Auburn moving Cowart to DT

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014
https://www.saturdaydownsouth.com/a...biggest-regret-former-5-star-dl-byron-cowart/

Auburn DL coach names his biggest regret with former 5-star DL Byron Cowart

The No. 1 overall recruit coming out of high school in 2015, DL Byron Cowart hasn’t lived up to expectations at Auburn through two seasons.

He has only 12 total tackles to his name, despite appearing in 23 career games. However, despite the top billing entering college, Auburn defensive line coach Rodney Garner thinks Cowart simply wasn’t ready for SEC football at such a young age.

According to AL.com, Garner said if he could do it all over again, he’d make sure Cowart took a redshirt during his freshman season:

“I think Byron, if he’ll continue to work, he’ll be a good football player,” said Garner, Auburn’s defensive line coach. “I wish we would have redshirted his freshman year. It would’ve been better for him. God knows it would have been better for him. It would have.”

This spring, Cowart has switched positions and is now working at defensive tackle — a position that may better suit his 6-3, 280-pound frame. Garner said he’s seen a lot of positives from Cowart at his new spot:

“I think it’s been good for him,” Garner said. “I think you’re seeing a different body language, just different vibe, different chemistry, because he’s always been a good kid. He’s not a bad kid. He just came in with so much pressure, I mean, doggone, you talk about pressure, he had no chance to live up to that.”

Technically, Cowart could still redshirt if coaches don’t think he’s ready to compete as an SEC-level defensive tackle in 2017. It would likely hurt the former 5-star recruit’s confidence even more, but it’s not out of the question.

Either way, the Tigers are hoping he can make an impact in the near future. If he doesn’t, he’ll go down as one of the biggest 5-star busts in recent memory.

gatormandan

Are we back yet?
Lifetime Member
Oct 15, 2014
Mac ran him off and he will win the Heisman this year and we will all see it and cry.

Gator Fever

Founding Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
Ever since Muschamp had him crying about being hollered at in camp he has never been the same.

Gatorraid81

Lifetime Member
Dec 4, 2016
Well it good to see other teams have disappointments too, I thought it was just us.

-THE DUDE-

Founding Member
This is the year!!!
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Outside of a select few players everyone would benefit from a redshirt year.

TN G8tr

Founding Member
The "Original" TN G8tr
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
Muschamp should be sued for ruining so many careers.

ThreatMatrix

Lifetime Member
Aug 28, 2014
Well he did get him to go there over Mac so I'd venture to say he won this battle. If you land the hot chick, bang her, find out she sucks in bed and dump her for someone else while your buddy pined to hook up with her and never could your still winning
Chump landed a lot of hot chicks that turned out to be lousy lays. Chump either recruited with beer googles or maybe he's the lousy lay. He sure did screw us though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Birthdays

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    TheFoodGator