Andreu: Gator by the numbers (scholarship #'s)

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014
https://andreu.blogs.gatorsports.com/11279/gators-by-the-numbers/?tc=ar

UPDATED: Heading into the spring, the Gators will have 70 scholarship players on the roster. That number will grow to 83 with the addition of 12 true freshmen and junior college transfer Joseph Putu this summer, leaving UF only two of the scholarship limit of 85.

Here’s a position-by-position look at the scholarship players heading into the spring:

Quarterback (four) — Kyle Trask and Feleipe Franks. Arriving this summer — no new additions. (Updated note: transfer Luke Del Rio and graduate transfer Austin Appleby are walk-ons).

Running back (five) — Jordan Cronkrite, Jordan Scarlett, Mark Thompson, Case Harrison and Mark Herndon. Arriving this summer — Lamical Perine.

Tight end (four) — DeAndre Goolsby, C’yontai Lewis, Moral Stephens and Camrin Knight. Arriving this summer — no new additions.

Wide receiver (12) — Treon Harris, Brandon Powell, Ahmad Fulwood, Dre Massey, Josh Hammond, C.J. Worton, Antonio Callaway, Freddie Swain, Chris Thompson, Kalif Jackson, Ryan Sousa and Alvin Bailey. Arriving this summer — Tyrie Cleveland and Rick Wells.

Offensive line (14) — Antonio Riles, Travaris Dorsey, Kavaris Harkless, Cameron Dillard, T.J. McCoy, Tyler Jordan, Nick Buchanan, Brandon Sandifer, Richerd Desir-Jones, Stone Forsythe, Martez Ivey, Fred Johnson, Andrew Mike and David Sharpe. Arriving this summer — Brett Heggie and Jawaan Taylor.

Defensive end (seven) — Jordan Sherit, Jordan Smith, Jabari Zuniga, Bryan Cox Jr., Keivonnis Davis, Cece Jefferson and Justus Reed. Arriving this summer — Antonneous Clayton and Jachai Polite.

Defensive tackle (seven) — Khairi Clark, Thomas Holley, Caleb Brantley, Andrew Ivie, Joey Ivie, Tavan Bryan and Luke Ancrum. Arriving this summer — no new additions.

Linebacker (six) — Jarrad Davis, Alex Anzalone, Daniel McMillian, Matt Rolin, David Reese and Rayshad Jackson. Arriving this summer — Vosean Joseph and Jeremiah Moon.

Defensive back (10) — Quincy Wilson, Jalen Tabor, Duke Dawson, Nick Washington, Marcus Maye, McArthur Bennett, Chauncey Gardner, Marcell Harris, Kylan Johnson and Chris Williamson. Arriving this summer — Quincy Lenton, C.J. McWilliams, Jeawon Taylor and Joseph Putu.

Kicker (two) — Austin Hardin and Eddy Pineiro. Arriving this summer — no new additions.

Punter (one) — Johnny Townsend. Arriving this summer — no new additions.

MJMGator

Founding Member
Slightly amused
Lifetime Member
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
Just change it to lardass.

GatorStud

Founding Member
Score Points, Be Happy
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
Well, if the Coaching can coach, we might have a kick as`s squad for a foundation... may the injury bug stay away from our kicking game though

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
https://andreu.blogs.gatorsports.com/11279/gators-by-the-numbers/?tc=ar

UPDATED: Heading into the spring, the Gators will have 70 scholarship players on the roster. That number will grow to 83 with the addition of 12 true freshmen and junior college transfer Joseph Putu this summer, leaving UF only two of the scholarship limit of 85.
LB is still a nightmare. Looks like a MASH unit. Not enough at DT, not enough at OL. Too many, and mostly non-contributors, at WR.

Well, I see Andrades appears to be gone. There are still others, like Mike, Sousa, maybe Worton and Thompson who are never going to contribute. Herndon, Harrison.

Trailerbammer and South Pole Elf Nick would never have those guys still on scholarship. When we get that right, maybe we will be able to hang with the big boys again.

If we don't encourage the noncontributors to leave/toss the flotsam over, we are looking at a very, very small class next year. Our numbers could be as small as 10 or 11 next year. Just getting you pumpers ready because I know you have predicted next year we will be back on track with a top 3 class. It isn't happening.

