Bits & Pieces: Florida vs. Tennssee

cover2

Founding Member
I've grown old
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Subtitle was going to be "A Tale of Two Halves," even mentioned this to c2 Jr. as we were painfully watching the second half conclude. Then heard Mick mention the same line during the post game. So I'll just mention it and not add to the title. Cliche, but certainly appropriately descriptive. Streak over UT ends and many more questions than answers now. What just happened? Is there enough good from this game to build or reconstruct the remainder on? Who's responsible? Maybe a little too dramatic. Maybe not. Let's explore some of the variables, data, and opinions:
  • Nuss is going to catch hell. Haven't read any threads, but scanned the titles. I think it is deserved, though I was not displeased with what we did offensively in the first half. Might could have been better, but it was efficient and planned to accomplish a couple of things IMO: 1) establish the run, which we were doing, maybe not on the way to the 300 (or in that direction) that I thought we'd ultimately need and 2) see what AA could do in the air (he wasn't shabby) and, through an established run game, give him a management opportunity. I have to say that the OL was pretty decent in that half. Part of it was due to the run calls which were mostly between the tackles, allowing base blocking, and the other part was due to UT's D game plan, which was "we think we can handle your run with 6 or less. The second half, to state the obvious, Nuss wasn't good. Looked as if we were playing as if 21 was enough, even when UT started hitting us in the mouth and our OL responded by nutting up. 8 or 9 total yards in the 3rd along with 3 3-and-outs and a 1-play series with an INT rang the death knell. Clearly we aren't good enough to salt a game against a conference opponent away in that fashion. Nuss, and Mac, too, should know this.
  • I don't believe that we will be as highly regarded on D by upcoming opponents. The secondary, after making plays that helped keep UT out of the end zone and stymied some promising drives in the first half, quickly went from sugar to sh!t in the second stanza. Anzalone was pretty dang good, along with Bryan Cox, and really, the whole unit was ok in the first half, even though UT helped the unit's efficiency with several miscues (drops, turnovers, etc.). It wasn't "The Emporer's New Clothes," but I think some of their big plays might have masked what UT was capable of and eventually brought to fruition later in the game. We seemed to go into the locker room thinking we were going to win and relied on UT to quit. They obviously were more committed to not being embarrassed and taking it to us than we were to finishing business.
  • This might be the point that child advocates, ACLU members, and participation trophy enthusiasts might need to leave. I'm letting you know who really disappointed me with their performances. Gotta start with the coaches, Nuss and Mac to be sure, but the DC and the DB coach, too. Hell, the entire staff has a part. No way we go to the devil in the second and we can't adjust our plays, calls, or players. It was like watching a train wreck in slow motion. Not calling for firings, but I am calling for no more of this BS. Could've sworn I was watching a poor Class A high school team for the last half. Too reminiscent of the last four from last season in many ways. Mac said in the post game that he "really likes these players." Maybe it's time for him to love them in a much tougher way? As for the players, who have to play and execute their assignments, there's plenty responsibility that falls on them. Duke Dawson, who I really like, looked awful. Several blown coverage assignments. Looked lost. Tabor didn't look like an AA. Hell, he didn't even look like All Alachua County. His second half play, save the pick, made me forget a lot of what he did good in the first. Cyontai Lewis looks like Tarzan, but plays like Jane. Drops and poor blocking effort won't cut it. The OL. Second half erased the efforts of the first. All were bad second half. Fred Johnson cannot g-block, hinge, or anything that requires a drop step and change of direction. Sharpe looked poor in his passpro in the second. UT finally decided to open up the D package and we couldn't handle it. None could run block at that point. Callaway as a returner...what the hell is he thinking with the fair catches at the goal line? It'll be hard to remember his receiving totals in this game as a result. There are others, obviously, but I'll stop here and say that I'm probably most disappointed with the lack of heart displayed in the latter stages. Even saw some quit, which is the greatest sin a player can commit (coaches too).
  • Too much arm tackling and misses. Dobbs made us look silly with his legs and we made him look great as a passer. Hurd rushed for nearly a hundred. I was embarrassed, but one play kind of summed it all up...Joey Ivie had a chance for a TFL, but instead of a good form tackle, he simply stood upright and reached out to try and grab the ball carrier and I don't think he even snagged a jersey with his fingernails. Inexcusable. I'd have a hard time relying on him unless he changes drastically.
  • I felt bad for Powell and his ejection. The official making that call should be suspended. That call should be appealed, but after Martez Ivey's was overturned, I'm not confident there'll be two in a row. The kid always gives it his best effort and he stays out of trouble. Didn't deserve it.
  • Not altogether disappointed with AA's efforts, though the INT made me wonder about his past in that regard. First half was good. Second half, I thought several of his decisions under pressure weren't good. Wouldn't have won the game, but our last play could have resulted in a 1st down if he'd run instead of trying to force a throw. He had a couple of good runs, but I thought he could have some more. I said earlier that we'd know more about him after this game. What I know is that he can lead, manage, and even make some good throws, but I feel more comfortable with what he can do with a lead and better play calls than I do in a catch-up role. Maybe overly critical and the play calls were a factor, but that is my impression. Can he become the guy for the remainder. Not certain with only this game to judge, but I find myself wishing LDR a speedy recovery. Not ready for a freshman behind the wheel just yet.
  • If we stop cussing, weeping, and gnashing our teeth long enough (myself included), we can see some good things. AA's first half, Scarlett and the backs looked good in the 1st half. Callaway, Swain, Hammond, Cleveland, Cronkrite, and a few others made some good catches. Whorton had a great block on Cronk's TD catch and run. The OL, again, had a good first. Anzalone, again, was a man out there with 12 stops and Cox, who I wondered about, had 9. Secondary made some big plays early. But we've got to get more from everybody for a whole game as the schedule gets tougher.
  • UT scoring 35 unanswered points after being down 21-3 is tough to swallow. Almost a bizzaro of the game we went on a scoring blitz with Danny and Co. to hand Peyton one of his 4 losses to the Gators. Nuff said.
I'm a little down, like many of you, but thank goodness for 56 years and a box of Coronas and fresh lime. No children or animals were harmed during the watching of the game and I think we'll get better. Stinks that we'll need help to stay in contention for the East, but I seem to remember that being the case a few times when SOS was at the helm. "God smiled on the Gators" he'd say. Maybe he'll smile again. In the meantime, an early game time with Vandy is at hand an there'll be an opportunity to at least pump out the bilge if not right the ship. Go Gators! Onward and upward as we look for our best. Looking forward to your comments.

