Confidence

Theologator

Enchanter
Lifetime Member
Aug 11, 2015
While this article has a bad headline (Muschamp isn't mentioned in the article) the confidence issue seems to be real. It has been apparent on the field for years. A friend noted that mistakes on defense led to coaching up & trying again. Mistakes on offense led to scorn and/or banishment.
http://florida.247sports.com/Bolt/M...ng-to-overcome-scars-of-Muschamp-era-38743530

I sorely miss the confident swagger on offense. Jack Jackson, Ike & Reidel, Quezzie, Murph, the list goes on and on...

If I were trying to restore that attacking edge in the offense in general and the WR corps in particular, I think I'd show them their personal highlight reels from high school along with positive plays from Gator games and practices. Confidence makes a huge difference.

And a lot of that can flow from the QB.

TN G8tr

Founding Member
The "Original" TN G8tr
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
Great read, thanks Theo!

Mac has a real tough job to rebuild the confidence of this team. Its pretty evident just how bad the firey attitude of WM hurt rather than help this team. Glad to see Mac call it for what it is. I'm just so glad that Mentality is GONE and its Malzahn's problem to deal with now. These guys (on offense) need some success early in the season. But I think Mac will bring them along slowly and build the confidence. One thing for sure, he knows what the problem is and that it was WM can kill the confidence of a player.

deuce

Founding Member
"Cry 'Havoc!', and let slip the dogs of war."
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Confidence is gained on the field, I'm looking forward to the Gators getting that swagger back.

:chomp:

MJMGator

Founding Member
Slightly amused
Lifetime Member
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
WM's mantra was "the beatings will continue until morale improves".

CaribGator

Founding Member
Snappy for Nappy
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Theologator;n261257 said:
And a lot of that can flow from the QB.

And it was obvious the team got picked up when the dawg finally pulled JD in TN. The team knew the obvious that they had a QB who was a great runner but not so much as a QB.

rogdochar

Founding Member
RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
MJMGator;n261270 said:
WM's mantra was "the beatings will continue until morale improves".

A teacher sends a letter home to the Mom that she met & liked a parent-teacher night :

Dear Mrs. Nice,
Johnny has changed. He no longer raises his hand in class participation studies. He sits with an odd
stare in his eyes. In his homework, he no longer cares to take his answers to the correct conclusions.
He actually misses the points he used to grasp so very precisely -- those answers he once gave that
made him an A student. He has abandoned his zest for companionships…. Mrs. Nice, has something
changed in Johnny's home life ?

Dear Mrs Teacher (observer-once fan of Johnny) :
Johnny has a new Stepfather who uses a fierce temper to get Johnny to do tasks Johnny had always
learned to take for granted.

Dec 10, 2014
I think sometimes we overlook the value of the team having fun. These guys haven't had fun since '08. I think Mac will get these guys to have fun again, which will inspire confidence and an increase in production.

I have a really, really good feeling about Mac. I see a lot of what's right with being successful in him off the bat. I was never 100% sold on Muschamp. I thought he had potential to be great, but he wasn't great. I was 100% sold on Meyer. I won't say that I feel the same way about Mac as I do Meyer. There's not enough body of work. But I will say that I think Mac is not far from how I felt when Meyer was hired. Mac is the most relatable coach I think we've had since Spurrier. He's sincere yet charming and down to earth. I think players and parents will love that.

One thing that Coach Mac will prove down the road is he is going to understand the fans. He is going to understand that uga needs to be beaten at least 2/3 of the time. fsu even more. He's coming into the sec at the right time. Miles and Saban are winding down in the west. Spurrier is winding down in the east. Richt has gone as far as he's going to go. Mac has a chance to establish himself and the Gators as the premiere program. That's why a win against ut will really take the wind out of butch jones' sails who is desperately trying to do the same thing. We always root against tincercee. Root against them twice as hard this year.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Beating Bytch Jones this year may get him fired in November. If not, he's in ICU until next fall when we kill him. I agree with all the rest.

Dec 10, 2014
Law98gator;n261309 said:
Beating Bytch Jones this year may get him fired in November. If not, he's in ICU until next fall when we kill him. I agree with all the rest.

