Concert Comments - Did you see them live? Get the shirt?

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by TLB, Apr 6, 2018.

1. g8r.tom

g8r.tom Well-Known Member
    Lifetime Member

Oxbucks:
    $1,246
    Ratings:
    +1,331 / -22
    I took the kids and family to see them in Ocala a few years ago. The crowd wasn't large and we were able to get right in front of the stage. I could have touched Shaw. Great show.

• Detroitgator

Detroitgator General Factotum
      Lifetime Member

Oxbucks:
      $3,595
      Ratings:
      +10,177 / -32
      I’m a GFR fan... was really lucky to see them at a legendary small venue in Detroit (the original Harpo’s) in I think 1982 when they were back together for a bit with Farner.

78 Dazed and Confused
        Lifetime Member

Oxbucks:
        $8,418
        Ratings:
        +14,387 / -469
        Their early stuff was really good, a fusion of a lot of different sounds. I lost interest when they went commercial with We're An American Band.

Farner had tremendous vocal range. I think the drummer died, didn't he?

• Detroitgator

Lifetime Member

Oxbucks:
        $3,595
        Ratings:
        +10,177 / -32
        No, Brewer is still alive. I like American Band... it’s when Todd Rundgren was producing them. Other tidbits: they tried to get Frampton to join just before the commercial phase and Zappa produced them after Rundgren.

I actually like The Guess Who/BTO a lot better and have always put them in the same music memory category with GFR. Growing up in Detroit in the 70’s, we probably heard a lot more GFR and TGW/BTO on the radio than most places.

78 Dazed and Confused
          Lifetime Member

Oxbucks:
          $8,418
          Ratings:
          +14,387 / -469
          Add Bob Seger and the Silver Bullet Band to the list.

• Detroitgator

Lifetime Member

Oxbucks:
            $3,595
            Ratings:
            +10,177 / -32
            Seen him many times

• Theologator

Theologator Enchanter

Oxbucks:
            $2,705
            Ratings:
            +3,424 / -24
            Saw REO in the 70’s & Styx in the mid-80’s - Mr. Roboto tour - in Lakeland. Saw the Eagles & Buffett at Florida Field in 1980. Loved the Eagles, Buffett & REO was pretty good.

Hated Styx because they basically played that album as a rock opera. Dennis DeYoung was a foppish twit and ruined that group eventually. Not having him in the current lineup probably made your concert all the better.

• Theologator

Theologator Enchanter

Oxbucks:
              $2,705
              Ratings:
              +3,424 / -24
              First: Grand Funk Railroad “All the Girls in the World Beware” tour in Lakeland. I was maybe 14. I am from Lakeland, grew up 2 miles from the Lakeland Center and had a paper route (meaning $) so I want to a ton of shows.

Best: Bruce Springsteen, River Tour, 1981 Lakeland. I was at UF and went because my girlfriend from NY liked him. Changed my life. Amazing 4-hour show, best live performance I’ve ever seen. And I saw him two other times. Runners up, Tom Petty’s first show at the O-Dome w/ Stevie Nicks and U2 How to Dismantle an Atomic Bomb Tour in Tampa.

One I hate that I missed: Lynyrd Skynyrd in Lakeland, October 1978. It was their 2nd to last show before the crash. I was actually in school in New Hampshire at the time. Also turned down a chance to see Stevie Ray Vaughn in Orlando a year or so before he died.

OR - Missing U2 at the Rathskeller and/or the Police at Lake Alice Field just before either became huge.

• crosscreekcooter

crosscreekcooter Cunning Linguist
                Lifetime Member

Oxbucks:
                $558
                Ratings:
                +6,428 / -11
                Foppish Twit :lol2:
                Skynyrd was playing tunes off the yet to be released Street Survivors album on that tour. The addition of guitarist songwriter Steve Gaines really put them at their zenith.

• TLB

TLB Just chillin'
                  Lifetime Member

Oxbucks:
                  $2,179
                  Ratings:
                  +4,703 / -52
                  [​IMG]

TL;DR Background:
                  In my natural dick way of doing things..I was a dick about it. Kids have been listening to Imagine Dragons on the local radio for months and love/know all the songs. Their favorite band ever, dad, c'mon! Even the wife likes their stuff. For me, it's ok, but it's overplayed. Then we found out they were going to play locally at Hershey Stadium, and some of their friends (moms are friends with my wife as well) were wanting to go also. We got tickets for our family of 4 + 2 friends, but didn't tell our kids (<< Engage Dick Dad Mode). We worked with the friends to keep it a secret and built up to the week of the concert by telling our kids that we were busy the day of the concert but had to look after the friends for the weekend.

