Best ever interview session regarding SOS, HBC, whatever...

FatCatG8r

Aug 10, 2014
James Bates telling stories about Orr. Watch the whole thing. He does everything Spurrier with his best HBC imitation and he's really got it down. You can feel the love he has for his former coach.

Enjoy, comment. discuss.

CGgater

Gainesville Native
Lifetime Member
Jul 30, 2014
Outstanding!!!

I think my favorite story was about the bye week at the beach before heading to ut. "Bobby, how many of them ut coaches you suppose are floatin' in the ocean right now?"

Classic Spurrier.

RocketCityGator

In All Kinds of Weather
Lifetime Member
Aug 31, 2014
seen it before, love watching it. Bates should write a book or do full up documentary on Spurrier. Love the part about feeling sorry for those who won a champions but didn't do with Spurrier.

TN G8tr

Founding Member
The "Original" TN G8tr
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
Loved every minute of that. Batesy is always a Gator Great too. Bet he was/is fun to hang around.

FatCatG8r

Aug 10, 2014
I love the jersey # story. Classic Spurrier. He didn't grovel at the feet of recruits. Was always up front. He unretired his #11 and doled it out to deserving players. I know Fee Bartley wore it and I think Thad Bullard as well.

AlexDaGator

Founding Member
The Hammer of Thor
Lifetime Member
Jun 19, 2014
Founding Member
I love the jersey # story. Classic Spurrier. He didn't grovel at the feet of recruits. Was always up front. He unretired his #11 and doled it out to deserving players. I know Fee Bartley wore it and I think Thad Bullard as well.

Always tried to give it to a special defensive player. We always looked forward to seeing who would get 11 next.

Ben Hanks is the first to come to my mind.

Alex.

itsgr82bag8r

Founding Member
Tell your mom I said hi
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
".... You guys are using the "f word" too much........... An occasional hell, damn or sh!t is alright...."

:lol:

gatordad3

You're stewed, buttwad!
Lifetime Member
Jan 31, 2016
Always tried to give it to a special defensive player. We always looked forward to seeing who would get 11 next.

Ben Hanks is the first to come to my mind.

Alex.
IIRC, Ben Hanks was actually the first to wear the unretired jersey. Just can't remember any quarterbacks wearing it.

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
IIRC, Ben Hanks was actually the first to wear the unretired jersey. Just can't remember any quarterbacks wearing it.

Spurrier's rule was it when to a defensive player... he didn't understand how players like Kerwin Bell and Emmitt Smith/Willie Jackson Sr. didnt' have their jersey's retired. So he unretired his.

AlexDaGator

Founding Member
The Hammer of Thor
Lifetime Member
Jun 19, 2014
Founding Member

The only retired numbers were Spurrier's and Scot Brantley's. After becoming the HBC, SOS called Brantley and they agreed to unretire them, but as Doug pointed out, Spurrier reserved his number 11 for a special defensive player but I can't think of anyone who wore it during the SOS era other than Hanks (does anybody have an all-time roster by jersey number?), I think the number was unused for a couple of years. That system lasted through Spurrier's tenure. I remember being surprised the first time I saw 11 on an offensive player. Pretty sure it was OJ Small during the Zook era. Jarred Fayson wore it for the short time he was here too without much success. Riley Cooper wore it after that.

Alex.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
I'd really prefer that we keep that tradition. I don't want to see QBs wearing 15, 7, or 11, and especially don't want to see terrible ones wearing it. We should do the same for Emmitt, Wilbur and several more.

t-gator

Founding Member
too sexy for my shirt
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
I'd really prefer that we keep that tradition. I don't want to see QBs wearing 15, 7, or 11, and especially don't want to see terrible ones wearing it. We should do the same for Emmitt, Wilbur and several more.
I think #3 should also be hung up. We don't need any reminders.

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Here is a question, who would the #22 be retired for, it should be retired (imo) due to the number of gator greats that have worn it. But some really special players who might not be the best at their position in our history, but made huge impacts in their time.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Birthdays

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    TheFoodGator