785 Vikings vs Saxons

NVGator

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Quality thread. Would read again. Good work on the thread title as well.

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014
Saxons had loads of talent but could never get a decent offensive push on the field. Hell, it took them half a century to install a crossbow, rather than just using a non-athletic archer to run their system.

5-Star Finger

Apex predator of the political forum biome
Lifetime Member
Nov 16, 2017
I will see your Saxon battle and raise you a battle for western civilization. October 10th, 732, Battle of Tours. Charles the Hammer tossed the Umayyad Caliphate back to the Iberian Peninsula. His grandson would go on to lead what the Germans would refer to as the Frankenreich - the forerunner of the Holy Roman Empire.

upload_2020-5-27_12-38-26.png

(Obviously ignore the 12th century mail and arming swords - the painter wasn't there to see it - but you get the idea.)

You can see it now on the Ocho.

Last edited:

Slug

I fcuking hate people.
Lifetime Member
Jul 2, 2014
I will see your Saxon battle and raise you a battle for western civilization. October 10th, 732, Battle of Tours. Charles the Hammer tossed the Umayyad Caliphate back to the Iberian Peninsula. His grandson would go on to lead what the Germans would go on to refer to as the Frankenreich - the forerunner of the Holy Roman Empire.

(Obviously ignore the 12th century mail and arming swords - the painter wasn't there to see it - but you get the idea.)

You can see it now on the Ocho.
I'll definitely tune in for a replay of that

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
than just using a non-athletic archer to run their system.
I always prefer a longbow guy. It's nice if he can run too, but just having a big accurate bow is all that really matters.

5-Star Finger

Apex predator of the political forum biome
Lifetime Member
Nov 16, 2017
I always prefer a longbow guy. It's nice if he can run too, but just having a big accurate bow is all that really matters.

Maybe - but you have to admit that the Fatalities Per Shot stat favors the crossbow. I'm a bit sentimental for the old days too, though. I think we could still run the cavalry wedge play, except when playing against the Pikeman.

TLB

Just chillin'
Lifetime Member
Jan 6, 2015
No link. You lose points.

Without data, it's just anecdotal. A population of one silly fight.

QueenCityGator

University of Florida Alumnus
Aug 12, 2014
Football - Alfred University

THE Alfred University Saxons (they're snooty like THE Ohio State), in the middle of nowhere in upstate/western NY, finished last season with a 5-5 record. Maybe they would've had a chance against the Minnesota Vikings nearly 1300 seasons ago.

Slug

I fcuking hate people.
Lifetime Member
Jul 2, 2014
Football - Alfred University

THE Alfred University Saxons (they're snooty like THE Ohio State), in the middle of nowhere in upstate/western NY, finished last season with a 5-5 record. Maybe they would've had a chance against the Minnesota Vikings nearly 1300 seasons ago.
I went back through the ESPN/ History channel archives and found some footage of that epic game. I believe it went to double OT.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    TheFoodGator