Day of the concert, we informed our kids that one of the friends needed to be dropped off at a barn party (she rides horses) in Hershey, so we're all loaded in the van driving through heavy traffic, playing dumb. We get into the lanes for parking for the stadium and the wife and I are like "all these people can't be going to a barn party, what the heck". My son figures out TODAY is the day of the concert and that's why all these people are here. We explain we thought it was during the day when we were busy, and my daughter looks it up and says "No, it starts at 7PM" (currently 6PM). They both are getting pissed off, so my wife can't resist provoking them further (usually, she isn't in on these surprises and I'm pulling them on her). We explain "They've been sold out for weeks. Only way to get tix was to win some on the radio." We then point out to my daughter that she just got a new iPhone, if it was so important why didn't she try to win any? Wife asks son on a scale of 1-10 how important is this show to him? He answers "100!!". We park, and say we'll walk the friend to the pick-up area for the barn party so she doesn't get lost.

The kids are getting nasty about the wife's insistent dumbassery on no concert tickets. So, I ask my son "What would you trade for tickets if it is so important to you? Your basketball hoop or your pokemon cards or something?" His reply, "My mom." (He is SUCH a mama's boy, so this was notable). We even walk all the way to the stadium gates and I hand out the printed e-tickets to each person and ask my kids to read what it says, at which point my son is so upset he can't read anything. He's livid we'd not only drive to the stadium where the concert is, but make him walk through the crowds of concert goers and NOT let him go...So I start asking him "what does it say on the paper? Look, what row and seat are you in?" "What, we don't have to leave? We're going in?" He starts crying. Not tears of happiness, but because a) he has been tortured to this point, and b) because he HATES surprises. Yay! Lead balloon for mom & dad.

The Concert:
                  Opening act was some 13yr old who was on America's Got Talent. She's got a great voice for her half hour set, but honestly, other than a 70's cover song I didn't know any of her stuff. Tbh, she was so small, that even on the big screens on either side of the stage we still couldn't see her behind a lot of her stage props. She seemed really appreciative of Im Dr for bringing her on tour, and got the crowd warmed up nicely.

With her opening at 7PM, and the stadium being outdoors (we were on the west side by luck, out of the last few hours of sun) it was a nice few hours of sunset skies to go with the music. Breezy mid-80's, seats around the 50yd line and maybe row 45 out of 70 up the stadium. LOTS of families present, we saw many grade school age kids we either knew or at least recognized. Show was done by around 10:30-11:00PM, so not too late.

Imagine Dragons came out, opened with Radio Active as that was the first real hit that got them known awhile back. Set was maybe 20-22 songs in length with a stretch of about 8 in the middle that must have been off earlier albums because we didn't know them. Band hit the major hits on the current album, of course, and everyone had a great time throughout the stadium. There were two points where the lead singer paused to talk to the audience, one to thank them and show great appreciation for the support and to express how much the band doesn't take this for granted and still are amazed at the love they get and want to share back to everyone. The second pause was during the intro to 'Demons' where he expressed his own bouts with depression and time with a therapist, that it doesn't make one weak but makes you human - you aren't alone, talk to family-friends-anyone and get stronger, you aren't broken and you aren't alone. Overall a very positive message encouraging love and support for one another. The last 8-10 songs were all very strong, and they band came down off the stage to perform on a mini-centerstage in the middle of the fans for 3 songs. Really classy, making it intimate and personal. Very well done. They returned to the main stage for the final 2 songs of 'Believer' and closing with 'Thunder'. The entire stadium was rocking and singing along, with fireworks going off for the finale.

Overall very recommended, even for a casual fan. Not preachy in any way, but very, very family safe environment. People of all ages had a great time. It was the first concert for both our kids, and the one friend 'going to a barn party'. The friend, in fact, is now arranging travel to Virginia to see them again. 8.5/10 for the concert, and no, no boobs seen or harmed (until I got the wife home later).

#30 TLB, Jun 20, 2018
                  Last edited: Jun 20, 2018
                  • Windy City Gator

Windy City Gator Well-Known Member

Oxbucks:
                    $924
                    Ratings:
                    +1,004 / -219
                    First concert was Bob Seger and Molly Hatchet at the old Miami Baseball Stadium. It was the Against the Wind tour, Easter Sunday 1980 or 81.