*Apologies for not getting this out earlier, but when I tried to get on at 8:30, I couldn't. Maybe a little melting going on? :)

Last edited:

T REX

Founding Member
Jun 24, 2014
Founding Member
0-10-1

Tenn dropped a ton of passes in the first half. It could have been much worse.

Mac and staff get a big fat F

GatorJ

Founding Member
Hopeful
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Nuss was horrific. I think the 1st 15 or so plays are scripted. This staff prepares well but can't do in game adjustments.

2 years of horrible special teams and Nord is still on the payroll. Infuriating.

GatorJ

Founding Member
Hopeful
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Nice take and very reasonable.

gator1946

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
Gotta give you credit, cover, for some glimmer of optimism after this complete cluster.

GatorStud

Founding Member
Score Points, Be Happy
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
Unfortunately, Mac may be out of his league... for him, the job title is nirvana... but for us Mr Mac, we've hoisted Crystal... your nirvana isn't ours.

cover2

Founding Member
I've grown old
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Gotta give you credit, cover, for some glimmer of optimism after this complete cluster.
Thanks '46 (and you, too, J). One motto the teams I used to coach always had was "Never, Ever Give Up!" I still live by it with my health issues and such. I quit something once in my early life and felt filthy. Haven't since and won't again. It's not an admirable quality IMO. I expect that from our coaches and players.

cover2

Founding Member
I've grown old
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Unfortunately, Mac may be out of his league... for him, the job title is nirvana... but for us Mr Mac, we've hoisted Crystal... your nirvana isn't ours.
Might be, Stud. Only way we know for sure is to see what he can do with a better recruiting class with several immediate impact players. But he's got to make that happen. If he doesn't, it is probably a forgone conclusion.

