Status
Not open for further replies.

jaywalker72

Founding Member
Current Status: Dumper
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
Great article from Will Sammon on our improvement on in-state relationships and moving towards the goal of locking down the state of Florida as the cornerstone of annual recruiting (subs req'd for story).

Nice chart included here on our improvement and, in the article, Will lists out the constant appearances of the staff at local HS, the improvement in off-field staffers such as Keiwan, Chaney, Herron. Good read, overall, and a look at how the improvement we are seeing is the kind that is sustainable and necessary for a rise back to the top.

“Our focus in Florida has been huge,” Mullen said. “You always got to start close to home. And not that we are not nationally recruiting — we got guys from all over the country that are coming in — but your foundation still has to be from the state of Florida.”

“You can get caught in national recruiting very easily and ignore your state,” Mullen said.

How Dan Mullen and Florida are making crucial in-state...

florida-in-state.png

maheo30

WiLLLLLLLie! WiLLLLLLLie!
Lifetime Member
Jul 24, 2014
I think we tend to underestimate the rebuild Mullen had to deal with.

1. I'm not pulling all the articles up, but go read about Michael Tarquin's recruitment. He was by no means the only one. Thanks to Butters, UF had a terrible reputation with high school coaches, parents, and recruits.

2. How many schools have we not recruited for years? I know Chump and Butters didn't touch Jacksonville. I listened to the coaches being interviewed on the radio. They said Florida never contacted them. There was no relationship at all. The high school writer here locally said the same thing.

3. In addition, I don't think Mullen is a great salesman like Kirby or Jimbo. He does his recruiting through relationships. I think that is why it took a while to get the ball rolling. Now, Mullen needs to take the next step and start signing the elite guys.

5-Star Finger

Apex predator of the political forum biome
Lifetime Member
Nov 16, 2017
I work with a lot of young players. My guys are on the cusp of high school. The most important thing to these guys is the experience. They don't have much specific brand loyalty. They love the flashy stuff and are extremely materialistic. I think people tend to underestimate the severe disadvantage our lackluster facilities have in recruiting. I know we talk about it a lot here, but I believe it is even a bigger deal than a lot of people here give it credit for.

Most of these kids want and believe they deserve a lavish experience - that just ain't the case at UF right now. As much as crusty middle aged dudes like myself may look on these kinds of attitudes with disdain due to our upbringing in a time where the cultural zeitgeist was far different; what ought to be seldom determines what is.

jaywalker72

Founding Member
Current Status: Dumper
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
I work with a lot of young players. My guys are on the cusp of high school. The most important thing to these guys is the experience. They don't have much specific brand loyalty. They love the flashy stuff and are extremely materialistic. I think people tend to underestimate the severe disadvantage our lackluster facilities have in recruiting. I know we talk about it a lot here, but I believe it is even a bigger deal than a lot of people here give it credit for.

Most of these kids want and believe they deserve a lavish experience - that just ain't the case at UF right now. As much as crusty middle aged dudes like myself may look on these kinds of attitudes with disdain due to our upbringing in a time where the cultural zeitgeist was far different; what ought to be seldom determines what is.
Certainly, that is the next step - they have to get that Gator-Utopia built with the improved weight room, as well as the barber shop, recording studio, etc. But, as the chart shows above, they have started to get the relationships rebuilt so that the new facilities can have a clear path for impact.

5-Star Finger

Apex predator of the political forum biome
Lifetime Member
Nov 16, 2017
Certainly, that is the next step - they have to get that Gator-Utopia built with the improved weight room, as well as the barber shop, recording studio, etc. But, as the chart shows above, they have started to get the relationships rebuilt so that the new facilities can have a clear path for impact.

I'm encouraged with what I'm starting to see. I think it will be extremely tough to go toe to toe with the big boys on the regular and win until we are close to on par with what they are offering. I like a lot of the guys we are getting - especially from an attitude perspective.

alcoholica

Founding Member
I'm what Willis was talking about
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
CBs rolling in for EJ Smith. Rolling for both Stanford and A&M. Wiltfong dipped his balls for Stanford.

May need to take another look at the Tulane 2*

Mr2Bits

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 24, 2014
Founding Member
For those worried about WR....Ill leave this here so you can stop complaining

Gave verbals last week are stil Avante Williams and Tim Smith (although Bama is in his ear hard)

Sam Brown is pretty much locked up and Harris, Pinder are leans with Washington and UGA losing ground to us!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.