Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
Dayum. He graduated highschool at 20?

Concrete Helmet

Hook, Line, and Sinker
Lifetime Member
Jul 29, 2014
A few years back Kelvin Benjamin was ruled ineligible because he was almost 20 years old in his senior season of HS....And I bet some of you wondered why he didn't come to UF. No surprise he signed with FSUX. This is another reason we can't get all the 5 stars out there....

playzwtrux

Founding Member
Wait,... what?
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
it's very common here in AL for parents to hold their kids back at least a year for athletic purposes, physical maturity.

Homer J

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
They mentioned it during the SEC Championship game, that he was older than VHIII.

GatorJB

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
it's very common here in AL for parents to hold their kids back at least a year for athletic purposes, physical maturity.
I've never heard of parents holding their child back multiple years for that reason, and I highly doubt his parents decided to hold him back.

NCOGator

Sep 5, 2014
IDK why but this reminds me of a Gator Growl Skit. I think it was like 1998 or something like that I will try to do it justice.
"Herschel Walker welcome back to the University of Georgia and congratulations on earning your degree. Before we can give it to you we need you to answer one more question. Are you ready?"
"Yes Sir I am."
"Ok what is 2+2"
"It is 4"
The fake Georgia audience, "AHHHHH......One more chance! One more chance...One more chance."

divits

Founding Member
A Muffin of the Studly Variety
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
I've never heard of parents holding their child back multiple years for that reason, and I highly doubt his parents decided to hold him back.

While I'm sure you're right that it wasn't Ridley's parent's idea to hold him back, I have seen parents do that. I know a guy who did it with his son in basketball in order to allow him to mature and grow taller and the kid did in fact end up getting a scholarship. The guy is one of those overbearing parents who took the joy out of sports for his kids by berating them during games and performing all kinds of histrionics in the stands. I was coaching against him in an 8 year old Pop Warner game one time and you would have thought we were in the Super Bowl. I had to get up in his face to tell him to cool it. But off the field he was a pretty nice guy surprisingly. Sports just made him an a$$hole.

GatorJB

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
While I'm sure you're right that it wasn't Ridley's parent's idea to hold him back, I have seen parents do that. I know a guy who did it with his son in basketball in order to allow him to mature and grow taller and the kid did in fact end up getting a scholarship. The guy is one of those overbearing parents who took the joy out of sports for his kids by berating them during games and performing all kinds of histrionics in the stands. I was coaching against him in an 8 year old Pop Warner game one time and you would have thought we were in the Super Bowl. I had to get up in his face to tell him to cool it. But off the field he was a pretty nice guy surprisingly. Sports just made him an a$$hole.

Interesting. I know parents who held their kids back 1 year, but never heard of them doing it 2 or more. I have however seen many parents live their lives vicariously through their child's athletic accomplishments. So sad.

Alagator

Founding Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
......off the field he was a pretty nice guy surprisingly. Sports just made him an a$$hole.

200.gif

Well, fortunately we'd never see that around here.

GatorBart

Founding Member
:bandit:
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Interesting. I know parents who held their kids back 1 year, but never heard of them doing it 2 or more. I have however seen many parents live their lives vicariously through their child's athletic accomplishments. So sad.
Maybe his parents held him back one year, and then the difficulties of elementary school forced him to be held back another year? Like Crete said, some of these highly touted guys are never going to get in to UF, even with the lax standards they have for athletes.

t-gator

Founding Member
too sexy for my shirt
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
So what grade are these guys struggling with?

Double Gator Dad

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
A better question is how were these guys allowed to play high school football?
Back in the day in Florida high schools, you could not be 19 on the day of your first football game and be allowed to play.

I guess this rule is like every other rule in high school now. It is a suggestion only that can be ignored whenever convenient.

A kid that is three years behind his class should never be allowed to play a sport. Instead, they should be required to oh I don't know maybe actually attend a class and learn how to think.

I am such a dinosaur.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    TheFoodGator