete with UF if you is decently coached and there are not a trap game. Maybe a tad worse than their preseason hype.
6. LSU, a 9-3 team coached by Orgeron, that is game that needs to be won at home every time it is played and were about what we expected this season.
7. @Vandy, another barely competitive opponent who were about what we expect every year.
8. UGa, the one challenge on this schedule and UF did lose this game.
9. UMo, another inexcusable home loss to a team that was 0-4 in the SEC at the time. Maybe a tad better than expected.
10. SoCar, another 6-5 not very good team without the athletes to hang with UF if UF is well coached and you know SoCar is not well coached. They were probably worse than we thought pre-season.
11. Idaho, another noncompetitive
11. FSU, as I said an historically bad poorly coached group of good athletes.

So FSU was much worse than expected, SoCar, UTn and Miss State were a bit worse than expected. Charleston Southern, Colorado State, Idaho, Vandy, UGa, LSU were about what we expected. UMo and UK were maybe a tad better than expected, but I am not sure UK did not belong in the about what we were expecting group. In total that adds up to a schedule worse than it looked like preseaons and one that UF very well should have gone 11-1 against.

UF should have beaten UK and UMo at home. Either of these losses is inexcusable. Losing both is sad. That said, as other have pointed out maybe UF could have won those two games and say lost at Miss State and to LSU, had the same record but a different feel to the season.
Dude, 4-7 happened. If you're telling me a UGA, Alabama or Clemson type team had this schedule then I'd agree. Hell, you could pick any 4-7 team in the country and I'd bet you any amount of cash I could manage, that they won't win 11 games next year. That's how ridiculous that is.

T REX

Founding Member
Jun 24, 2014
Founding Member
Not sure how anyone could call this anything less than a successful year. Lots to be happy about. I wont go into details but we ended well. Dan did a great job.

YLGator

Lifetime Member
Jan 14, 2016
It was clearly a good year. But just as clearly, the jury is still out. That’s not a bad thing. The signs were there with our last two hires. Those same signs are not present yet. Let’s see how recruiting ends and from there, season two will start shedding some light on whether 9-3 is the floor or the ceiling.

InstiGATOR1

Lifetime Member
Mar 27, 2016
It was clearly a good year. But just as clearly, the jury is still out. That’s not a bad thing. The signs were there with our last two hires. Those same signs are not present yet. Let’s see how recruiting ends and from there, season two will start shedding some light on whether 9-3 is the floor or the ceiling.

Exactly, the FSU win was really satisfying, but they are terrible. But as you said jury is still out.

deuce

Founding Member
"Cry 'Havoc!', and let slip the dogs of war."
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
I think 9-3 beats the living chit out of 4-7.......

Some people :headslap:

Renard904

Voice of Reason
Lifetime Member
Oct 1, 2016
I agree. I know there were other factors for 4-7 than just a lack of talent. And of course, I think a good coach would have greatly improved the team. Which is exactly what Mullen did. Went from 4-7 to 9-3 in 1 year. That's extreme improvement. My point with the bet was just highlighting how unrealistic it is to "expect" 10 or 11 wins after winning only 4 the previous year. I know that it's possible. I just know that no one would have the courage to make such a bold proclamation with money on the line.

jdh5484

Founding Member
Just Beat UGa
Lifetime Member
Jun 30, 2014
Founding Member
giphy.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.