Billy Napier's Wide Receivers

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
REALLY? He was dealing with 2-3* Receivers. His QB was OK at best. And if the WR had mega yards y'all would say "What about the running game"

Let's at least let him make it to the O&B Game.

but he was playing against 2-3* defensive backs... I agree we have to wait to see the product on the field for a lot of aspect when he is in the orange and blue... but the defense that they were 2-3 star guys doesn't make sense, because he was playing against similarly talented team. It's not like he was a 2-3 star team going against 4-5 star teams on regular.

NOLAGATOR

God uses the unlikely to accomplish the impossible
Lifetime Member
Aug 20, 2018
but he was playing against 2-3* defensive backs... I agree we have to wait to see the product on the field for a lot of aspect when he is in the orange and blue... but the defense that they were 2-3 star guys doesn't make sense, because he was playing against similarly talented team. It's not like he was a 2-3 star team going against 4-5 star teams on regular.

Understood...but watch P5 and compare.

It's like Tripple A Ball...It's good but pitching isn't there.

ULL is good football but it ain't Bama...sure the DB play is also better in P-5...but we all know modern football favors the O.and some of these catches are almost unbelievable.

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Understood...but watch P5 and compare.

It's like Tripple A Ball...It's good but pitching isn't there.

ULL is good football but it ain't Bama...sure the DB play is also better in P-5...but we all know modern football favors the O.and some of these catches are almost unbelievable.

I have, hell I've been do a couple of D3 National Championship games. There is a difference in talent, but when playing similar talent you should get similar results. With better athletes it's a better product, but the overall philosophy is going to be the same.

lagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 9, 2014
I don't think it is all bad. Napier definitely throws the ball, but he's not getting WRs drafted like he has OL and RBs. Being able to point to a WR who had a really successful career in your program helps in recruiting. Does it not? Who would you point to that Napier's coached as a WR and say, "See look at what Napier's offense can do for you to help you make it to the pros?" At this point there is really nothing you can point a recruit to. There is no WR on UL's roster that has put together a 2 or 3 year portfolio that leads to that player getting drafted even at UF.

I don't think those stats are immutable moving forward, but the best way to predict the future is to look at the past. I could totally understand why Copeland, CJ Smith, Gibson, and Bond went elsewhere. They have to assume their stat line will look similar to Napier's other WRs in this offense until proven otherwise. If Henderson puts a 1,000 yard season in the books next year, and another receiver has at least 600-700 yards, then I can see Napier flipping the script going into the 2023 recruiting class.
When he sells the NFL to recruits he's not going to be selling ULL FFS, he will be selling UF. We have had 3 disasters at HC in a row and the NFL still has a good representation of Gator pass catchers, you know like Pitts, Toney, Cleveland, Hammond, Robinson, Jefferson, Swain, etc.

gardnerwebbgator

Founding Member
Aight Then
Lifetime Member
Jun 19, 2014
Founding Member
OffbeatPowerlessCockroach-size_restricted.gif

Joegator96

Lifetime Member
Nov 5, 2019
When he sells the NFL to recruits he's not going to be selling ULL FFS, he will be selling UF. We have had 3 disasters at HC in a row and the NFL still has a good representation of Gator pass catchers, you know like Pitts, Toney, Cleveland, Hammond, Robinson, Jefferson, Swain, etc.
Yep and then it's up to him and the WR coach and recruiting support staff to convince these 4 and 5* teens they will thrive in the BN offense at UF and earn a chance to go to the League. We shall see how it plays out in his first full cycle class.

Silverback Gator

Lifetime Member
Aug 1, 2018
Yep and then it's up to him and the WR coach and recruiting support staff to convince these 4 and 5* teens they will thrive in the BN offense at UF and earn a chance to go to the League. We shall see how it plays out in his first full cycle class.
Well, yes, we wish that would happen cycle one. But those same kids are going to have Alabama, Georgia, Ohio State and a lot of others in their ear. Maybe the staff can close a big time WR but they may have to create some star pass catchers before the better players are going to believe UF is as good at those other schools. Right now none of the better Florida receivers knew our old staff and the better recruiting schools have been in touch for two years at least.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    TheFoodGator