Bama dismisses JUCO OL

g8trs99

Lifetime Member
Sep 5, 2014
What do you have to do to get dismissed from Alabama? Other than preforming poorly on the field, I did not think Alabama kick players off the team for brushes with the law. My understanding was with 'Bama is that it was always the officers fault.

Double Gator Dad

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Given the situation with the assistant coach and his violations, this is simply a token move to look good to the NCAA only. If this had happened 2 months ago, nothing would have come from it.

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014
What do you have to do to get dismissed from Alabama? Other than preforming poorly on the field, I did not think Alabama kick players off the team for brushes with the law. My understanding was with 'Bama is that it was always the officers fault.

Looks like this is exactly the case (from SEC Country):

TUSCALOOSA, Ala. — Alabama coach Nick Saban announced Thursday afternoon that junior college transfer Charles Baldwin is no longer with the program.

“Charles Baldwin has been dismissed from the program for a violation of team rules,” Saban said in a statement.

Coming out of ASA College in Brooklyn, N.Y., Baldwin was one of the most highly-touted members of Alabama’s 2016 signing class. He was the top-rated offensive tackle and No. 2 overall player from the junior college ranks in the most recent recruiting cycle, according to 247Sports Composite.

Baldwin enrolled in January, and was expected to compete for the right tackle position. But the 6-foot-5, 315-pounder hadn’t progressed to the point of working with the first-team offensive line group, and was behind both rising sophomore Lester Cotton and fellow early enrollee Jonah Williams.

“A very good athlete. He’s got a lot of ability. He’s got a lot to learn,” Saban said of Baldwin on March 28. “We’re going to continue to work with him, to get him to do things right, to get him to buy into doing things the way we need him to do them so he can have success here. I think it might take some time, but we’ve got a lot of patience and got a lot of people around here that are willing to see what we can make work with him.”

Concrete Helmet

Hook, Line, and Sinker
Lifetime Member
Jul 29, 2014
Saban isn't real patient and being a JuCo the guy only has 2 years to perform. Still I think when it comes to OL and DT it takes JuCo's a little time to adjust to a higher level of competition, maybe a full year. My question is this, If this guy really hasn't done anything illegal or disruptive to the team, is there anyway we could or should try to get him? I figure even a Bama's 3rd string lineman has got to be better than Dillard or Riles, right?

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014
Saban isn't real patient and being a JuCo the guy only has 2 years to perform. Still I think when it comes to OL and DT it takes JuCo's a little time to adjust to a higher level of competition, maybe a full year. My question is this, If this guy really hasn't done anything illegal or disruptive to the team, is there anyway we could or should try to get him? I figure even a Bama's 3rd string lineman has got to be better than Dillard or Riles, right?

The SEC passed a rule that schools cannot take transfers if the kid was dismissed for a disciplinary reason.

T REX

Founding Member
Jun 24, 2014
Founding Member
The SEC passed a rule that schools cannot take transfers if the kid was dismissed for a disciplinary reason.
You beat me to it. Nice.

Concrete Helmet

Hook, Line, and Sinker
Lifetime Member
Jul 29, 2014
:( I was really hoping to take a crappy Tackle and make a decent Guard....then get rid of a couple of our crappy Guards....

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014
:( I was really hoping to take a crappy Tackle and make a decent Guard....then get rid of a couple of our crappy Guards....

Well, we still don't know why he was dismissed. It could have been academics or something. Highly unlikely, but could be something unusual besides a disciplinary issue.

rogdochar

Founding Member
RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
Well, we still don't know why he was dismissed. It could have been academics or something. Highly unlikely, but could be something unusual besides a disciplinary issue.

... in a team meeting he told a short-joke.

MotownGator

Legacy member
BANNED
Jul 19, 2014
... in a team meeting he told a short-joke.
sabandwarf-gif_001154.gif

Frozen Gator

Lifetime Member
Apr 26, 2016
Alabama has a nice stockpile of very good players, they can afford to be "moral" with one especially with the coach dismissals.

oxking

Founding Member
Pops
Lifetime Member
Jun 23, 2014
Founding Member
Let's face it. The guy is probably a dog--not that we don't have a few pooches too :-).

Concrete Helmet

Hook, Line, and Sinker
Lifetime Member
Jul 29, 2014
Let's face it. The guy is probably a dog--not that we don't have a few pooches too :).
Probably so if Saban is willing to dispose of him so quickly. I also wasn't aware of the conference rule which wouldn't allow it.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
If he's transferring, he has to sit out a year.

I think disciplinary reasons means related to a crime or misconduct, not things like disliking it when an angry South Pole elf yells at you about sucking more than an early enrollee true freshman.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.