Any fellow BMW DIYers

jeeping8r

Your car may go fast, Mine will go anywhere
Lifetime Member
Dec 18, 2015
Depends upon the battery, Rural King sells conventional batteries for as low as $49, AGMs (absorbed glass mat) runs about 2 to 3x but are better. Optimas are decent but they've been hit or miss lately.
They want to know the size and capacity mainly for the charging system, Most use a pulsed signal from the ECM to control the alternator, GM switches theirs on&off about 60x/second, Hence the flickering headlights on some.
Chrysler has used a ECM regulated charging system since the K cars (remember them)
Highest charged to replace a battery where I used to work was 1 hour, which was $92.... Most were done free

ThreatMatrix

Lifetime Member
Aug 28, 2014
How much labor for BMW to plop in that battery? $250?

Eff them.
It's not a lot of labor (well, more than your average rice burner). Registration can be done with a phone app. and wireless OBD. But the dealer chargers 2-3x for parts. That's why nobody goes to the dealer unless they have money burning a hole in their pocket - or just doesn't want to deal with it.
ex:
Ignition coil; $107 dealer, $27 FCPEuro
Brake vacuum pump: $500 dealer, $200 FCPEuro
M-Sport Rim: Dealer $950, Online $600

BTW for anybody with a German car. FCPEuro has life time replacement on any parts; rotors, pads, air filters, oil filters, even oil. If you bought it from them and ship it back they replace it for free.

ThreatMatrix

Lifetime Member
Aug 28, 2014
What kind of Jeep? There's many programmers out for the Wranglers. ESS (engine stop start) is gaining along with the transmission exhausting the line pressures at a stop. Anything they can get another 100th of a % gain.
Fortunately I got away from the stealership service department long ago. Have my own little shop now and can pick and choose what I do, And that's mainly Jeep and truck stuff.

You know, 4 wheels, a roll bar. Sorry I don't know jeeps. Sport S? Dude immediately raised it, changed the wheels and sound system.This is the guy that added a $5000 exhaust cutout to his Ferrari.

jeeping8r

Your car may go fast, Mine will go anywhere
Lifetime Member
Dec 18, 2015
He probably has a new JL.... Similar to mine in avatar but has the turn signals in the upper part of front fenders. Those have ESS (engine start stop). I'm sure superchips will have something for that soon, If not already.

Wranglers are known to jeepers by series... CJ (civilian jeep) mid 40s to mid 80s, then YJ, up to 96, TJ 97-06, JK 07-18, JL 18+.

GPW was the original 1941 model, Some MBs in between GPW and CJ IIRC

I would like him as a customer

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    TheFoodGator