Recruiting 2020 Recruiting Thread: Gervon Dexter gets 5th Star on Rivals

Status
Not open for further replies.

Slevin

Law’s Alter-Ego
BANNED
Aug 12, 2014
This is a great post from 247 (not vip) that’s worth sharing on the roster talent flip:

We all would like to land a few more of the truly elite players, but apart from that, the roster has greatly improved since 2017. Some examples:

• By my count, there were 27 blue chippers on the 2017 team and at this point there will be 48 on the 2020 team
  • The average player rating has increased from .8854 to .9033
  • The depth will be hugely better in 2020. The average rating of offensive and defensive non-starters in 2017 was .8741, in 2020 it will be around .9027 (though this admittedly requires some projection)
  • Shawn Davis (.8875) was the 28th highest rated player on the 2017 team, but will be only the 49th highest this year. That #28 spot has jumped from Davis at .8875 to Trey Dean at .9222
  • This year we lose Nick Buchanan (#69 highest ranked on the 2017 team, .8274). His replacement at #69? Richie Leonard, with a rating of .8633

Slevin

Law’s Alter-Ego
BANNED
Aug 12, 2014
90.67 is still a pretty average star rating though
The punter brings it down

91.19 without him

This is without the possible addition of SVP, Gibbs, and Avantae Williams, all over 93. Gibbs is now top 90 on rivals as well.

Last edited:

JDW

Lifetime Member
Jul 18, 2018
Yeah I know the other thing that brings it down is the low 4star guys...but getting that punter in the class was needed

Slevin

Law’s Alter-Ego
BANNED
Aug 12, 2014
Yeah I know the other thing that brings it down is the low 4star guys...but getting that punter in the class was needed
247 has a kid that caught 8 passes his senior year as a five star because he ran fast in shorts. The ratings aren’t an end all be all. Beckwith, a low 4 star athlete is an elite Kyle Pitts type tight end. Blue chippers are blue chippers and we do a good job of getting kids that fit what we need

JDW

Lifetime Member
Jul 18, 2018
247 has a kid that caught 8 passes his senior year as a five star because he ran fast in shorts. The ratings aren’t an end all be all. Beckwith, a low 4 star athlete is an elite Kyle Pitts type tight end. Blue chippers are blue chippers and we do a good job of getting kids that fit what we need

I agree with that sentiment about Beckwith and I honestly think we get him

alcoholica

Founding Member
I'm what Willis was talking about
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member

question because I’m ignorant.

it seems that with more spread teams come more light in the ass LBs for coverage. At least that’s what I’ve seen said at various times. So assuming that’s true, how would you scheme defensively against a UGA, or Wisconsin?

My initial thought was actually running some version of a 5-2 to clog the LOS so the lighter LBs had a chance to tackle against low momentum. I’m sure this is severely flawed.

just not sure how someone builds a defense to handle both unless you have some absolute studs at LB

GatorJ

Founding Member
Hopeful
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
This is a great post from 247 (not vip) that’s worth sharing on the roster talent flip:

We all would like to land a few more of the truly elite players, but apart from that, the roster has greatly improved since 2017. Some examples:

• By my count, there were 27 blue chippers on the 2017 team and at this point there will be 48 on the 2020 team
  • The average player rating has increased from .8854 to .9033
  • The depth will be hugely better in 2020. The average rating of offensive and defensive non-starters in 2017 was .8741, in 2020 it will be around .9027 (though this admittedly requires some projection)
  • Shawn Davis (.8875) was the 28th highest rated player on the 2017 team, but will be only the 49th highest this year. That #28 spot has jumped from Davis at .8875 to Trey Dean at .9222
  • This year we lose Nick Buchanan (#69 highest ranked on the 2017 team, .8274). His replacement at #69? Richie Leonard, with a rating of .8633

Great breakdown

lizardbreath

Nov 5, 2016
While you are technically correct about the "low 4* guys," it's worth noting that they are undeniably much better prospects than the 2* & 3* recruits that peppered the roster bequeathed to DM by McDoofus. And this is, after all, a process that is not yet complete - and won't be for another cycle at least. Incidentally, I agree that the punter was a take, regardless of his effect on the average star rating. But the big news here remains that we now have several "elite" talents in the house, with a distinct possibility of more on the way. That was not the case before DM - stay tuned.

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014
question because I’m ignorant.

it seems that with more spread teams come more light in the ass LBs for coverage. At least that’s what I’ve seen said at various times. So assuming that’s true, how would you scheme defensively against a UGA, or Wisconsin?

My initial thought was actually running some version of a 5-2 to clog the LOS so the lighter LBs had a chance to tackle against low momentum. I’m sure this is severely flawed.

just not sure how someone builds a defense to handle both unless you have some absolute studs at LB

That's partially true - the smaller LBs. Saban has been recruiting/breeding the 'hybrid' types for several years now. The kid at Clemson, Isaiah Simmons, is a perfect example - he's played ILB, WDE, DE, CB, Safety, and OLB this year:

But they also have the 6' 240lb middle LB (the kid who got thrown out for the head shot in the 3rd quarter). We need one of those on the roster (David Reese was a similar player).

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Hopper, Wingo, Black (should be back in the winter), Pierre is a good nucleus. I think they like Baby Reese at ilb too.
That is three safeties and two outside linebackers.

So far our "convert safeties and OLBs to ILB" is hitting 0.000. They've already moved Baby Reese to Blitz end, like 15 other guys.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
That descriptor doesn't get enough play

Otherwise, great to hear some continuing good news on the recruiting front.
I miss George Jefferson.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Birthdays

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member