heavychevy

water bottle holder
Sep 8, 2014
No, I didn't go noodling with some rednecks, I mentioned a story in the chat box the other day about a former co-worker of mine that got absolutely destroyed by a cat fishing story. I don't know every detail, just what he was willing to say publicly at work about what was going on in his life. ALL of this is stuff he told people, I'm not making up or embellishing any of it. I don't remember the exact time line as this was all a few years ago but I'll do my best. Here it goes.

"Mike" is a mid-30's total douche most of the time, he's basically a cry baby about a lot of things, a dish it out but can't take it kind of guy. He's a meets standards employee not an exceed expectations for sure. Probably 5'7", 170 skinny but somehow has a beer/eats nothing but junk food gut. Going bald on top but longish hair, glasses, pale white never outside skin. Divorced.

About 2 years after he divorced, no one at work has heard anything about a potential prospect other than the occasional date, with no follow up afterward. One day he's walking in like hot ****, and proceeds to tell a lot of people that an old flame reached out to him. Which is strange because he's a loner and only has a few friends at work. The old flame was a former LARP/dungeons & Dragons/ nerd game chick he met doing that. Her name was Bella and it had been since before his marriage that he had heard from her, 10 years or so. Everyone is congratulating him and asking about her and he's kind of vague about her looks and career but said "she's loaded" more than a few times.

Some time goes by and I start hearing some stuff from Mike that is just kind of too good to be true. Bella had quite a few careers that just didn't seem possible. Her main job was a lawyer, she was licensed in multiple states, one being Tennessee (where she lived in a multimillion dollar log cabin) and one being Florida where she lived in the Ocala area. She was apparently a recently added partner also who did some freelance type work for large corporations overseas. Bella was also either a part time police K9 handler or a past handler, I forget the specifics of that. Everyone at work thought this was all a little questionable so we did some googling and found zero information on this ultra successful lawyer, former police K9 handler. The timeline for someone in their mid-30's to have that much accomplished at that age seemed a bit out of reach. No one could bare to call him on it just because he was actually happy and not being a major douche.

The first one on one conversation Mike and I had about her was him spontaneously showing me a picture of a '67 Chevelle. Pristine, auction quality 6 coats of wax Chevelle. "Hey man check it out, this is what I'm gunna be driving in a few weeks" he says. I'm like sweet dude, where'd you buy that thing from? And why? Mike's current vehicle is an early 2000 Nissan Sentra. "Oh, I didn't buy it, this is my girlfriend Bella's. She's got this, an older Camaro, and some other cars. Her dad restored them, they're just sitting in storage and Bella said they need to be driven." I'm like wow man that's awesome, I've always loved those cars. He was just kind of showing off about the whole thing, came off as a douche. I didn't really believe him, the pictures seemed kind of professionally done, lighting, the whole nine yards. If he shows up driving a muscle car, sweet, good for him I won't hold my breath. Needless to say he never did.

The first major incident I remember is that Bella is in London working a court case. Her ex-husband was after her, he was a special forces sniper - still on active duty- that had a history of threatening her. Well apparently he was after her in London, threatened to kill her the whole deal. She gets a 6 man security detail and is quarantined in her hotel and is forced to miss a planned meetup with Mike when she was supposed to be coming home, because soon after she got home she was leaving for a couple of week cruise. Everyone at work is asking why is she not getting the embassy involved or reaching out to the military to get them involved. "she doesn't want to ruin his career" is his answer. Yes, those words came out of his mouth. This is all during a weekend that we work, which is Friday Saturday and Sunday. Well, I either Sunday or our day off Monday my wife and I are catching up on DVR shows and watch criminal minds. By god the criminal minds is a damn military sniper with a vengeance for ex-girlfriends or something to that extent. At this point I've lost it and refuse to believe another word he says about her. If anything my goal is to fuel the fire as much as I can because I really can't stand the guy.

He was never really clear on the eventual outcomes of these events. Just "she got it handled" everything turned out ok type stuff.

So we get back to work and next thing I hear is Bella is in an Italian hospital. I'm like wtf? How did that happen. Apparently while on her cruise, she falls off the boat and hits her head. In a coma for a couple days, during which Mike is "talking to Bella's friend using Bella's account". Mike is freaking TORE up about this, isn't sleeping, coming to work stank from not showering. Bella finally wakes up and first thing she wants to do is talk to Mike. (Even at this point no one at work is completely sure he has communicated with her over anything but text/email.) Mike is so relieved he said he cried himself to sleep! Yes, told people he cried himself to sleep. A few days go by and Mike is frustrated that the Italian doctors won't release Bella. Bella is perfectly fine and calls in a few of her doctor pals to try to convince the Italian doctors to release her. Just before releasing her they do one final checkup on her and find she has some kind of serious heart condition, she needs heart surgery for whatever condition she has, again, very vague. At this point everyone but a few are just blowing off all of his stories, we really didn't know if he was making the whole thing up or someone was royally screwing with him.

Her doctor pals fly her (by private jet, non-stop from Italy) to a heart surgeon in south Florida. She died on the plane but her friends revived her. At this point he is itching to get down to see her. While running tests after her surgery, docs find that when Bella is talking to Mike, Bella's heart goes in to overdrive and that's not good for a newly operated heart, they need to cut communicators for a while, Bella's sister will liaison and provide updates for a few weeks while Bella recovers. Mike goes quiet for a little bit.

