Best Baseball Movie

alcoholica

Founding Member
I'm what Willis was talking about
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Watching the Natural, which is one of my favorite sports movies, and I started thinking about how many great baseball movies there are.

Discuss.

Gatordiddy

Member in good standing
Lifetime Member
Jul 23, 2014
Semi-funny story...

I was on a second date at a girl's apartment (dinner and a movie) and she said - "Let's watch Field of Dreams".
Ok...sure.

One of the best baseball movies ever IMO.
And at the end:
source.gif

Oh lordy... I lost it ...right on her couch.
I'm talking waterworks...

Needless to say - no third date, but damn, that is a great baseball movie.

Gatordiddy

Member in good standing
Lifetime Member
Jul 23, 2014

Gary Cooper in Pride of the Yankees

Lou Gehrig
"For the past two weeks you have been reading about a bad break. Yet today I consider myself the luckiest man on the face of the earth. I have been in ballparks for seventeen years and have never received anything but kindness and encouragement from you fans.

“When you look around, wouldn’t you consider it a privilege to associate yourself with such a fine looking men as they’re standing in uniform in this ballpark today? Sure, I'm lucky. Who wouldn't consider it an honor to have known Jacob Ruppert? Also, the builder of baseball's greatest empire, Ed Barrow? To have spent six years with that wonderful little fellow, Miller Huggins? Then to have spent the next nine years with that outstanding leader, that smart student of psychology, the best manager in baseball today, Joe McCarthy? Sure, I'm lucky.

"When the New York Giants, a team you would give your right arm to beat, and vice versa, sends you a gift - that's something. When everybody down to the groundskeepers and those boys in white coats remember you with trophies - that's something. When you have a wonderful mother-in-law who takes sides with you in squabbles with her own daughter - that's something. When you have a father and a mother who work all their lives so you can have an education and build your body - it's a blessing. When you have a wife who has been a tower of strength and shown more courage than you dreamed existed - that's the finest I know.

"So I close in saying that I might have been given a bad break, but I’ve got an awful lot to live for. Thank you."

crosscreekcooter

Founding Member
Cunning Linguist; RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member

"The Pride of St. Louis" the Dizzy Dean story.

I remember watching Dizzy Dean and Pee Wee Reese broadcasting the game of the week as a kid. Dizzy had the countryboy humor and Pee Wee was kinda the straight man. Dizzy was one hell of a pitcher in his day and is the only NL pitcher to win 30 in one season. He had a brother named Daffy who was also a badass pitcher. Pee Wee was an all star shortstop. I only got to see both play in a couple old timers games. Dizzy and Pee Wee were both inducted into the Hall of Fame.

Okeechobee Joe

Lost Ball in High Grass
Lifetime Member
Oct 5, 2014
I remember watching Dizzy Dean and Pee Wee Reese broadcasting the game of the week as a kid. Dizzy had the countryboy humor and Pee Wee was kinda the straight man. Dizzy was one hell of a pitcher in his day and is the only NL pitcher to win 30 in one season. He had a brother named Daffy who was also a badass pitcher. Pee Wee was an all star shortstop. I only got to see both play in a couple old timers games. Dizzy and Pee Wee were both inducted into the Hall of Fame.

I too watched the "Game of the Week" as a kid. Not much footage of those broadcasts remain. A highlight was Ol' Diz singing his rendition of the "Wabash Cannonball" during a lull in the action such as a rain delay. One of the sponsors was Falstaff Beer. Dizzy and Pee Wee are a part of America and baseball lore.

crosscreekcooter

Founding Member
Cunning Linguist; RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
@Okeechobee Joe -Lotsa talent in that Giants dugout. Havent heard Juan Marichal's name in like forever. Thanks for posting that.

Gator515151

2018 Pick 'Em Champ
Aug 16, 2018
Not my grandfather but my grandmother's 2nd husband claimed to have played for the Cardinals with Dizzy Dean. He had lots of stories, but I never found his name on a Cardinals roster so I have no idea if it was all BS.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.