Almost a Decade Since Realignment - Was it Worth It?

fasonfan

Jesus Saves
Nov 1, 2017
My personal perspective is, aTm fits into the SEC MUCH better than Missouri. Missouri is like the neighbor's kid that always wants to come over and play even though no one really likes him/her. Plus, with them being so far north and west it just doesn't make any sense for them to be in the SECe. Kick them out and pick up one of the following, Clemson (my first choice), Miami, FSU, Virginia Tech, or Georgia Tech. I would even go so far as to say get rid of Missouri and Vandy and pick two of those options. Who cares about the other conferences?
I agree those two are clowns we should have some other ACc school before having Missouri. Missouri isn't south it doesn't fit

Okeechobee Joe

Lost Ball in High Grass
Lifetime Member
Oct 5, 2014
I don't care about the new television markets arguments for conference expansion. You know the arguments. You go into Missouri to capture the St. Louis ad Kansas City television markets. You go into Texas to capture the Houston and Dallas markets etc. If you're the ACC you go into Boston to capture the northeast market.

This is over-expansion and does not strengthen a conference but rather dilutes it. To have a good conference you've got to have some cultural and geographic cohesiveness. In other words the teams you form strong and lasting rivalries with are teams that are more like you culturally and geographically. In other words, UF has a strong rivalry with FSU and not so much with Missouri.

The two teams I would like to see in the SEC instead of A&M or Missouri, or Arkansas are Florida State and Clemson. That way Florida State would be an in conference game for us and would open up a slot for another out of conference opponent. Plus I would like to see FSU get a beat down from some of the SEC teams.

I liked it just fine before the SEC had Missouri, Texas A&M and Arkansas. South Carolina has been a pretty good addition in my estimation. If the SEC had not expanded I would have been fine with it. It's more about money and television markets to me. It's about rivalries.

AlexDaGator

Founding Member
The Hammer of Thor
Lifetime Member
Jun 19, 2014
Founding Member
Trade Missouri to the B1G (which is where they want to be anyway) and take Maryland that has no business in the B1G but wouldn't look bad in the SEC, especially if we raided the ACC for Virginia Tech and NC State. As much as I love that Vandy road trip (and it is fantastic), we could soften the blow by letting the ACC have Vandy which is a good fit.

Remember, it's about your conference footprint for TV revenue. We want a major team in each state, but we don't need all the major teams in each state. Same for other conferences.

Nebraska has no business in the B1G. Not so sure about Iowa either. All those big square-looking states in the middle of nowhere need to play each other, Colorado, Kansas, Nebraska, Utah, the Montanas, Idaho, the Dakotas, etc. make a conference out of that chunk.

Ah, forget it.

Alex.

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014
The two teams that make the most - realistic - sense are Va Tech & NC State. NC State is the step child - UNC, Wake, & Duke are the tobacco row schools and they're sticking together. Va Tech has never really fit in in the ACC. They bring a ton of fans, they open up the DMV/Virginia market. NC State opens NC market and puts the SEC in every true "southern" state.

People can say, "We should add Texas...." or Clemson, or FSU, etc. But the two teams who would pack their sh*t for the greener pastures of the SEC are NC State and VT.

fasonfan

Jesus Saves
Nov 1, 2017
Trade Missouri to the B1G (which is where they want to be anyway) and take Maryland that has no business in the B1G but wouldn't look bad in the SEC, especially if we raided the ACC for Virginia Tech and NC State. As much as I love that Vandy road trip (and it is fantastic), we could soften the blow by letting the ACC have Vandy which is a good fit.

Remember, it's about your conference footprint for TV revenue. We want a major team in each state, but we don't need all the major teams in each state. Same for other conferences.

Nebraska has no business in the B1G. Not so sure about Iowa either. All those big square-looking states in the middle of nowhere need to play each other, Colorado, Kansas, Nebraska, Utah, the Montanas, Idaho, the Dakotas, etc. make a conference out of that chunk.

Ah, forget it.

Alex.
I kinda agree the Iowa's, Nebraska, Iowa st, Wyoming, south Dakota, north Dakota should be a conference. Nebraska is living in the past.

Double Gator Dad

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
My personal perspective is, aTm fits into the SEC MUCH better than Missouri. Missouri is like the neighbor's kid that always wants to come over and play even though no one really likes him/her. Plus, with them being so far north and west it just doesn't make any sense for them to be in the SECe. Kick them out and pick up one of the following, Clemson (my first choice), Miami, FSU, Virginia Tech, or Georgia Tech. I would even go so far as to say get rid of Missouri and Vandy and pick two of those options. Who cares about the other conferences?

Florida, Georgia, and South Carolina have a pact that will prevent Clemson, Ga Tech, FSU, or Miami from admission in the SEC
They each prefer to be exclusive in their state and I agree with them

NOLAGATOR

God uses the unlikely to accomplish the impossible
Lifetime Member
Aug 20, 2018
Florida, Georgia, and South Carolina have a pact that will prevent Clemson, Ga Tech, FSU, or Miami from admission in the SEC
They each prefer to be exclusive in their state and I agree with them

Money Talks...TV

Durty South Swamp

Founding Member
doodley doodley doo!
Lifetime Member
Jun 19, 2014
Founding Member
Both are awful fits. a&m is tolerable simply due to passion and tradition and consistent fans in the stands but the atmosphere is nothing like SEC football. Misery is just miserable and doesn't deserve the big12 or 10, let alone the king of them all. It was a horrible expansion then and remains a horrible decision now.

We should have gone after va tech and another actual southeastern school.

GatorJB

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
I have no issues with A&M in the SEC. Big stadium, good atmosphere, and they've been a part of some pretty entertaining games. They're a good fit for the SEC west. Mizzou, on the other hand, wouldn't be missed by anyone if they joined a different conference. Of course, that would never happen because they love the extra attention and money from being in the SEC. Their tv time would be cut in half in any other conference.

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014
I have been to Mizzou twice for Gator games and I can tell you it is NOT an SEC venue. They should not be in the SEC.

I totally agree. Even A&M has developed as a true SEC program, imo. Mizzou just feels forced and so out of place. Hate it.

But when it seems like they’ve out scored us 300 to 45 since joining, we aren’t really in position to say much.

fischerwood

Wake me when we fix this mess
Sep 5, 2014
You don't suppose it's all about the Benjamins do you?...HMMMMM?...:jog:
Besides why would you leave Auburn in the West since it's less than 80 miles from downtown Atlanta?
Put them in the East, and MO in the West.

-THE DUDE-

Founding Member
This is the year!!!
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Mizzou is really out of place and even worse that they are in the East...makes no sense. A&M is ok and I think Colorado in in the PAC makes sense. The rest is garbage

Bait'n Gator

Go away..... bait'n
Lifetime Member
Mar 14, 2015
Mizzou, Neb, Iowa, Houston and BYU to the Big 12

WV to the ACC

Va Tech to the SEC

Maryland and Army to the ACC

Pitt BC and Notre Dame to the Big 10.

The SEC, ACC, Big 12 and Big 10 all have 14 teams.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.