Recruiting 2024 Recruiting Thread: 4* 315 pound DL D'antre Robinson commits

Silverback Gator

Lifetime Member
Aug 1, 2018
All I was saying is that todays college game pretty much demands a mobile quarterback. Way harder to defend at this level than a traditional pro-style QB.
Pro style but can run seems reasonable. georgia's smallish, pro style QB torched us and ran very well when needed. Bama hasn't won with a DT QB. But I see your point.

Zambo

Founding Member
Poo Flinger
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Pro style but can run seems reasonable. georgia's smallish, pro style QB torched us and ran very well when needed. Bama hasn't won with a DT QB. But I see your point.
Right I’m not talking about Mahomes here. Hurts, Tua, Young could all move very well. Hell Burrows legs are the reason LSU pulled out a few close Ws that could have been Ls. Sanders at Colorado isn’t a run first qb but his ability to buy time means someone gets open eventually. Mertz may be able to throw a ball through a tire with the best of them but the fact is if the receivers aren’t open our play is pretty much dead, and our guys aren’t open way too often with our pedestrian scheme.

GatorJ

Founding Member
Hopeful
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
This made me think, and go back to check the box score. Caveat - I am a football idiot, so anything I spout may be completely wrong. But...

We all know Etienne and Johnson are our workhorses, and the running stats don't show we used as we did last year. Box says TrEt got 7 carries for 25y (most for anyone), while MoJo got 3 carries for 6y (ugh). That is 10 carries in the run game out of a box score 21 run attempts (counting 8 run/sacks by Mertz). If we ignore Mertz, our RB tandem got 10/13 running plays, and we weren't gaining much with that.

Contrast it with the passing game. Mertz went 31/44, but of those completions TrEt got 4 for 12y while MoJo got 3 for 41y = more production for both players. I didn't watch the game, so I don't know how much of those were check downs vs called passes to the RBs coming out of the backfield. BUT, this shows me we WERE feeding our best players. and the RBs are part of that "2 man routes"...I hope. Moreover, that leaves 24 completions to 9 other guys = spreading it around, making the defense account for everyone.
We supposedly had a couple kids dinged up. Montrell was dinged up in the first half.

abefroman

Sausage King
Lifetime Member
Oct 3, 2019
There’s a lot of competent coaching I’ve watched this weekend, just none coming from the UF sideline.

chris-farley-snl.gif

Lucius

Jan 25, 2023

The 247 2023 Talent Composite was just released. The Gators are surprisingly #15 in the country with an average rating of 89.38 per player.

I was expecting a jump from #14 last year a couple spots due to the last class having a higher average (91.41).

This seems to have been derailed due to the large volume of transfers coming in, with the composite assigning player scores based on high school recruit rating (not transfer ratings).

I think the talent composite should use transfer ratings of players over high school ratings because they should be more accurate as to potential at the NCAA Div1 level, but as of now this is not the case.

High impact transfers are listed in the composite score with their high school ratings (Montrell Johnson - 86.07, Caleb Banks - 85.78, Cam Jackson - 86.82, Ricky Pearsall - 84.78), which doesn't seem aligned to current production at all.

Hopefully, 247 updates the composite to use players' transfer ratings over high school ratings if a transfer took place, which would improve the overall metric by quite a bit.

Regardless, if the 2024 class holds up (91.93 AVG) and continues to grow, we should see a jump in the composite next year.

Last edited:

Back Alley Gator

Lifetime Member
Jul 16, 2018

The 247 2023 Talent Composite was just released. The Gators are surprisingly #15 in the country with an average rating of 89.38 per player.

I was expecting a jump from #14 last year a couple spots due to the last class having a higher average (91.41).

This seems to have been derailed due to the large volume of transfers coming in, with the composite assigning player scores based on high school recruit rating (not transfer ratings).

I think the talent composite should use transfer ratings of players over high school ratings because they should be more accurate as to potential at the NCAA Div1 level, but as of now this is not the case.

High impact transfers are listed in the composite score with their high school ratings (Montrell Johnson - 86.07, Caleb Banks - 85.78, Cam Jackson - 86.82, Ricky Pearsall - 84.78), which doesn't seem aligned to current production at all.

Hopefully, 247 updates the composite to use players' transfer ratings over high school ratings if a transfer took place, which would improve the overall metric by quite a bit.

Regardless, if the 2024 class holds up (91.93 AVG) and continues to grow, we should see a jump in the composite next year.
I don't really care about composites. I'd rather see a jump in the win/loss ratio.

jdh5484

Founding Member
Just Beat UGa
Lifetime Member
Jun 30, 2014
Founding Member

Remember Utahs composite rating is 33.

Daryl

Lifetime Member
Nov 11, 2017

Yes, we have talent but its also inexperienced.

maheo30

WiLLLLLLLie! WiLLLLLLLie!
Lifetime Member
Jul 24, 2014

Using the high school ratings for transfers is stupid. That’s Biden level idiocy.

Last edited:

Bait'n Gator

Go away..... bait'n
Lifetime Member
Mar 14, 2015
Using the high school ratings is stupid. That’s Biden level idiocy.
Which ratings should it use to estimate a teams overall talent level then? In my opinion it's pretty damn accurate. Alabama, UGA and tOSU are in the playoffs every fuching year and also in the top 4 or 5 on this list every year. The 3 biggest outliers are A&M, Mich and us.

Just throws shyt in the face of all the dumb asses that believe our talent matches our production every year. We've been in the 5-15 range every year since Muschanp, we've just had shyt coaching since Meyer.

maheo30

WiLLLLLLLie! WiLLLLLLLie!
Lifetime Member
Jul 24, 2014
Which ratings should it use to estimate a teams overall talent level then? In my opinion it's pretty damn accurate. Alabama, UGA and tOSU are in the playoffs every fuching year and also in the top 4 or 5 on this list every year. The 3 biggest outliers are A&M, Mich and us.

Just throws shyt in the face of all the dumb asses that believe our talent matches our production every year. We've been in the 5-15 range every year since Muschanp, we've just had shyt coaching since Meyer.
I’m talking about for transfers. Should Montrell really still have his high school rating? I edited my comment to be more specific.

t-gator

Founding Member
too sexy for my shirt
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
We just lost a pretty big peice of this class. Micheal bureau. Was our best dline commitment.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.