Albums You Love

Gatordiddy

Member in good standing
Lifetime Member
Jul 23, 2014
Ever since I started playing guitar back as a teen, I realized pretty quickly that studio cuts (which is what we all heard on the radio) didn't always reflect a group's/musician's ability. Re-dubbing, mixing, editing, etc., can make some folks sound much better than they really are. You give me a tune I know well from the radio(studio version) and then do it live---There is the real measure of talent. The true artists can normally make it sound better live-oftentimes, much better--and that's when I give them the true credit they're due.

And like you, why would anyone want to hear/see a live performance that is virtually identical to the studio version? You could save a bunch of money and sit at home to hear the same thing. I want something different than studio--and almost always I'm rewarded with a much, much better version. I've only hear a couple of groups that were actually worse live than in studio. Not always their fault....case in point--ZZ Top. Saw them first time back in early 70's. Ended up seeing them several times throughout the 70s as well. Don't get me wrong, I enjoyed them each time.....BUT, when you only have 1 guitar, 1 bass, and a drummer....live simply cannot be as good as the studio version where they had some serious mixing & dubbing to get the final sound we all hear on the radio. Billy Gibbons plays lead guitar & some rhythm guitar on the studio tracks. Impossible to do it live with only 2 hands and one guitar. Some may disagree with me but I just find ZZ Top isn't nearly as good live as they are in studio. There are other examples too, but they are always the first that come to mind.

Agreed -
I always knew Clapton was a good guitar player, arguably one of the best.
But until I saw him live at Shea Stadium, I never REALLY knew just how awesome he really is.

Same with these guys...
(Tony Rice, Jerry Douglas, Bela Fleck, Sam Bush and the incredible multi-instrumentalist Mark O'Connor)

I'm a huge bluegrass fan and just about every artist I see live either lives up to or exceeds my expectations. Simply put, you can't fake Bluegrass and it is rarely overproduced and overdubbed.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    TheFoodGator