Comparing Ourselves to Bama

Yankeetown

Gator MBA '84
Lifetime Member
Sep 6, 2014
But most 'experts" say LSU is the only team that has as much talent as Bama. Strange

They do put almost as many in the NFL it seems. I wonder if their recruiting just dropped off the last 2 years or so maybe.

http://www.ncaa.com/news/football/article/2016-09-07/college-football-schools-most-players-nfl

According to the link above we are tied for 3rd with active NFL players with Bama right now and LSU is # 1. I know some of them are prior to Muschamp being at UF but what does that say about him as a coach? lol

The dominance of Alabama in the count of 5-stars, vs the number of NFL players, strongly suggests an Alabama halo effect is affecting the player ratings done by the various rating services. In other words, (according to this theory/interpretation), kids who commit to Alabama tend to get a bump in their ratings. The film or notes etc on each player that talent rankers at Scout and the other services use doesn't necessarily change, but the Saban endorsement influences how "the data" is re-interpreted.

(That's IF the talent-ranker actually goes back and does a re-evaluation. I suspect 90% of all the ratings of high school players are based on a collection and weighting of Other People's Opinions, many of which themselves are primarily based on a collection and weighting of Other People's Opinions. We're all subject to this bias. We have a different opinion of a kid's talent and potential, without ever having seen him play, if we know he's being recruited by Urban at OSU vs FIU.)

I don't doubt at all that Alabama is getting the best talent, but there are systematic biases in the rating systems that overstate their advantage in that area. (But I also think Saban does an excellent job of coaching 'em up, and getting them prepared. I don't like him, but he IS awful good at what he does.)

ATXGator

Founding Member
Austin Gator
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
Georgia signed the #1 QB and the #1 TE last year.

Remember when we signed the #1 QB? His name was Jeff Driskel...

I think Eason is going to be pretty good though... we just got the top guy in a bad year.

Alagator

Founding Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Georgia signed the #1 QB and the #1 TE last year.

So what!?! We've signed the #1 QB and TE's in recent years... and neither one of them even finished their careers at UF.

Last year, we signed the #2 wide receiver, #1 Juco RB (a disappointment thus far), #1 kicker, and #1 running back out of the state of Alabama (who looks to have Emmitt-like potential)... and all we do is complain about how horrible recruiting is...

ATXGator

Founding Member
Austin Gator
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
So what!?! We've signed the #1 QB and TE's in recent years... and neither one of them even finished their careers at UF.

Last year, we signed the #2 wide receiver, #1 Juco RB (a disappointment thus far), #1 kicker, and #1 running back out of the state of Alabama (who looks to have Emmitt-like potential)... and all we do is complain about how horrible recruiting is...

The year before we signed the #1 OL

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014
Alabama just got a commitment from a 3-star TE from Texas. True story.

Captain Sasquatch

Founding Member
Mr. SQ, the Sashole
BANNED
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
So is this thread here to point out that Bama is not only better than us, but better than the rest of the SEC? That's groundbreaking stuff right there. I guess we heard it here first.

FireFoley

Lifetime Member
Nov 19, 2014
Comparing ourselves to Bama. Is that even worth the effort?

Well said. I agree with you. But just to add one more layer, if you traded head coaches and kept the rosters the exact same, do you think there would be a difference? I think the difference would be huge and very noticeable in regards to quality of play. That is why I think the recruiting rankings and stars play less of a role in success than does the coaching.

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
image.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Birthdays

Staff online

Forum statistics