Callaway and...Cleveland? The Next Great WR Tandem?

heversle

Founding Member
Baba Booey Tata Toothy
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
By all accounts, Sophomore WR Antonio Callaway will be back and starting for us at some point this season (in all likelihood sooner than later -- let's be honest). Naturally, his breakout season last year will incline opposing defenses to cheat to his side of the field more frequently. Consequently, this should allow for plenty of 1 on 1 match ups for our other receivers to take advantage of. At some point next season, I believe that Tyrie Cleveland will emerge and become a major beneficiary of these match ups at the WR position opposite Callaway. Freshmen or not, the kid can flat out play and I believe that he has the potential to become THE option at receiver by season's end.

Do you believe that Cleveland will have a Callaway-esque impact as a Freshmen and form a dangerous duo with Callaway?

Do you expect another WR to break out instead?

Or are you convinced the receivers will largely contribute by committee?

Thoughts?

rogdochar

Founding Member
RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
I think pass-targets by committee... still Cleveland can have a Calloway type breakout season.

TN G8tr

Founding Member
The "Original" TN G8tr
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
I think that it is a true possibility. Mac loves to spread the ball around the multiple targets so I see many having an impact. But the Callaway-Cleveland scenario would be a welcomed one. If that is the case look for the run game to really open up especially with the Backs we have now.

BostonGator84

Founding Member
Infrequent Frequenter
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
I expect our PPG to be up to about 40 this year. No excuses. We are dangerously stacked at wide receiver. And running back. And unproven QBs. And mediocre O-linemen...wait where was I going with this?

Loogis

Lifetime Member
Aug 1, 2014
And (possibly) have a QB to get those downfield throws. That is as much scheme as it is personnel.

Oklahoma Gator

Lifetime Member
Nov 18, 2015
I feel like I heard somewhere that Callaway is back working out with the team over the summer? Has anybody else heard that?

alcoholica

Founding Member
I'm what Willis was talking about
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
I personally think Lewis will be the beneficiary
I thought Lewis was going to breakout last year until he got hurt. Dude is going to be a stud.

I expect to see Cronk and MT catch quite a few this year. We'll take what the defense gives.

CGgater

Gainesville Native
Lifetime Member
Jul 30, 2014
If spring reports are any indication, Hammond and Swain can be reliable targets. That will be valuable if Cleveland needs a little time to adjust. But yeah, I think Cleveland can have a Calloway-type breakout at some point this season.

TN G8tr

Founding Member
The "Original" TN G8tr
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
I would not rule out Massey being in the mix. I think we have what could be one of the best WR corps we've seen in years. This could be a special group.

NoGaGator

Lifetime Member
Aug 11, 2014
Sounds like Massey may be better than Powell. Along with good, pass-catching TE's, passing game could be great IF OL can give Del Rio enough time.

ATXGator

Founding Member
Austin Gator
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
I think Swain might have more of an impact early in the year. He was an EE so he has a head start on the playbook over Cleveland

srivet

Founding Member
Just another fan
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
I prefer not to discuss possible production from athletes I hope will be available. I may provide a different response when practice begins in earnest.

Last edited:

GatorJ

Founding Member
Hopeful
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Sounds like Massey may be better than Powell. Along with good, pass-catching TE's, passing game could be great IF OL can give Del Rio enough time.

I don't think Powell is being replaced by anyone. Watch the last 7 minutes of this video. It's the last 2 scores by us against Tennessee. For some reason I remember Callaway being the hero of that game because of his catch. Grier was all over the map throwing the ball but Powell was PHENOMENAL.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
I am optimistic this will be a great class and Im probably just as excited to see Hammond on the field. He is a physical beast, already one of our strongest. He seems to have the best form and runs very tight routes.

chferg

#CousinEddieTime
Aug 5, 2014
I truly believe Cleveland is going to be an SEC All Freshman guy.

Who knows what will happen when the lights are on but Cleveland is being talked about as having better versatility, more speed, and better and going up and getting the ball then anyone we have on our roster at this moment...

LagoonGator68

Founding Member
mostly peaceful protester
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Nobody is replacing a healthy Powell, except on returns. He fights for the goal line every time, unlike some who inexplicably step out of bounds.

Yankeetown

Gator MBA '84
Lifetime Member
Sep 6, 2014
I've said it before and who knows I might say it again, we returned kickoffs from deep in the end zone last year, especially in the latter part of the season, because the odds of having something good happen from that was much better than the odds that the offense could do something, given the situation with our QB and the line.

We should not need to take those kinds of chances this year, and we won't.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.