Coaching candidates for 2024

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
I'm pissed CBN didn't jump at bringing him in. Kerwin Bell would never choose to be an OC for another coach again and is only accepting HBC roles. But, his son would be perfect here.
:banghead:

If you are Napier do you really want your replacement in the building? How many games would the fans be asking him to be replaced by the Mighty Bell.

AuggieDosta

I Don't Re Member
Lifetime Member
Aug 1, 2018
If you are Napier do you really want your replacement in the building? How many games would the fans be asking him to be replaced by the Mighty Bell.
You could be right.

And, I can understand why you would see it that way, as most fans are also seeing it that way, but I can guarantee you that CBN isn't looking at an inbound coach as his eventual replacement. He believes that they're on the right path or are just a play here and and or a recruit there from being copacetic. So he views bringing in any coach is making the team better.

Now, IMO, there is 1 positional coach that does imply your meaning above; that's the OC position. He may be reluctant to give up the OC duties, and at this point I'd say that's a given, but if he ever decides (admittedly too late IMO) to hire an OC, then it'll be for two reasons...
1. To make the team better
2. That he was forced to do so by the Admin or Bull Gators and understands that it MAY be to replace him, eventually

He's made several comments about how "it's fun to do this", or "we're lucky to do this", and "ain't this great!" He truly believes that he can still play the game he loves and by coaching, he's as close to it as possible. He surely thinks that calling the offensive plays is adjacent to actually suiting up and stepping onto the field. So yeah, he's very reluctant to give that up.

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
You could be right.

And, I can understand why you would see it that way, as most fans are also seeing it that way, but I can guarantee you that CBN isn't looking at an inbound coach as his eventual replacement. He believes that they're on the right path or are just a play here and and or a recruit there from being copacetic. So he views bringing in any coach is making the team better.

Now, IMO, there is 1 positional coach that does imply your meaning above; that's the OC position. He may be reluctant to give up the OC duties, and at this point I'd say that's a given, but if he ever decides (admittedly too late IMO) to hire an OC, then it'll be for two reasons...
1. To make the team better
2. That he was forced to do so by the Admin or Bull Gators and understands that it MAY be to replace him, eventually

He's made several comments about how "it's fun to do this", or "we're lucky to do this", and "ain't this great!" He truly believes that he can still play the game he loves and by coaching, he's as close to it as possible. He surely thinks that calling the offensive plays is adjacent to actually suiting up and stepping onto the field. So yeah, he's very reluctant to give that up.
Napier is a teacher more than anything, that includes his staff. What could Napier who has less experience than Bell, teach Bell.

GatorScott

If you ain't first, you're last
Jan 21, 2019
Napier is a teacher more than anything, that includes his staff. What could Napier who has less experience than Bell, teach Bell.
But what in the world is Napier actually capable of teaching? Except how to be a nice guy and how to be a "ah shucks" guy.

What's considered his "calling card"? What is he considered "top notch" or a genius at? I honestly cannot name one single thing. Maybe he's top notch at being folksy with his phrases and his sayings, but he's not a motivator, nor a leader, nor a teacher, nor a technician, nor a genius. He's just a nice guy and I don't want a nice guy coaching the Gators. I want a "killer" coaching our Gators that's cutthroat and an assassin and wants to curb stomp every single team into oblivion and doesn't give a f*** about anyone's feelings.

AuggieDosta

I Don't Re Member
Lifetime Member
Aug 1, 2018
Well, the X post was of Kerwin Bell's SON so CBN would have plenty to teach Kade Bell...
1702397138495.png

And IMO, he would also learn a lot from Kade Bell.
Look, I know we're all pissed and it's the popular thing to pile on CBN but to say he has nothing to offer is hyperbole and is not accurate. So, if he ever turns this schitt-show around we'll all then point to the reasons why his first two/three years were miserable and that will surely include:
- his stubbornness
- he's too nice (ie no killer instinct)
- was too loyal
- can't call offense. Had to learn it the hard way and was saved by hiring xx for OC
- was hamstrung on offense by players that refused to buy-in or learn or do their job (ie ETN not blocking, etc.)
- disregarded special teams
- trusted a very young D-Coordinator while he "learned on the job" (but, hopefully, becomes a bright spot for us)
- etc. etc. etc.

I know I've been politicking for Kerwin but I never really even considered his son Kade. His youth and pedigree would fit in perfectly at UF and this would have been THE perfect hire for OC as it brings back some of the old Florida, has a connection to a prodigal son in Kerwin and has an exciting offensive game plan, of which CBN's offense isn't, outside that one year at Clemson when they set all those ACC records.
I really, really wish CBN would have chosen to pull Kade before he got snatched up by Pitt.
This is yet another wasted opportunity, or one not pursued, and is extremely frustrating.

Last edited:

neteng

Fuga!
Lifetime Member
Oct 15, 2018
I understand. What I’m saying is for years we didn’t have the commitment. That all changed when Mullen was dismissed. Stricklin admitted as much in his introductory press conference. The focus is there. The facilities are there. NIL is a work in progress but is there. We need a coach. If Napier doesn’t pan out and knock it out of the park this upcoming season, it won’t be because he didn’t have the support of the administration.
And what will you say when he drops another losing season and he is still the coach going into 25 season?

neteng

Fuga!
Lifetime Member
Oct 15, 2018
I think we need to consider coaches with NFL HC experience. Worked out well at USC with Pete Carroll. I’m thinking Bill Cowher, Bill Parcels, maybe Tony Dungy. I think all 3 would light it up here.