Last edited:

rogdochar

Founding Member
RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
Law why don't you apply for the QC recruiting position at UF.

( Stalin had czarnal knowledge of Mrs. Stalin while he screwed the whole country.)

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Rog, I don't know enough to be a position coach in middle school and have no delusions otherwise. Its a lot easier to say the safey got burned than it is to fix his eye discipline, reads, and hip technique. Perhaps I know a lil more than some of the posters on here and enjoy the nuts and bolts. However, we have a few that actually played some in college or coached a bit at various levels. Things change quickly too, even for those guys.

Also, even if I did have the skills, I couldn't take the pay cut and would demand much more for the inherent risk of getting fired every two to three years when the HC does.

A close friend was GA this year and is serving as a Quality Assistant at a upper echelon power 5 program. It's not a nice life.

Last edited:

alcoholica

Founding Member
I'm what Willis was talking about
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
LB is still a nightmare. Looks like a MASH unit. Not enough at DT, not enough at OL. Too many, and mostly non-contributors, at WR.

Well, I see Andrades appears to be gone. There are still others, like Mike, Sousa, maybe Worton and Thompson who are never going to contribute. Herndon, Harrison.

Trailerbammer and South Pole Elf Nick would never have those guys still on scholarship. When we get that right, maybe we will be able to hang with the big boys again.

If we don't encourage the noncontributors to leave/toss the flotsam over, we are looking at a very, very small class next year. Our numbers could be as small as 10 or 11 next year. Just getting you pumpers ready because I know you have predicted next year we will be back on track with a top 3 class. It isn't happening.
Why does Hardin still have a scholly? You're right though, too many non contributors on the roster.

Now that we've been handing out 4yr schollies for a few years, what are some ways to push the non contributors out the door. Not advocating dumping kids. You can contribute in practice and help the team out in other ways than on Saturday. Just like Halter's contribution was more in mentoring than getting blown up by safeties. However, guys like Sousa and Worton are probably not contributing at all. Worton could, but he apparently has issues. Thompson is at least a good gunner, but would be better if he'd stop hitting before the ball gets there

TN G8tr

Founding Member
The "Original" TN G8tr
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
Right on Rog! We know he's there but he is a huge unknown on what to expect.

Gator Fever

Founding Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
Yep like Law said LB could be a nightmare scenario if the usual suspects remain injured all the time.

Oklahoma Gator

Lifetime Member
Nov 18, 2015
I look at that list and it brings to mind a brain exercise per position group: guys who must step up to have a successful season (return to Atlanta 50/50 against rivals)

QB: LDR or Appleby- one of them has to take control and be the unquestioned starter and deliver a 60% + completion rate and 2-1 Td/int rate. This position doesn't need to be a playmaker but it can't be the reason for losses

RB: one of Thompson or the Jordan's - stocked up enough here to be RBC and should be just fine. This spot will go as the Oline goes

TE: Golsby and Lewis- saw flashes of the TE as a weapon finally last year. Will need more of that this year, and these two have the skill to do it

WR: one of Fullwood (longshot) Worton or Baily- I think Cleveland will be a stud across from Callaway and I think Powell will return to form from the first half of the year pre injury, so finding one more reliable option in the passing game will give this team a chance to hum. My hope is that it is Fullwood because of the obvious gifts but I've been hoping that for 3 years now.

OLine: one of Buchanan, Sandifer or Mcoy
We need to start seeing an Oline group that can move some piles and one or two of these guys progressing would be a big deal

Dline: 2 of Clark, Holley, and sherit
Can't keep getting blown off the ball by LSU and FSU. Those two DT's can be special with big off seasons
LB: everyone not named Jarred Davis
DB: find me one more Saftey and they should be loaded back there again
ST: Two words - Odell Kickum

Marianna-FL_Gator

#GangGang
Lifetime Member
Aug 1, 2014

We'll start seeing transfers after next signing day or spring. There's no need to make them transfer now because we can't fill the spots until we sign another class. Plus...every team needs to have "tackling dummies" :lol:

Gatorphan

Founding Member
Clown Sniper
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
This is what I want to see on the field
t1_tebowfark.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.