Best 10 ish concerts with my personal highlight:

The two Pink Floyd shows at the Old Sombrero 87 and 94-One of these Days from Meddle
                    Gilmour solo at the United Center 2016. -Shine on your Crazy Diamond or High Hopes
                    CSNY-Ice Palace 2000 or 2001. -Down by the River where Neil and Stills traded licks. Neil broke a few guitar strings
                    Petty last year at Wrigley-You dont know how it feels
                    Eagles last tour with Glenn Frey-Those Shoes
                    Santana and the Stones at the Citrus Bowl
                    Kinks at the Odome 1985-I wish I could fly like Superman
                    Neil at the Chicago Theatre-all acoustic and all solo.Harvest Moon
                    Pearl Jam multiple times at Wrigley-Keep on Rockin in the Free world at 2 am

Honorable mentions are Rare Earth, Buffett, Ac/Dc, The Firm.

• GatorBart

GatorBart :bandit:
                      Lifetime Member

Oxbucks:
                      $1,316
                      Ratings:
                      +5,791 / -24
                      First: 1982-The Police with Joan Jett in Champaign, IL (Ghost in the Machine tour)
                      Best: 1982-The Clash at The Aragon in Chicago (Combat Rock tour)
                      The rest of the best:
                      The Dead in Tampa the year Jerry died.
                      Rusted Root in Seattle-1999
                      Medeski Martin & Wood in Seattle-2005

• Detroitgator

Lifetime Member

Oxbucks:
                        $3,595
                        Ratings:
                        +10,177 / -32
                        Great list

• TheDouglas78

TheDouglas78 Well-Known Member

Oxbucks:
                        $2,382
                        Ratings:
                        +5,581 / -85
                        So far this year:

Alice Cooper at Ruth Eckerd Hall:
                        Small venue theatrical show. My 5th time seeing him, wife's 15th. 2 hour show all Alice. No Boobs.

Foo Fighters at MidFlorida Amp:
                        Opening act some odd British Band, not that great.
                        Foo Fighters played from a little after 8 to 11... great show. Some boobs in the stands.

Justin Timberlake at St Pete Times Forum:
                        Opening band some young kids that were decent, but nothing special
                        Justin Timberlake, I'm not a Timberlake fan and I knew maybe 4 songs going into the concert. Wife and her two friends who joined us love his catalog, among other things. The concert was better than expected.

What is still on the schedule:
                        Smashing Pumpkins at St Pete Times Forum
                        The Cult, Bush, and Stone Temple Pilots at the MidFlorida Amp
                        Imagine Dragons at the MidFlorida Amp

78 Dazed and Confused
                          Lifetime Member

Oxbucks:
                          $8,418
                          Ratings:
                          +14,387 / -469
                          Aragon Ball Room. Wow, is it still being used? Saw Jefferson Starship there in '74.

• MJMGator

MJMGator Slightly amused
                          Lifetime Member

Oxbucks:
                          $5,226
                          Ratings:
                          +16,683 / -203
                          That same Police tour was my first concert...in Jax. :lol:

• Detroitgator

Lifetime Member

Oxbucks:
                            $3,595
                            Ratings:
                            +10,177 / -32
                            Saw it at Cobo with the Go-Go's opening. Saw them again a few months later in Ann Arbor and Joan Jett opened for them. For some reason, I remember them coming to Detroit like 4 times in 82-83 and Joan Jett opened for them at least three of those time. The Ghost in the Machine tour at Cobo I think was the last concert I saw at Cobo.

OK, not the last concert I saw at Cobo Hall... I saw the Diary of a Madman concert ONE WEEK after the Police concert... I was 15, parents thought I was spending the night at friend's house... friend's older brother would take us to everything. It was about a month before Randy Rhoads died.

#37 Detroitgator, Jun 20, 2018
                            Last edited: Jun 20, 2018
                            • Detroitgator

Lifetime Member

Oxbucks:
                              $3,595
                              Ratings:
                              +10,177 / -32
                              Best place to see a band in Detroit is still the basement of St Andrews Hall

• Windy City Gator

Windy City Gator Well-Known Member

Oxbucks:
                              $924
                              Ratings:
                              +1,004 / -219
                              Yes, the Aragon is still open. We hold our holiday party there every year...but I work with a bunch of Millenials and they always have hip hop. It is kind of a ****hole. But it is still there. I live about three blocks from there. Sting is playing there in the fall. Green Day did a show there last year.

78 Dazed and Confused
                                Lifetime Member

Oxbucks:
                                $8,418
                                Ratings:
                                +14,387 / -469
                                I saw GFR in '70 in what seemed like the basement of the old International Ampitheatre. I think it was an exhibit area. Extremely low ceiling and every other attendee had a joint or bowl going. The air was thick with smoke. Great show.