College Football or NFL

EuroGator

Founding Member
Voice of Reason
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
college-ncaa-vs-nfl.jpeg

I was thinking recently that this topic might make for some interesting discussion.

What do you like about college football that is distinct from NFL football? ...and are there aspects of the NFL that you prefer or would like incorporated in NCAA Football?

Go!

playzwtrux

Founding Member
Wait,... what?
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
College because:

1. NFL is a bunch of whiney babies
2. NFL players are payed
3. the tailgate parties
4. the co-eds are prettier

hands down, college football wins

Last edited:

rockinchair

Dec 11, 2015
I actually the enjoy the NFL quite a bit.

What I enjoy most, though, is the speed and physicality of the players. Those guys are incredibly fast and hit incredibly hard. They're just phenomenal athletes.

Still prefer college to the pros though.

maheo30

WiLLLLLLLie! WiLLLLLLLie!
Lifetime Member
Jul 24, 2014
I love the gators and watch every snap during the season. However, the NFL is what I love to watch. The game itself has so much more depth compared to the watered down trash seen in college football nowadays. This especially applies to the offensive side of the ball.

GatorBart

Founding Member
:bandit:
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
NCAA and NFL management are a bunch of idiots. Don't care for either.
That said, I don't really care about how they're managed, unless it affects the Gators - I'll watch any football game, any time.
:bart:

gardnerwebbgator

Founding Member
Aight Then
Lifetime Member
Jun 19, 2014
Founding Member
Not anti-NFL, but college football hands down, not even close....

- Coeds.
- Any campus, any level. Alumni and fan pride rule. Take in a FCS or D-2 playoff game sometime if you can.
- Tailgating is better, most NFL stadiums are in urban concrete jungles, while you have awesome campuses nationwide in college. Try topping The Grove for 'scenery' of all sorts, or the food down in the land of the corndogs. Ain't gonna happen in the NFL.
- Bands and fight songs. If I got sent to hell, no doubt Rocky Top, Hail To The Victors, Glory to UGA, and the Tomahawk Chop will be on constant replay, but when their bands play, it is tradition.
- Other traditions, Mr. Two Bits, running through the T, Touchdown Jesus, the Georgia Tech 'Ramblin' Wreck Ford Model A, Howard's Rock, 2001 in Columbia, dotting the 'I' in Script Ohio, etc.

However, one stands clearly above all the rest.....

- We Are The Boys at the end of the 3rd quarter. 90,000 swaying and singing in unison....nothing touches it.

heavychevy

water bottle holder
Sep 8, 2014
not even close. in fact I'd venture to say I'd rather watch the elite high school teams when they're on TV over the NFL.

Gatordiddy

Member in good standing
Lifetime Member
Jul 23, 2014
IMO - I think it's more or less what you have invested in growing up.
I distinctly remember watching Reeves and Alvarez and thinking that's what I want to do when I got bigger.
Not much NFL in the south growing up if you weren't a 'phins fan - Falcons were kind of crappy back in the 60s/70s.

The traditions and the 'every game matters' feel of the college game wins hands down.
And while I dislike everything about the dallas cowpokes - I hate the clown college, tinercee and dwags with every fiber of my being.
I guess I'm more emotionally invested in college ball - and I find myself needing hug therapy and alcohol after a Gator loss -
not so much after an NFL game.

MJMGator

Founding Member
Slightly amused
Lifetime Member
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
Honestly, the older I get the less interest I have in both. They're becoming more and more about $$$ and less and less about the players and the fans.

rockinchair

Dec 11, 2015
I love the gators and watch every snap during the season. However, the NFL is what I love to watch. The game itself has so much more depth compared to the watered down trash seen in college football nowadays. This especially applies to the offensive side of the ball.

Very good points.

NFL players are the best in the world at what they do.

The precision and skill with which they play the game and at the speed and physicality at which they play it is remarkable to. As it does with all professional sports.

I always catch hell for it, but it's the same reason I prefer the NBA to college basketball. Simply put, the players are just better.

Concrete Helmet

Hook, Line, and Sinker
Lifetime Member
Jul 29, 2014
I loved both as a kid and they consumed my weekends. Something though about the college game always stuck with me even more though. As a kid I remember plopping down on the floor in front of the living room TV and watching whatever college game was on. This was in the 1970's, and at the time I really didn't have a favorite team, I always liked Michigan, USC, OU, Texas, Penn State and UF. Always hated OSU, ND, UCLA, UGA and Bama....Sunday was much the same and my favorite team was always whoever was playing the Dolphins....The older I grew though the more and more I really enjoyed watching CFB. At this point in my life I really don't watch much NFL unless I'm trapped inside for the day or the playoffs are going on. It just doesn't do it for me like college ball.

CGgater

Gainesville Native
Lifetime Member
Jul 30, 2014
Lots of good points already. Throw in the fact that a 2 TD lead doesn't mean much if there's more than 2 minutes left in the game.

I echo the "invested" comment. I grew up one mile north of Florida Field (just as BHG and the Swamp became official monikers). If I couldn't go with my dad to the game, I could hear the roar of the crowd from my front yard when UF scored.

Concrete Helmet

Hook, Line, and Sinker
Lifetime Member
Jul 29, 2014
Damned right,.... the other thing was it used to be when you watched college games you would hear the bands blaring fight songs and the camera would always show a lot of the spectacle that goes on around the stadium right before and during the games. Some of todays broadcast would do well to get back to that again.

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Until I gave up beer, reason #1 was I could sleep it off Sunday morning.

Okeechobee Joe

Lost Ball in High Grass
Lifetime Member
Oct 5, 2014
I come from a southern family. College football was king. No comparison. I did watch a lot of the old NFL and the old AFL as a kid. The old AFL before the merger -- now that was some interesting football and players.

Gator Fever

Founding Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
I like a big college game the best because crazier stuff happens in them usually. It's also nice catching the crazy upsets most weeks.

Lake Gator

SUBMARINERS GO DEEPER
Lifetime Member
Feb 13, 2016
I come from a southern family. College football was king. No comparison. I did watch a lot of the old NFL and the old AFL as a kid. The old AFL before the merger -- now that was some interesting football and players.

The old AFL...fun football. Buffalo Bills, Boston Patriots, New York Titans (Jets) and Houston Oilers comprised the East Division. The West included the Dallas Texans (KC Chiefs), Denver Broncos, Oakland Raiders and Los Angeles Chargers. The old NFL looked down their scarred noses at the AFL until Joe Namath and the Jets shocked the world beating the Baltimore Colts - a team generally considered as one of the best of all time.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Birthdays

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    TheFoodGator