Chad Grier Sporting News article on Will

URGatorBait

Founding Member
Ox's Former Favorite Poster
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
gardnerwebbgator;n298058 said:
Meh. Chad will be the first to pull Will out of here once the appeal is officially denied, which it will be since the NCAA are a bunch of nitwits.

I really don't understand this position.

It would do Will no good to pick up and leave. This isn't the school punishing him, it's the NCAA. He'd have to wait just as long, if not longer, to get on the playing field if he left.

gardnerwebbgator

Founding Member
Aight Then
Lifetime Member
Jun 19, 2014
Founding Member
URGatorBait;n298066 said:

It would do Will no good to pick up and leave. This isn't the school punishing him, it's the NCAA. He'd have to wait just as long, if not longer, to get on the playing field if he left.

Just theorizing Chad Grier being overbearing, that he is a decent high school coach up here and no doubt has contacts at least with schools at every level in the state of NC, and, more positively, if Treon does well and gets us to Atlanta, it will be his team and Will will never see the field here again.

lagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 9, 2014
URGatorBait;n298066 said:

It would only make sense if he had obviously lost his starting job with not much hope of regaining it. Then he could find a long list of schools who would promise him the starting job if he cam on board. But I don't see that happening and think he would have a good shot at taking back his job.

But since we're playing "what if", what if we win the SEC and make the playoff? Then what if we are undefeated after 6 games next year? Harris would still have another year of eligibility and be so entrenched as the starter that Will might have to seriously consider looking elsewhere. That would be a QB controversy I would gladly welcome, even if it's not very likely.

URGatorBait

Founding Member
Ox's Former Favorite Poster
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
gardnerwebbgator;n298068 said:
Just theorizing Chad Grier being overbearing, that he is a decent high school coach up here and no doubt has contacts at least with schools at every level in the state of NC, and, more positively, if Treon does well and gets us to Atlanta, it will be his team and Will will never see the field here again.
There is no doubt in my mind, and probably everyone in Grier's family, that he can beat Treon out for the job again. Harris should do well, but let's face it, Grier is just better.

The problem with him transferring is that just to maintain the time frame that he'll be off the field, he'll have to go to a lower division. If he stays in the current division, he'd likely have to sit out all next season due to the transfer rules. Throw on top of that learning all new play books, if UF continues to treat him like family, and the team continues to rally around each other, I don't see how it's in anyway beneficial for him to leave.

Does his dad have an ego? Perhaps, probably so, but I don't get the feeling that it's one that would force Will to leave this program.

divits

Founding Member
A Muffin of the Studly Variety
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
URGatorBait;n298075 said:
There is no doubt in my mind, and probably everyone in Grier's family, that he can beat Treon out for the job again. Harris should do well, but let's face it, Grier is just better.

The problem with him transferring is that just to maintain the time frame that he'll be off the field, he'll have to go to a lower division. If he stays in the current division, he'd likely have to sit out all next season due to the transfer rules. Throw on top of that learning all new play books, if UF continues to treat him like family, and the team continues to rally around each other, I don't see how it's in anyway beneficial for him to leave.

Does his dad have an ego? Perhaps, probably so, but I don't get the feeling that it's one that would force Will to leave this program.

I agree. Besides the fact that Grier seems to really enjoy Florida, leaving would really offer no positives. He'd still have to compete for a position. The more likely scenario is that he in fact does return and does in fact beat out Harris for the job again and Harris leaves after feeling he's earned the job. This of course is dependent on whether Harris plays lights out or is just competent.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
lagator;n298048 said:
Boy, you guys are a bit harsh. What do you want to do, hang him? You want a hanging Chad? (kind of a long way to go for that payoff)
I gave you a sympathy like for the effort.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
divits;n298081 said:
I agree. Besides the fact that Grier seems to really enjoy Florida, leaving would really offer no positives. He'd still have to compete for a position. The more likely scenario is that he in fact does return and does in fact beat out Harris for the job again and Harris leaves after feeling he's earned the job. This of course is dependent on whether Harris plays lights out or is just competent.
I don't understand people who think that "one QB must transfer." They call themselves brothers and support each other publicly. Everyone comments on their relationship. I have no reason to think it isn't true. They have seen very clearly that one guy can get hurt any time and the team needs two QBs. They don't even graduate the same year now.

Believe it or not we've had two QBs on the team for their entire careers. Some teams have put two QBs from the same class in the NFL. No reason Mac can't do it.

Transferring is not inevitable. Some seem to think they are proving themselves smart by insisting it is.

divits

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
Law98gator;n298125 said:
I don't understand people who think that "one QB must transfer." They call themselves brothers and support each other publicly. Everyone comments on their relationship. I have no reason to think it isn't true. They have seen very clearly that one guy can get hurt any time and the team needs two QBs. They don't even graduate the same year now.

Believe it or not we've had two QBs on the team for their entire careers. Some teams have put two QBs from the same class in the NFL. No reason Mac can't do it.

Transferring is not inevitable. Some seem to think they are proving themselves smart by insisting it is.

I used to think this way too. But the times they are a changin'. The reason people think this way is because we've seen it many times with our own Gators.

Kresser
Berlin
Martin
Brissett
Murphy
Driskel
Mornhinweg

Here's an article listing just some of the Division one QB transfers for 2015.

https://athlonsports.com/college-football/college-footballs-impact-quarterback-transfers-2015

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Martin, Murphy and Mweg? Scout teamers.

Berlin, Brissett and Driskel? Jilted. And more Chimp than anything else with the last two.

Fwiw, we encouraged Kresser to leave in 96 because he deserved it. He certainly left on good terms and would have stayed if it were not for SOS blessing and the chance to win and earn a pro career (which he did, however short) with Pruett at Marshall.

I could also make a long list of QBs that transferred, sat out a year, and didn't get to play at their next school either (or took years to catch up on the playbook).

These guys are different. They are brothers, they strive to make each other better, and they care about the team first.

divits

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
Law98gator;n298209 said:
Martin, Murphy and Mweg? Scout teamers.

Berlin, Brissett and Driskel? Jilted. And more Chimp than anything else with the last two.

Fwiw, we encouraged Kresser to leave in 96 because he deserved it. He certainly left on good terms and would have stayed if it were not for SOS blessing and the chance to win and earn a pro career (which he did, however short) with Pruett at Marshall.

I could also make a long list of QBs that transferred, sat out a year, and didn't get to play at their next school either (or took years to catch up on the playbook).

These guys are different. They are brothers, they strive to make each other better, and they care about the team first.

Certainly hope you're correct. But the current climate in college football is not in our favor.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    TheFoodGator