Tunaboat

4th & 34
Lifetime Member
Nov 22, 2015
DBU was a f@king joke. Our secondary just flat out sucks and basically cost us this game. They were horrible, all of them. Our Offense was offensive, they seemed to forget how to play football. Was the 2nd half TN domination all due to coaching changes? If so, what were they and why didn't our coaches counter? This team and our coaching must change the way they do things, dramatically.

Gator Fever

Founding Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
McElwain admitted afterward that he was nervous about UF's starting field position in the first few drives of the second half and didn't want to do anything too risky.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
DBU was a f@king joke. Our secondary just flat out sucks and basically cost us this game. They were horrible, all of them.
The played the soft zone that Side Hat told them to do. Anzalone missed a guy in man but most of it was just Tinerc throwing to the seams in the zone until we got to the redzone. We didn't really play much zone at all in the first half.

I doubt Side Hat came up with the idea, but he sure as hell goes to it quickly and sticks with it. This isn't even close to his worse game. He gave up 650 yards in his last game before probably getting himself fired at Cowbell.

Zambo

Founding Member
Poo Flinger
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
I thought our D just got gassed in the second half after our offense totally **** the bed coming out of the locker room. Yes, UT dropped some passes in the first half but we were tackling and getting pressure and covering well. In the 2nd half none of that happened. You can't go 3 and out ten times in a row and expect your D to hold up, especially against a running QB. You gotta keep the ball for a while and oh by the way score a point or two along the way. I think our starters on D are fine. Maybe not the 85 Bears out there but certainly good enough to win us football games when the offense decides to play as well. The complete abandonment of the forward pass in the 3rd quarter is something I'll go to my grave not understanding. Even Danielson remarked several times that we stopped throwing the ball downfield.

Gator Fever

Founding Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
I thought our D just got gassed in the second half after our offense totally **** the bed coming out of the locker room. Yes, UT dropped some passes in the first half but we were tackling and getting pressure and covering well. In the 2nd half none of that happened. You can't go 3 and out ten times in a row and expect your D to hold up, especially against a running QB. You gotta keep the ball for a while and oh by the way score a point or two along the way. I think our starters on D are fine. Maybe not the 85 Bears out there but certainly good enough to win us football games when the offense decides to play as well. The complete abandonment of the forward pass in the 3rd quarter is something I'll go to my grave not understanding. Even Danielson remarked several times that we stopped throwing the ball downfield.

Well we did hold up on defense mostly last season when the offense wasn't doing crap against those teams until the Bama game. They also were letting Tenn score very quickly not really getting pounded on in most of those scoring drives.

Zambo

Founding Member
Poo Flinger
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
I'll just say this: Our special teams coach needs to be fired yesterday. Our ST have been an abomination for two years now. There is simply no excuse for what I saw out there today. And it has been a long time coming. We don't even try to block a kick, which is fine if you are setting up a return, but we have no earthly idea how to return a punt. It is literally like we have never even seen film of what special teams is supposed to look like. And that is just the receiving side. We can't even get off a clean snap on the first try when we punt, and when we do finally get the punt off there is zero coverage and they return it for a huge gain every damn time. This no talent assclown running our ST needs to be gone immediately.

Zambo

Founding Member
Poo Flinger
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Oh and what the hell was that onside kick? He dribbled it right to the first guy on the line who just fell on it without a single Gator anywhere near the play. I mean the guy is only ten yards down the field and he is already on the ball before our first guy covers even half that distance? Worst onside kick ever.

GatorStud

Founding Member
Score Points, Be Happy
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
Championship Ds... well with a Championship DC don't need no offensive help. All three phases in this game sucked ass and reeked of feces.

Zambo

Founding Member
Poo Flinger
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Championship Ds... well with a Championship DC don't need no offensive help. All three phases in this game sucked ass and reeked of feces.
Championship D? We don't have a championship anything and nobody thought we would. But we can win games if we are just a little bit smart. If our offense could move the ball even a little in the 3rd quarter this is a completely different ball game.

NVGator

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
giphy.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.