Recruiting 2024 Transfer Portal Thread: USC offensive lineman Jason Zandamela headed to UF

Spurdog98

Preston Brooks
Lifetime Member
Jan 3, 2018
I admit, it was a decent package. But for what the university received, it was sometimes less than the value of the athlete. But okay. If it were you, which would you like more, the money and full ride with ability to transfer only the full ride and handcuffs?
The value of the athlete? What's the value of college football player, or wait a HS player that hasn't played a fuqing down in CF? Give me the value of Kenneth Tookes, Mike Gibson, Steve Shipp, Brian Haugabrook and Reggie Lewis. That is a mix of the 2013, 2006 and 1997 class of WRs. 3 times UF ever signed and sealed the deal with 5 top superpreps receivers. Neither time, however, did anyone make much of an impact as a freshman. And only three of the 10 developed into playmakers for the Gators. The risk that a University takes bringing in athletes and giving them a full ride if far greater than any risk the athlete is taking on the University. And when you transfer you might have to sit out a year but you can still practice, workout and be part of the team. It's not alot different than a redshirt.

tharber

Oct 10, 2020
Football and institutional programs have forgotten the value of an education, room and board, meals, etc. Some of us played football just because we loved the game and wanted that degree. These kids today are in a hurry to get paid and will find themselves back ion the hood before they know it. SMH.

Double Gator Dad

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Football and institutional programs have forgotten the value of an education, room and board, meals, etc. Some of us played football just because we loved the game and wanted that degree. These kids today are in a hurry to get paid and will find themselves back ion the hood before they know it. SMH.

If you have been paying attention to what’s been happening in the Ivy League these days maybe we’ve been overvaluing a college education.

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014

Very well stated. And ironically, those very same people that dismiss that value as nothing are the same people who are up in arms about student loan debt. Either having college paid for is a huge deal or it’s not. I’ve said before, I have no problem with a healthy argument. But just pick one, because you’re not having them both.

jdh5484

Founding Member
Just Beat UGa
Lifetime Member
Jun 30, 2014
Founding Member
The CEO to worker pay ratio last year in the U.S. was 344 to 1.

BN makes $7M a year. $7M/344 = $20K.

Players should make approx $20K per year. This is the starting point.

Take tuition, books, meals, room, health etc out of that.

Or just get rid of athletic scholarships altogether.

Let the NFL start and fund thier own minor leagues , off campus.

Last edited:

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member

Players should make approx $20K per year. Take tuition, books, meals, room, health etc out of that.

I have no problem with them getting paid, but they can also use that money to pay for classes, books, room and board, etc... like any other college student with a job.

Durty South Swamp

Founding Member
doodley doodley doo!
Lifetime Member
Jun 19, 2014
Founding Member

Players should make approx $20K per year. Take tuition, books, meals, room, health etc out of that.

for those who are making money, i agree with the above. No problem having my tax dollars go to help kids get an education, but when they arent getting an education, and on top of that making a profit playing sports, they can pay their own dang way.

Mr2Bits

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 24, 2014
Founding Member

Players should make approx $20K per year. This is the starting point.

Take tuition, books, meals, room, health etc out of that.

Let the NFL start and fund thier own minor leagues , off campus.
25-30 years ago it was like 45:1

Silverback Gator

Lifetime Member
Aug 1, 2018
The value of the athlete? What's the value of college football player, or wait a HS player that hasn't played a fuqing down in CF? Give me the value of Kenneth Tookes, Mike Gibson, Steve Shipp, Brian Haugabrook and Reggie Lewis. That is a mix of the 2013, 2006 and 1997 class of WRs. 3 times UF ever signed and sealed the deal with 5 top superpreps receivers. Neither time, however, did anyone make much of an impact as a freshman. And only three of the 10 developed into playmakers for the Gators. The risk that a University takes bringing in athletes and giving them a full ride if far greater than any risk the athlete is taking on the University. And when you transfer you might have to sit out a year but you can still practice, workout and be part of the team. It's not alot different than a redshirt.
If it were non revenue sports I would agree. But exactly because players make a team and generate tens of millions in revenue, I am okay with NIL though the system is bogus. The players do almost nothing re N I L. A guy like Simple making millions but the players nothing? Seems wrong to me.

Spurdog98

Preston Brooks
Lifetime Member
Jan 3, 2018
If it were non revenue sports I would agree. But exactly because players make a team and generate tens of millions in revenue, I am okay with NIL though the system is bogus. The players do almost nothing re N I L. A guy like Simple making millions but the players nothing? Seems wrong to me.
I think we've swung the pendulum well beyond "nothing".

Silverback Gator

Lifetime Member
Aug 1, 2018
I think we've swung the pendulum well beyond "nothing".
If you believe players should not be paid, that’s fine. Many agree. But there are few that agree who would not, if they had the option, sign with a school for the full ride only- turn down $100k a season NIL if it were available.

The biggest issue I have is that, as far as I know, staff cannot tie performance expectations to NIL packages, which seems difficult to manage because they are not employees.

I look forward to women’s soccer filing suit because they are not paid like their MALE, overly aggressive, co-ed banging, football player co-student athletes.

B52G8rAC

SAC Trained Warrior
Lifetime Member
Feb 15, 2016
If you believe players should not be paid, that’s fine. Many agree. But there are few that agree who would not, if they had the option, sign with a school for the full ride only- turn down $100k a season NIL if it were available.

The biggest issue I have is that, as far as I know, staff cannot tie performance expectations to NIL packages, which seems difficult to manage because they are not employees.

I look forward to women’s soccer filing suit because they are not paid like their MALE, overly aggressive, co-ed banging, football player co-student athletes.
I look forward to real institutions of higher education eliminating special admissions. Maybe an independent organization can screen every applicant for relative academic standing and make sure only the best qualified get admitted. Then athletic departments could recruit only from the students admitted.

Concrete Helmet

Hook, Line, and Sinker
Lifetime Member
Jul 29, 2014
I've been saying this for 20 years....give them 4 years eligibility(only1 additional year for injury), food, boarding, training and nutritional support. They MUST attend classes and can qualify for a degree but none are given scholly's, just a free education. "Starting pay" is about 15K for freshmen with a 10k "raise" for each year afterward....small bonuses for all conference/all american honors....small bonuses say 3-5k for conference championship, bowl appearance, 10k for playoff birth, 20k for NC. Any convictions, bye bye...drug testing mandatory, 1 failed drug test depending on substance found.

To prevent rashes of BS transfers a player would forfit the "graduating" annual raise unless they are a senior or there has been a coaching change(head coach only)...

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Birthdays

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    TheFoodGator