Barnes out at Texas

MidwestChomp

Fun was the goal and we hit the bullseye
Lifetime Member
Sep 15, 2014
Texas canned Barnes. Greg Marshall and Smart are on their short list just like everyone's short list. Texas has deep pockets they may get who they want. I would not be shocked if Barnes lands in Knoxville.

maheo30

WiLLLLLLLie! WiLLLLLLLie!
Lifetime Member
Jul 24, 2014
They are the richest athletic department in the NCAA. If it is about money they should get their guy.

t-gator

Founding Member
too sexy for my shirt
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
I bet Greg Marshall will get a look for the Texas job. There's alot of good basketball players from Texas every year. That's a damn good job. This is gonna hurt bamas chances with Marshall

Dec 10, 2014
MidwestChomp;n199785 said:
Texas canned Barnes. Greg Marshall and Smart are on their short list just like everyone's short list. Texas has deep pockets they may get who they want. I would not be shocked if Barnes lands in Knoxville.

Bump for Midwest calling it

t-gator

Founding Member
too sexy for my shirt
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
The conference is getting better. Barnes is good coach and he'll bring in some ball players to Tennessee. I'm hearing shaka is in talks with Texas. So I wonder if bama will go after Greg Marshall or somebody decent. If this conference improves I think it could help us in recruiting

GatorBart

Founding Member
:bandit:
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
From burnt orange to creamsicle orange - not a huge change in wardrobe for Barnes. Good hire for the hill folk.

Dec 10, 2014
GatorBart;n200910 said:
From burnt orange to creamsicle orange - not a huge change in wardrobe for Barnes. Good hire for the hill folk.

Disagree. I think it's only a good hire in that it wasn't a repeat of some the atrocious hires Tennessee has made in the past. If it's a good hire for not being terrible, then yes. Otherwise this is a 60 year old guy who's going to have his recruiting channels in texas shut down on him. I realize college athletics have changed and having a coach reach 10 years is becoming more and more rare. But this dude is aged for a coach who has very little on his resume besides consistency.

GatorBart

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
PatDooleySucks;n200941 said:
Disagree. I think it's only a good hire in that it wasn't a repeat of some the atrocious hires Tennessee has made in the past. If it's a good hire for not being terrible, then yes. Otherwise this is a 60 year old guy who's going to have his recruiting channels in texas shut down on him. I realize college athletics have changed and having a coach reach 10 years is becoming more and more rare. But this dude is aged for a coach who has very little on his resume besides consistency.

Considering their circumstances, I think they came out of it pretty well. It's anybody's guess if Barnes can get the program back on track - I hope he fails miserably.

Jabberdave

Founding Member
Your mom is very pretty.
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
PatDooleySucks;n200941 said:

Tend to agree. He hasn't had any success over the last few years and Texas has been down in the conference standings. He had some success early on, but nothing that just makes you consider him a highly ranked coach. Considering how much money Texas has, I doubt the resources the Vols have will improve his chances to land big time recruits.

Dec 10, 2014
Jabberdave;n200957 said:
Tend to agree. He hasn't had any success over the last few years and Texas has been down in the conference standings. He had some success early on, but nothing that just makes you consider him a highly ranked coach. Considering how much money Texas has, I doubt the resources the Vols have will improve his chances to land big time recruits.

With anything in life, you don't invest in something in the beginning of a downswing. This guy has no (at least recent) SEC experience. I believe his only major impact in the tournament was due to Durant. To me it's almost a desperation hire. AD doesn't have the cojones to trust his evaluation and recognition of a young up and comer, or he doesn't think Tennessee has the appeal to draw one and outduel the other teams making hires. The AD made this hire because he figures their idiot fans won't vilify him three to five years from now when this guy is gone. It's a cover your ass hire where he didn't have to put in a lot of work.

MidwestChomp

Fun was the goal and we hit the bullseye
Lifetime Member
Sep 15, 2014
I'm not shocked Vols went for a "proven" head coach at a large program. But I also thought maybe they would go young like the coach at Northern Iowa, or at least try for Miller at Dayton. Also they may have put out feelers and were turned down and were smart and didn't release that info. Regardless, Barnes will be there until retirement if he ain't fired first.

Dec 10, 2014
MidwestChomp;n200978 said:
I'm not shocked Vols went for a "proven" head coach at a large program. But I also thought maybe they would go young like the coach at Northern Iowa, or at least try for Miller at Dayton. Also they may have put out feelers and were turned down and were smart and didn't release that info. Regardless, Barnes will be there until retirement if he ain't fired first.

I suspect firing. You can cruise a lot easier in Texas than Tennessee. This guy's 60. He's not going to have the energy and wherewithal to break out in a new conference. He has to rebuild a program that has been smashed to pieces in one of the least talented states in the SEC. His recruiting connections from Texas will die very quickly.

GatorBart

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
PatDooleySucks;n200974 said:
With anything in life, you don't invest in something in the beginning of a downswing. This guy has no (at least recent) SEC experience. I believe his only major impact in the tournament was due to Durant. To me it's almost a desperation hire. AD doesn't have the cojones to trust his evaluation and recognition of a young up and comer, or he doesn't think Tennessee has the appeal to draw one and outduel the other teams making hires. The AD made this hire because he figures their idiot fans won't vilify him three to five years from now when this guy is gone. It's a cover your ass hire where he didn't have to put in a lot of work.

Barnes led TX to the final four in 2003, long before KD (losing to Carmelo and eventual champ, Syracuse) - That TX team was full of little known players on the roster (at least to me).
Believe it or not, TX only got to the round of 32 the one year KD was on the team. They made the Elite 8 the previous year and the year after KD. Interesting.
They've only gotten to the Sweet 16 twice since their Elite 8 run in 2008.

Jabberdave

Founding Member
Your mom is very pretty.
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
Tennessee has thrown a lot of money at him. This just doesn't make a lot of sense to me.

t-gator

Founding Member
too sexy for my shirt
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
The guy had Texas in the tournament every year but one and has put a ton of players in the nba. It's the absolute best they could have done. Please tell me a more proven coach they could have gotten?

WobbleGator

Founding Member
Chatterbox Mod
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
t-gator;n201029 said:
The guy had Texas in the tournament every year but one and has put a ton of players in the nba. It's the absolute best they could have done. Please tell me a more proven coach they could have gotten?

Jon Gruden.

Dec 10, 2014
t-gator;n201029 said:

Ham Sammich

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
t-gator;n201029 said:

Wobble

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    TheFoodGator