Beach Road Chicken Dinners -Jacksonville

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by crosscreekcooter, Jul 2, 2019.

1. crosscreekcooter

crosscreekcooter Cunning Linguist
    Lifetime Member

Oxbucks:
    $2,103
    Ratings:
    +7,989 / -21
    • AuggieDosta

AuggieDosta I Don't Re Member

Oxbucks:
      $1,127
      Ratings:
      +1,126 / -118
      Ate there 10 years ago and was freaked out by the amount of grease on the walls and ceiling.

Food was good.

• crosscreekcooter

Lifetime Member

Oxbucks:
        $2,103
        Ratings:
        +7,989 / -21
        Your elbows would occasionally get stuck on the tables.

• cover2

cover2 I've grown old
          Lifetime Member

Oxbucks:
          $2,217
          Ratings:
          +5,213 / -5
          I imagine the place will be more profitable with the seafood menu, but I kinda hate to see places like this disappear. Used to be, every town had a place to get good fried chicken. We didn't travel much when I was young, but if we were going down the state (to far to live for long out of the old ice chest), we'd always find a place like this to stop, rest, and "fill up!"

Had an old buddy, Craig J, that worked at the Double Cola bottling plant in Quincy and about twice a year he'd drive the owner to Tampa for some sort of corporate meeting and they'd always drive down by the coast. I couldn't tell you the name of the place, but there was a little mom and pop joint they'd stop at above Tampa that he claimed had the best hamburgers in the state. To draw interest, the owners had a cage outside with an orangutan in it (where they got it is anybody's guess). After they finished eating, they stopped to look at the orangutan. Mr. Phil, the owner, remarked to Craig that the orangutan was the "ugliest SOB he'd ever seen" and they both had a big laugh. Evidently the orangutan was offended and he promptly sh!t in his hand at threw it at them, hitting Mr. Phil in the head! Craig said it took him about 10 minutes to restrain Mr. Phil and keep him from going in the cage to fight the orangutan! There was just something special about all the old time greasy spoons that Chick Filet, et al can't replicate.

• NVGator

NVGator Member
            Lifetime Member

Oxbucks:
            $4,350
            Ratings:
            +8,016 / -332
            • Gulfstream

Gulfstream zzzzzzzzzzz
              Lifetime Member

Oxbucks:
              $1,095
              Ratings:
              +1,224 / -14
              There is nothing, and I mean nothing better than a piece of real good fried chicken. My sisters ex husband had his own recipe and would fry up thighs and legs on game day. Man what a treat. I miss that guy.

#6 Gulfstream, Jul 4, 2019
              Last edited: Jul 4, 2019
              • crosscreekcooter

Lifetime Member

Oxbucks:
                $2,103
                Ratings:
                +7,989 / -21
                I'm with you and nothing worse than to bite into a piece that's undercooked.

:lol: I actually think that was @Zambo. I understand he was quite the attraction, working there slicing onions and drew time and a half for wrasslin with the customers.

• cover2

cover2 I've grown old
                  Lifetime Member

Oxbucks:
                  $2,217
                  Ratings:
                  +5,213 / -5
                  Most likely! I bet he even smoked a cigarette if the crowd was big enough. I never saw the orangutan, but there was a little place just below the Lake Talquin dam on the Ochlockonee called Ed and Bernice's that kept a black bear in a cage outside the restaurant. After you ate your catfish, cheese grits, and hush puppies, the grown-ups would take you outside to see the bear. If you were lucky, they'd buy a Coca Cola and put it in the cage and the bear would drink it like folks (to paraphrase Jerry Clower), though he never put it down until he emptied it. He also had a tire hanging from a rope in the cage to play with and if you weren't paying attention, he'd swat into the side of the cage. It sounded like he was busting loose to come eat your @ss up. Scared the sh!t out of me one time. I never bought him a Coke after that.

• MJMGator

MJMGator Slightly amused
                    Lifetime Member

Oxbucks:
                    $8,132
                    Ratings:
                    +19,664 / -286
                    The Community Grocery off of US1 in Jax used to do a mean PBJ or tomato sandwich back in the day. Place was covered up with construction workers at lunchtime.

• BMF

BMF Bad Mother....
                    Lifetime Member

Oxbucks:
                    $10,481
                    Ratings:
                    +16,067 / -217
                    Somebody re-opened "The Homestead" in Jax Beach a year or so ago and it failed/went out of business. I went when I was in town once and it was great. I love fried chicken!

On that note, Cracker Barrel is doing real on-the-bone fried chicken now and it's outstanding! You can't drink a beer while eating it, but it's still very good and you have 87 side choices to go with it!