Breaking Down Feleipe Franks (how good is he?)

maheo30

WiLLLLLLLie! WiLLLLLLLie!
Lifetime Member
Jul 24, 2014
We've had numerous Trask threads here on GatorChatter, but not many Franks threads. How good is this kid? I've spent the last 90 minutes watching as much highlight tape as I could find. I'd watch and rewatch again and again, breaking down every play if possible. I just enjoy doing stuff like this. Here are the positives and negatives:

Positives:

1. His arm talent is obvious. Franks has an NFL arm. He can make every throw in the route tree and do so with a ton of velocity.
2. Like Trask, he often knows when to put heat on the ball and when to take it off. After watching more tape of Franks, I actually think he is better than Trask at this. Trask often takes too much off his passes.
3. His athleticism immediately sticks out. On the tape, he was usually one of the most athletic and fastest players on the field.
4. Because of his athleticism, he can make throws Trask can't. I'm not talking arm strength. I just mean those times when under pressure a QB is forced to make an awkward throw.
5. He's a risk taker. This is important because I hate Charlie Checkdowns. He isn't afraid to throw it up to an athletic receiver that is one on one with a smaller corner.

Negatives:

1. This leaped off the tape. Way to often he simply wasn't processing things fast enough. On many plays, it devolved into a Manziel-esque schoolyard ball that wasn't at all necessary. His elite athleticism often bailed him out though. That won't happen in the SEC. This really stuck out.
2. This was mentioned by many experts, but his mechanics are awful which is why his completion percentage wasn't that great (58%). They really are bad. However, this is easily fixable with hard work and proper coaching.
3. When the pressure hits, the eyes come down and he takes off to run rather than his eyes staying downfield. This is normal for athletic quarterbacks like him.

Conclusion: If Mac and Nuss can turn Franks into a pocket passer with supreme athleticism, Florida is back baby. However, the things Franks needs to work on take time. He should redshirt this year. Be excited gator fans. The future is bright again in Gainesville.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
90 mins of highlights tape? That would be Trask's entire career. Theyd have to show him in the huddle and timeouts also.

maheo30

Lifetime Member
Jul 24, 2014
I meant to say I watched tape for 90 minutes. It was about 35 minutes worth of highlights.

ufgator812

Founding Member
Duke of Marlborough
Lifetime Member
Jun 20, 2014
Founding Member
I meant to say I watched tape for 90 minutes. It was about 35 minutes worth of highlights.

You seriously just watched high school footage for 90 minutes? If you aren't a coach or scout, this seems a bit excessive...

maheo30

Lifetime Member
Jul 24, 2014
You seriously just watched 90 minutes of high school footage? If you aren't a coach or scout, this seems a bit excessive...

I make my living doing tedious analyzing. I enjoy it. I'd watch more but that is all there is on Franks. I don't see any actual games or I'd watch them too. I do the same thing with draft stuff.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
I agree with your assessment that his mechanics are terrible. Nonetheless he can throw the ball 70 yards. Accuracy is really all that matters. Plenty of great QBs have had terrible mechanics.

The eyes downfield and looking to bolt too soon is always a problem with spread QBs and a huge problem with so many HS playing midget league offenses.

Last edited:

ufgator812

Founding Member
Duke of Marlborough
Lifetime Member
Jun 20, 2014
Founding Member
You realize this dude may never be the starter, what with the Trask-Master and company this year and Jake Allen next year...

chferg

#CousinEddieTime
Aug 5, 2014
Franks will ultimately be the best QB on the roster in a couple of years; Allen has a weak arm and Trask is an unknown....

TLB

Just chillin'
Lifetime Member
Jan 6, 2015
2. This was mentioned by many experts, but his mechanics are awful which is why his completion percentage wasn't that great (58%). They really are bad. However, this is easily fixable with hard work and proper coaching.

If I recall, the kid has had NO coaching for QB skills in his career, all self taught. We'll see how teachable he is, but I expect the hard work part is mostly there for him to be as good as he is under his own development to this point....unless he's that good based on just natural talent and he didn't work his skills.

GatorJB

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Based solely on your assessment, sounds like Franks won't be ready to start until 2018 unless he is extremely coachable and can develop new habits quickly. Even if Franks makes vast improvements, my guess is that Del Rio will still be the starter next year simply because Del Rio will have a better grasp of the game mentally. The QB battle in 2018 will be very interesting between Franks and Allen and maybe even Trask.

maheo30

Lifetime Member
Jul 24, 2014
The eyes downfield and looking to bolt too soon is always a problem with spread QBs and a huge problem with so many HS playing midget league offenses.

It looked like they ran a simplistic spread with many pass plays coming off spread-option. It required little reading like with Oregon or Sumlin's childlike offenses. So he has a long ways to go.

If I recall, the kid has had NO coaching for QB skills in his career, all self taught.

I believe that. Most people on this board could have fixed this kid's mechanics issues or at least improved them some. I'm assuming the head coach actually encouraged the schoolyard ball rather than coaching him.

Based solely on your assessment, sounds like Franks won't be ready to start until 2018.

Not necessarily. Mechanics issues take time but not that long. If he works hard, they will be fixed by next year. Blake Bortles fixed his issues here in Jacksonville in only a few months. Franks has more than a year. As far as the mental aspect, there is no way to know how quickly he can learn and process information. He ran a spread and was probably never challenged.

Alagator

Founding Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
If I recall, the kid has had NO coaching for QB skills in his career, all self taught.

That is correct. I read an article that stated he was the only QB at his all star game that didn't have his own personal QB tutor. It said that after practice all the other QB's were calling their personal QB tutors while Franks was calling home and checking in with Momma and making sure all his chores, like feeding the horses, were getting done.

The article stated that most of these other QB's also had decent coaching at their HS to improve their craft.... Coming from a smaller HS in a rural area, Franks had none of those advantages. He's also the son of a soldier. You can bet he was taught discipline and the value of hard work. He was pure raw talent + self taught. He's getting real coaching for the first time. I think he'll be a great Gator!

t-gator

Founding Member
too sexy for my shirt
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
That is correct. I read an article that stated he was the only QB at his all star game that didn't have his own personal QB tutor. It said that after practice all the other QB's were calling their personal QB tutors while Franks was calling home and checking in with Momma and making sure all his chores, like feeding the horses, were getting done.

The article stated that most of these other QB's also had decent coaching at their HS to improve their craft.... Coming from a smaller HS in a rural area, Franks had none of those advantages. He's also the son of a soldier. You can bet he was taught discipline and the value of hard work. He was pure raw talent + self taught. He's getting real coaching for the first time. I think he'll be a great Gator!
I just thought this needed to be posted again. Franks is just a big strong armed farm boy who's done nothing but win. He didn't need his parents to fly him all over the country to camps in order for him to get a scholarship. I'm looking forward to seeing what this staff will be able to do with him.

Homer J

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Were you watching his high school tape or spring practice?

High school offenses are basic. Give he and Trask this year to redshirt and next year to play in the offense and let them battle LDR in 2018 for the starting position.

Rentmoneygawd

Jan 14, 2016
Del Rio is in some trouble once the young guns get up to speed lol...Hell he may be in trouble during fall camp with ol Appleseed

ufgator2002

Bleeds Orange and Blue
Aug 11, 2014

+1

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.