Recruiting 2024 Transfer Portal Thread: USC offensive lineman Jason Zandamela headed to UF

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014
Florida was his dream school yet he committed to Texas?
Have they changed the definition of the word dream?

Tebow has openly talked about how close he was to signing with Alabama. Aaron Murray grew up a Gator fan. And Demps and the Pouncey’s grew up wanting to play for the noles. Sometimes circumstances, be it coaching staffs, systems or anything else, dictate where a kid decides to play.

jdh5484

Founding Member
Just Beat UGa
Lifetime Member
Jun 30, 2014
Founding Member
If you have NFL ability, you want to be in the best position for that contract. The difference between 1.2 million and no real visibility to the NFL and 1 million with NFL visibility is huge for long term development.
You Got It Yes GIF by CBC

LagoonGator68

Founding Member
mostly peaceful protester
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Tebow has openly talked about how close he was to signing with Alabama. Aaron Murray grew up a Gator fan. And Demps and the Pouncey’s grew up wanting to play for the noles. Sometimes circumstances, be it coaching staffs, systems or anything else, dictate where a kid decides to play.
Derrick Henry was a lifelong Gator fan from nearby Yulee, FL and a 6’3”, 240 lb. All Star RB. Muschimp had him down for an official visit and told him he was too big to play RB and would have to play LB for the mighty Gators.

When Derrick said no, Muschimp claimed he was an undesirable troublemaker who acted out on his official visit. Saban just laughed his ass off and welcomed Derrick as starting RB as a freshman who had speed to burn In addition to his size.

B52G8rAC

SAC Trained Warrior
Lifetime Member
Feb 15, 2016
If you have NFL ability, you want to be in the best position for that contract. The difference between 1.2 million and no real visibility to the NFL and 1 million with NFL visibility is huge for long term development.
As someone said, a lot of these young men, and their families, have never thought of having a million dollars (reminds me of a line from the Beverly Hillbillies), so another 200k is compelling. In any class, 5 to 7 percent make it to the NFL. With those odds, what would you do?

B52G8rAC

SAC Trained Warrior
Lifetime Member
Feb 15, 2016
Alabama’s current predicament says otherwise. Kids were focused on what Saban and Co would do for their future, not just a quick NIL fix.
Their "current" predicament is they are shedding blue chippers to the schools offerring the best NIL deals. Saban's name may have had a monetary worth but he is gone now.

bacongator

Oct 10, 2014
Alabama’s current predicament says otherwise. Kids were focused on what Saban and Co would do for their future, not just a quick NIL fix.
I think this is right. If you wanted to play college football at your dream school, you committed to Florida. If you wanted to play in the NFL, you committed to Alabama.

Silverback Gator

Lifetime Member
Aug 1, 2018
But if you win Florida, you'll win in recruiting, and then you'll be winning period. And it's true as we have seen before and now becoming more evident with the portal and transfers.
Haven't quite a lot of our departures, regardless of why they moved on, been Florida players, many four star highly rated out of HS?

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014
As someone said, a lot of these young men, and their families, have never thought of having a million dollars (reminds me of a line from the Beverly Hillbillies), so another 200k is compelling. In any class, 5 to 7 percent make it to the NFL. With those odds, what would you do?

But you’re arguing anecdotally against facts on the ground. You really think uga is just running the best NIL arrangement the last 7 years, or do you think they’re pointing to trophies and first three round draft selections?

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Except for the true-Blue Chips, the guys with NFL ability, that argument doesn't hold. Alabama, Georgia isn't running the top teir NIL programs. They are point to number of players that are first round picks. And first round selections, still make vastly more money than any NIL deal being made right now.

B52G8rAC

SAC Trained Warrior
Lifetime Member
Feb 15, 2016
But you’re arguing anecdotally against facts on the ground. You really think uga is just running the best NIL arrangement the last 7 years, or do you think they’re pointing to trophies and first three round draft selections?
I am going to say this in short words and type very slowly. We are not Alabama nor Georgia. TAMU is not Texas. UCLA is not USC. And here is the hard part, we will never be.

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
I am going to say this in short words and type very slowly. We are not Alabama nor Georgia. TAMU is not Texas. UCLA is not USC. And here is the hard part, we will never be.

And in short words... that is why we are competing where we are.... we aren't going to get that kind of talent until we can prove to be a real pipeline to the NFL and really competing for trophies... It has very little to do with the NIL as much as the current environment in the building.

B52G8rAC

SAC Trained Warrior
Lifetime Member
Feb 15, 2016
And in short words... that is why we are competing where we are.... we aren't going to get that kind of talent until we can prove to be a real pipeline to the NFL and really competing for trophies... It has very little to do with the NIL as much as the current environment in the building.
Ain't our job. Let the NFL pay for a D league.

Silverback Gator

Lifetime Member
Aug 1, 2018
Right. Five years ago georgia wasn't georgia and Texas was not Texas. 15 years ago, Florida was Florida. Have to reestablish.

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Ain't our job. Let the NFL pay for a D league.

While I agree that the NFL should, they aren't going to with the current set up. Why pay for something two other organizations are giving to you for free (NCAA and UFL).

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014

I’ll see your succinctly stated mostly irrelevant statement with my own. Salmon swim upstream into fresh water to spawn. Tuna, on the other hand, spend their entire lives in the ocean. Both can be great sushi, but it really depends on how it’s prepared.

jdh5484

Founding Member
Just Beat UGa
Lifetime Member
Jun 30, 2014
Founding Member
I’ll see your succinctly stated mostly irrelevant statement with my own. Salmon swim upstream into fresh water to spawn. Tuna, on the other hand, spend their entire lives in the ocean. Both can be great sushi, but it really depends on how it’s prepared.
Sushi is best prepared by sticking it on the end of a fish hook.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.