College football magazines: What are they saying about Florida?

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014
Good summary of the CFB magazines comments and predictions on our season:

https://www.seccountry.com/florida/college-football-magazines-what-are-they-saying-about-florida

We reviewed five preseason magazines — Athlon, ESPN, Lindy’s, Phil Steele and The Sporting News — and broke down their team-by-team predictions.

Tuesday, we examine Florida. Here is what’s being said about the Gators:

Phil Steele (2nd in SEC East [tied] — TaxSlayer Bowl): “Florida has the advantage of having only three true SEC road games this year, with UGA being at a neutral site. If they take care of business there, the Gators have beaten Tennessee 11 straight seasons and should they continue that streak, they could be in a second straight SEC title game.”

Athlon (3rd in SEC East — No. 21, 8-4, TaxSlayer Bowl): “To get back to the SEC title game, (coach Jim) McElwain will need to develop a reliable offense despite a litany of unknowns … The encore could be a bigger test of his coaching; these Gators will not sneak up on anyone.”

Sporting News (3rd in SEC East — Liberty Bowl): “If the Gators can continue their hex on the Vols and get productive play at quarterback, their defense should be good enough again to make them competitive with Tennessee and Georgia for the SEC East crown.”

Lindy’s (3rd in SEC East): “Florida should be able to lean on a terrific defense … The offense will need time to jell due to new players at virtually all of the skill positions, but the talent level is improving there thanks to McElwain.”

ESPN (3rd in SEC East — 7.4 projected wins): “The offense still faces major hurdles, but the defense will be elite again, so Florida will contend once more for the SEC East in McElwain’s encore.”

Preseason All-American selections: Jalen Tabor (1st x3, 2nd x1), Jarrad Davis (1st x1, 2nd x1), Marcus May (1st x1, 3rd x1), Johnny Townsend (2nd x1), Antonio Callaway (3rd x1), Martez Ivey (4th x1), Eddie Pineiro (4th x1)

Preseason All-SEC selections: Jalen Tabor (1st, unanimous), Jarrad Davis (1st x2, 2nd x1), Johnny Townsend (1st x2, 2nd x3), Martez Ivey (2nd x2), Caleb Brantley (1st x1, 2nd x1, 4th x1), Marcus Maye (2nd x3), Eddie Pineiro (2nd x1), David Sharpe (3rd x2), Antonio Callaway (2nd x1, 3rd x1), Cece Jefferson (3rd x1), Bryan Cox, Jr. (4th x1)

More notes
  • Athlon spoke to an anonymous coach who had high praise for McElwain’s first year: “I don’t know if anyone has deserved SEC Coach of the Year more than Jim McElwain last year because they coached their everloving tail off on offense to get as close as they got (to a championship).”
  • ESPN spoke to an anonymous coach about Luke Del Rio: “He’s a walk-on QB at best. He’ll be more of that Will Grier type, where he’s going to manage it and they’ll build that offense around his qualities — quick reads, quick decisions, drop back and throw it deep on a go route.”
  • Phil Steele listed Florida No. 22 in his “Power Poll,” which was based on talent only. He listed Florida No. 34 in his season predictions.
  • ESPN’s Football Power Index lists two games as Florida’s toughest to win: at Tennessee (19 percent chance of victory) and at Florida State (14 percent).
  • Sporting News named Luke Del Rio the SEC’s “Top Transfer,” noting he will get the most chances of anyone to “revive Florida’s slumbering offense.”
  • Athlon noted the 2015 Gators defense finished No. 4 in the nation in “field position,” meaning Florida consistently forced opponents into tough situations by halting their progress on consecutive drives.
  • Athlon named defensive end Cece Jefferson one of its 15 “Breakout Players” across the country.
  • Lindy’s named Florida’s defensive backfield the best in the nation. Alongside star cornerback Jalen Tabor, safety Marcus Maye got some love: “Maye is a big-time playmaker (seven career forced fumbles) and could give the Gators a double-shot of All-American DBs.”
  • Lindy’s named Antonio Callaway the SEC’s “most dangerous deep threat,” and Jalen Tabor the conference’s “best cover corner.” The magazine also listed Tabor No. 5 in its collection of the SEC’s best NFL prospects.

TheBigClaw

Founding Member
Proud to be a Gator
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
I love this. Gives us a chip on our shoulders. Defending SEC east champs and projected to be at best 2nd, mainly third in the east race? We'll see

Oklahoma Gator

Lifetime Member
Nov 18, 2015
The Season is really about 3 things.. How good is Del Rio (my guess is pretty good) how much better is the Oline (should go from being bad to serviceable ) and how healthy our DBs and LBs (hard to know) . I'm feeling more and more confident in LDR every day to be a better than a game manager if not a full fledge play maker. The question is can he get there before Knoxville. By virtue of everyone being a year older, the oline should be better. The Health of the back 7 is a complete unknown but but the starters back there are as good as any group in the country. I think we could be in for another 10 win season if for no other reason than Treon will never see the field of us again.

T REX

Founding Member
Jun 24, 2014
Founding Member
All hacks and fishwraps. None of those publications have a clue.

Gator Fever

Founding Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
Nothing there was too far off probably but I think Georgia is getting too much love having a first year coach and we know Tenn keeps failing to meet expectations. Our defense should keep us in most every game so if the offense is improved we could definitely win the East again.

ThreatMatrix

Lifetime Member
Aug 28, 2014
"ESPN spoke to an anonymous coach about Luke Del Rio: “He’s a walk-on QB at best. He’ll be more of that Will Grier type, where he’s going to manage it"

Only coach I know of that could be that wrong is in South Carolina.

jmskjrgator

Lifetime Member
Sep 9, 2014
"ESPN spoke to an anonymous coach about Luke Del Rio: “He’s a walk-on QB at best. He’ll be more of that Will Grier type, where he’s going to manage it"

If you save your magazines until the season
is over you will quit wasting your money
on them.

Durty South Swamp

Founding Member
doodley doodley doo!
Lifetime Member
Jun 19, 2014
Founding Member

I read that and went crosseyed from it. Statement makes zero sense. Saying deal rio is at best walkon, then saying he's like Grier? Dumbass.

Captain Sasquatch

Founding Member
Mr. SQ, the Sashole
BANNED
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
Yeah Grier didn't light the world on fire or anything last year, but he sure as hell played better than a walk on.

Also, isn't that coach aware that Del Rio is now on scholarship? :dance:

t-gator

Founding Member
too sexy for my shirt
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
Definitely a muschampish comment

Lake Gator

SUBMARINERS GO DEEPER
Lifetime Member
Feb 13, 2016
All hacks and fishwraps. None of those publications have a clue.

So true...but who does have a clue? At least these guys are making a nickel or two publishing a bunch of bravo sierra.

Last edited:

gatordad3

You're stewed, buttwad!
Lifetime Member
Jan 31, 2016
Yeah Grier didn't light the world on fire or anything last year, but he sure as hell played better than a walk on.

Also, isn't that coach aware that Del Rio is now on scholarship? :dance:
Maybe have been quoted before Del Rio was awarded a scholarship.

I quit buying those magazines years ago.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Birthdays

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    TheFoodGator