Okay, obviously I’m joking about that. I think Urban is interested so he should be towards the top of the list. Lanning, Day, Kiffin and several others that have already been mentioned in this thread should all be contacted to see if we can lure them away.

If we can’t, then I wouldn’t sleep on Eli Drinkwitz. I’m not saying he should be at the top of the list but he’s done a good job at Missouri and appears to grasp the concept of being a HC, meaning he’s learned his primary role is being CEO, not his own bumbling, stumbling OC and the cheerleader for all the opposing teams that beat his azz.
Are You Stupid Antoine Dodson GIF

Durty South Swamp

Founding Member
doodley doodley doo!
Lifetime Member
Jun 19, 2014
Founding Member
Well, the X post was of Kerwin Bell's SON so CBN would have plenty to teach Kade Bell...
View attachment 65134

And IMO, he would also learn a lot from Kade Bell.
Look, I know we're all pissed and it's the popular thing to pile on CBN but to say he has nothing to offer is hyperbole and is not accurate. So, if he ever turns this schitt-show around we'll all then point to the reasons why his first two/three years were miserable and that will surely include:
- his stubbornness
- he's too nice (ie no killer instinct)
- was too loyal
- can't call offense. Had to learn it the hard way and was saved by hiring xx for OC
- was hamstrung on offense by players that refused to buy-in or learn or do their job (ie ETN not blocking, etc.)
- disregarded special teams
- trusted a very young D-Coordinator while he "learned on the job" (but, hopefully, becomes a bright spot for us)
- etc. etc. etc.

I know I've been politicking for Kerwin but I never really even considered his son Kade. His youth and pedigree would fit in perfectly at UF and this would have been THE perfect hire for OC as it brings back some of the old Florida, has a connection to a prodigal son in Kerwin and has an exciting offensive game plan, of which CBN's offense isn't outside that one year at Clemson when they set all those ACC records.
I really, really wish CBN would have chosen to pull Kade before he got snatched up by Pitt.
This is yet another wasted opportunity or one not pursued and is extremely frustrating.
well if we're stuck with window licker for another season, maybe in the meantime Kade absolutely kills it and he gets a look when tater is eventually trash canned.

neteng

Fuga!
Lifetime Member
Oct 15, 2018
Mostly profanity. Probably shot or two at you.
you'd miss and it would just be another failure for you

but I get it and agree, the admin (and boosters/donors) does seem to want to change things but I really think they are committed to the long game this go around. Its frustrating because out of the previous 3 coaches, Napier probably has got the closest to turning it around but the way we lost the games we did this season means that Napier may have to change the way he gameday coaches as well as let go of the offense to another coach. I really dont see him doing that. I remember us making fun of Kirby and his horrible game day coaching and he seemed to overcome it by out recruiting his game day decisions for the most part. uga still struggles against teams with equal talent. I think that is what we are going to get out of Napier if he can turn it around...loaded roster but wont be able to out coach a team with equal talent on the other side of the ball.

AuggieDosta

I Don't Re Member
Lifetime Member
Aug 1, 2018
well if we're stuck with window licker for another season, maybe in the meantime Kade absolutely kills it and he gets a look when tater is eventually trash canned.
Absolutely, I'd have no problem do that or hiring Kerwin, knowing he'd then poach his son from Pitt.
Hiring Kade as HBC after only 1 year as Pitt's OC would scare me re. program coordination and recruiting.

Getting the band back together, so to speak, would be an awesome story. Maybe go get that O-line coach from Penn St., Phil Trautwein, and a few others that have been scattered by the winds.
:grouphug:

:chomp:

GBHOR

Its Not Awful
Lifetime Member
Oct 21, 2014
I agree. Doesn't mean I want the lazy fuch back. He'd be our Marc Richt for years and years, posting above average results but never winning anything significant.
Getting to above average would be significant at this point, like landing on the moon or kittyhawk

SGG

Call me Ernie, or Big Ern
Lifetime Member
Sep 24, 2015
you'd miss and it would just be another failure for you

but I get it and agree, the admin (and boosters/donors) does seem to want to change things but I really think they are committed to the long game this go around. Its frustrating because out of the previous 3 coaches, Napier probably has got the closest to turning it around but the way we lost the games we did this season means that Napier may have to change the way he gameday coaches as well as let go of the offense to another coach. I really dont see him doing that. I remember us making fun of Kirby and his horrible game day coaching and he seemed to overcome it by out recruiting his game day decisions for the most part. uga still struggles against teams with equal talent. I think that is what we are going to get out of Napier if he can turn it around...loaded roster but wont be able to out coach a team with equal talent on the other side of the ball.
:grin:

GatorScott

If you ain't first, you're last
Jan 21, 2019
I agree. Doesn't mean I want the lazy fuch back. He'd be our Marc Richt for years and years, posting above average results but never winning anything significant.
hell, I'd give anything for the Zook years of 8-5, 8-5 and 7-5, when we all thought the sky was falling, compared to the Side Show Bob we have running our program currently.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Birthdays

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    TheFoodGator