Basketball Observations

GatorBenji

Sep 6, 2014
I know its early in the season and most are still only caring about football but I wanted to say I like what I've seen from this team so far, Purdue was clearly the better team but we hang with them for most of the game.

My thoughts tho:
Kasey Hill should not be starting. He's a 5 star bust and we need to accept that, he handles the offense awfully and drives in recklessly, start chiozza please.

Kevaughn Allen looks like he'll be our best player soon enough. He really knows how to score.

Gators best lineup would be:
Chiozza/Allen/Robinson/DFS/Egunbu but I can understand starting Devon Walker over Robinson for defensive reasons.

Alex Murphy injury hurts our depth because some players are getting PT that otherwise wouldn't.

I like how Coach white lets these guys have more freedom on offense and speed up the pace, hated that about Billy D.

What about you guys who have watched, what have u seen and liked/disliked so far?

GatorJ

Founding Member
Hopeful
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
They need to get into a gym and shoot from sunup to sundown except when they are attending classes or going to practice. Practice, practice, practice. To miss free throws like this and to miss so many close layups is an issue.

rogdochar

Founding Member
RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
Would like to see Egbunu trained and used as a true scoring center with
the players setting things up for him and DFS/Robinson/Murphy to work inside.
Need higher % shooting to keep pace with an unduly hot shooting team and to
pull ahead of slow-go teams. Good supply of raw talent to develop over the year.

Double Gator Dad

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
I see lots of talent that lacks discipline on both ends of the court.
Helter skelter style is effective if you have some clue as to what you are doing, presently, it is just helter skelter.
I cannot remember the last time I saw an opponent get a gazillion open three attempts like Purdue did yesterday, and I mean open threes.
Agree with the comments about Hill but I think Allen needs to be reeled in a bit as well. He only shoots when he has the ball regardless of the situation. Guard position is our biggest issue right now.
I would list my recommended starters but can't justify putting any guard other than Chiozza on the court right now. We have three very solid frontcourt players in DFS, Egbunu, and Devon Robinson, if only we had a backcourt.

I like this team and think they have potential but right now this is not a very good team at all.

MidwestChomp

Fun was the goal and we hit the bullseye
Lifetime Member
Sep 15, 2014
I can see improvements from last year, but as Rog stated their shooting % is not where it should be. I actually like Robinson off the bench. I was wondering if Allen could play any PG? It's very early, but I suspect they will improve.

Oklahoma Gator

Lifetime Member
Nov 18, 2015
I'm sorry all I see is 10-1 and FSU week.. I'll check back in the middle of January

itsgr82bag8r

Founding Member
Tell your mom I said hi
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
I've observed that it's weird not seeing Coach Donovan stalking the bench....

TheBigClaw

Founding Member
Proud to be a Gator
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
From what I've watched, Kasey hill needs to be the backup as stated In the OP's post. He's reckless with the ball and doesn't run the offense well. Chiozza is more in control. Also, Egbunu is pretty darn good. He's a pretty consistent scorer inside and rebounder. Add in a great young guy in Kevaughn Allen and we look like a team that should get better as the year goes along.

Sent from my IPad using tapatalk.

dphgator96

Lifetime Member
Aug 4, 2014
Kasey Hill should not be starting. He's a 5 star bust and we need to accept that, he handles the offense awfully and drives in recklessly, start chiozza please.

Agree 100%.....Chiozza has improved his shooting and decision making = should be startinng

NoGaGator

Lifetime Member
Aug 11, 2014
It appears that on offense, White is just letting them go at it and is in evaluation mode with a new team this young in the season. I'd think that, come semester break, he starts to install an offensive play set geared better to their strengths. I also think he'll start to shorten the bench by a few guys. It's hard to develop synergy with a new system playing 12 guys.

TLB

Just chillin'
Lifetime Member
Jan 6, 2015
I've observed....darn little. Few games available on Directv, though I'm exploring ESPN3 when I can. But ultimately, I've not watched but maybe one game thus far - no broadcast, and no time to watch a replay really. I'm hoping after football dies down (and I don't mean on-the-field dying as we've seen of late), I'll be able to 'observe' more about this new basketball team and coach.

NVGator

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Hodskins needs to be above Hill on the depth chart.

cover2

Founding Member
I've grown old
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Shot selection will have to improve. Like that we are long and athletic, if a little erratic right now. DFS is as close as we've got, but looks like we need a couple of guys to assume leadership roles. A lot of things yet to come together in this transition. Looks like White has them playing hard; smart and together is in the works. Best is ahead for this group as they grow and learn. Agree that right now Hill looks like the odd man out.

GatorBart

Founding Member
:bandit:
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
We are very young and I like what the future looks like for Gator BB.
Speakng of the youth, I'm impressed with Hayes for a true Freshman that supposedly only weighs 212. I also like Allen and BFR (he'll come around). It's early in the year, we'll get a couple of relatively easy games until we hit the meat of the non-conference schedule (Richmond, followed by a couple of tough games at #15 Miami and at #3 Sparty). We'll know a lot more about this team before Xmas, and I suspect we'll head into conference play with 4+ losses. We're gonna take our lumps, but hopefully this young team can learn a few leassons and make something happen in the SEC.

t-gator

Founding Member
too sexy for my shirt
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
We're gonna be a scary team later in the year. New coach and new players still finding chemistry. Even though we lost to a good team the other day i think we'll be ok.

Gatorphan

Founding Member
Clown Sniper
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Like MidwestChomp, I was wondering if Allen could play point. Big E is going to be pretty good. He's light years ahead of Patric Young as a Sophmore. His presence makes DFS so much more effective. Need Murphy back.

MertzJay26

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 18, 2014
Founding Member
2 players im not crazy about-Hill and Walker. Other than those two I think we are very talented. We should have a very solid season, but like others have said we have a tough schedule coming up.

I could see this being a Sweet 16 team overall

Ancient Reptile

Mar 4, 2015
I was a little disturbed to see that Vermont could drive on us and we could not on them. We are already playing well in transition but don't seem to know what to do in half court.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Birthdays

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    TheFoodGator