This is just the tip of the ice berg, I'll add posts as I get time. Stay tuned. I swear non of this is made up.

Sent from my AR-15 at 3000 feet per second.

Last edited:

Durty South Swamp

Founding Member
doodley doodley doo!
Lifetime Member
Jun 19, 2014
Founding Member
Cant say ive ever known anyone who got catfished, or at least known anyone who has admitted to being catfished. I might be a little too old for that whole thing, seems like its a relatively new phenomena resulting from the rise of social media. I was all about the myspace back in the day :dance:

heavychevy

water bottle holder
Sep 8, 2014
After talking at work today about it I realized I missed some gems in the beginning part of the story.

The wedding:
In the early stages before all the health issues started, they were to be married. They created a "theknot.com" page with a bunch of pictures -none of which were of them in the same frame, just mashes of different pictures of each of them photoshopped together. He would come in telling how they planned to rent out an entire wing of the grand Floridian resort at Disney world as well as the chapel. Then changed it to the ritz Carlton with a smaller bank of rooms. We called the ritz and take a guess when we asked to reserve a room for their wedding.... No clue from the receptionist. I didn't call him on it because I thought it was funny as **** to watch this unfold.

Also forgot to mention she had a kid. Didn't hear about the kid until she fell off the boat. Her doctor friends brought the kid with them to Italy to see her. The kid seemed to be like the green ranger in the original power rangers, only showed up randomly.

Now, Bella was finally well enough to go home to Ocala but due to her heart going in to overdrive they had to still limit contact for a few weeks. I vividly remember him saying at the end of a work week he was moving in with her because she could finally "take it." He had everything he owned in his car for 3 days waiting for her to say he could come. Finally on the last day he worked, he gets off at 7pm. Right around 4 o'clock Mike gets a call from the sister. Her and Bella are in Panama City. She was apparently air lifted from her home to sacred heart hospital in the pan handle. Mike is in tears at work. Trying everything he can to get off early and no one is letting him. It's a little fuzzy what he ended up doing at this point.

A few of us at work called every possible medical chopper we could think of and no one ran any calls other than the usual hospital to hospital flights with organs and such, no scene calls. We let him know we called and you could see him trying to come up with possibilities in his head. I guess he asked her because he later said she was flown in a small plane out to sacred heart, that's why we struck out when we called the life flight guys.

This is where it starts getting absolutely ridiculous and I'm getting busy. I'll add to it later.

Sent from my AR-15 at 3000 feet per second.

Bait'n Gator

Go away..... bait'n
Lifetime Member
Mar 14, 2015
I feel like I'm waiting on the next episode of Game of Thrones to come on waiting on the rest of this story.

Gatorhunter

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Sounds like less of a catfish situation and more like you've got a master fabricator on your hands. I hate those people. I dated a girl once who had this elaborate story about having cancer. Eventually figured out that it was all made up. Looking forward to hearing how you bust him on it.

crosscreekcooter

Founding Member
Cunning Linguist; RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
I had the same question for heavy and he was kind enough to share with me his first draft, which was actually handwritten.

heavychevy

water bottle holder
Sep 8, 2014
ok so I'm not really sure where this fits in the timeline but

After surviving multiple resuscitations at the hospital in panama city, Bella and her sister went home... to the Tennessee house. Mike really wanted to drive up to Tennessee but Bella made it clear that it was a bad idea for them to spend time together while in her weak state. Mike is an absolute wreck at work, calling in sick, being even more of an ass hole to everyone when he does show up and absolutely GLUED to his phone and email. like clicking refresh every few minutes.

finally Bella is well enough to come to her Ocala house. On the drive home, they stop somewhere in Georgia to spend the night. Bella's sister dies in her sleep in the hotel. Bella is named as a suspect in the sister's death, detained by police and spends a night in jail until it was determined in the autopsy that the sister had brain cancer, thus granting Bella her release. All this over 2 days. "Bella had them put a rush on the autopsy" was his response to questions on how they managed to discover she had brain cancer in only a couple days.

Over the next few weeks the story just started getting out of hand and mike was starting to genuinely worry some of us. The wheels were starting to come off. We still weren't sure if he was so crazy that he was making the whole thing up or if someone was behind the scene fabricating all this and he was just that freaking stupid to fall for all these crazy coincidences... neither of which are good. We let some higher ups know about the situation and they actually took some action. Called him in to talk with him and see what was going on. He seemed to kind of snap out of it for a day or two. then something outrageous happened again and he asked to take a leave of absence. Bosses were more than willing to get him out of here, gave him a month. Said go handle you stuff.... turned his 2 weeks in about a week later. no one knows how it ended. he deleted everyone from work off of his facebook, all his social media got blocked. none of us know the end of what he discovered about Bella.

About 3 months ago he just showed up to work, said he applied to come back and that he talked with the bosses and they said he could come back. Didn't have a start date or anything though, well the dumbass didn't think they would make him go through the entire hiring process and failed his psychological evaluation (psych evals are normal hiring process). Bosses told the psych doc to do some digging in to Bella, obviously he cant share what all Mike said but Mike was not fit to return to our line of work. Haven't heard heads or tails about him since, asked around the past few days and no one at work has either.

t-gator

Founding Member
too sexy for my shirt
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
Man that's a disappointing ending

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Birthdays

Forum statistics