They wouldn't fire Butch Jones this year minus an appalling losing record and some sort of scandal. They can't afford to fire him frankly, and he's been recruiting lights out. If we beat him this year, when he's favored and possibly ranked, it will be a dagger. Winning next year (as you said) will be the final blow of that dagger. They would likely fire him then.

I will be watching that Oklahoma/ut game with baited breath. I hope Oklahoma can shatter some confidence.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
I dunno. Four in a row including three to Chimp? Maybe you are right. I hope you are right.

Dec 10, 2014
Law98gator;n261315 said:
I dunno. Four in a row including three to Chimp? Maybe you are right. I hope you are right.

To your point, if he loses this year the admin will start looking at that 10-9 loss with new scrutiny and hatred.

MJMGator

Founding Member
Slightly amused
Lifetime Member
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
I'm thinking UT has joined UK in the CBF...Can't Beat Florida.

jmskjrgator

Lifetime Member
Sep 9, 2014
PatDooleySucks;261302 said:
I think sometimes we overlook the value of the team having fun. These guys haven't had fun since '08. I think Mac will get these guys to have fun again, which will inspire confidence and an increase in production.

I have a really, really good feeling about Mac. I see a lot of what's right with being successful in him off the bat. I was never 100% sold on Muschamp. I thought he had potential to be great, but he wasn't great. I was 100% sold on Meyer. I won't say that I feel the same way about Mac as I do Meyer. There's not enough body of work. But I will say that I think Mac is not far from how I felt when Meyer was hired. Mac is the most relatable coach I think we've had since Spurrier. He's sincere yet charming and down to earth. I think players and parents will love that.

One thing that Coach Mac will prove down the road is he is going to understand the fans. He is going to understand that uga needs to be beaten at least 2/3 of the time. fsu even more. He's coming into the sec at the right time. Miles and Saban are winding down in the west. Spurrier is winding down in the east. Richt has gone as far as he's going to go. Mac has a chance to establish himself and the Gators as the premiere program. That's why a win against ut will really take the wind out of butch jones' sails who is desperately trying to do the same thing. We always root against tincercee. Root against them twice as hard this year.

Well written PDS.

I feel the same about Coach Mac. He is very likable. The mothers
of recruits will like him like they liked Bobby Bowden. He is the
exact opposite of Muscramp. He brings excitement. Watch the
players reaction after we score the first couple of touchdowns.
It won't be long before the players have confidence. The players
will love him. I feel badly for what Muscramp put them through.

I played a round of golf with Charlie Pell when he first came here.
He was very likable. Coach Mac reminds me of him a lot.
Remember the custodians were cleaning the toilets better after
Pell came. Coach Mac can have the same effect.

I am as excited with his hire as I was with Meyers. That says
a lot.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Ray Finkle

Fallen Mod
Lifetime Member
Jul 28, 2014
Muschamp shattered a lot of poster confidence as well. Anyone that proves Law right isn't good for poster morale.

TN G8tr

Founding Member
The "Original" TN G8tr
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
PatDooleySucks;n261312 said:
They wouldn't fire Butch Jones this year minus an appalling losing record and some sort of scandal. They can't afford to fire him frankly, and he's been recruiting lights out. If we beat him this year, when he's favored and possibly ranked, it will be a dagger. Winning next year (as you said) will be the final blow of that dagger. They would likely fire him then.

I will be watching that Oklahoma/ut game with baited breath. I hope Oklahoma can shatter some confidence.
Good point PDS. But word is here a loss to OU and things all hinge on UF. A loss in G'ville the roaster will be fired up. There is way toooooooo much hype right now with UT. It is a make or break type of year for UT whether they want to face it or not.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Ray Finkle;n261411 said:
Muschamp shattered a lot of poster confidence as well. Anyone that proves Law right isn't good for poster morale.

:sadnanner:

HogtownGator

It's Great to be a CCW
Aug 8, 2014
PatDooleySucks;n261302 said:
I have a really, really good feeling about Mac. I see a lot of what's right with being successful in him off the bat. I was never 100% sold on Muschamp.

I agree with this thinking about Mac. Funny thing, I was living kind of off the grid and out of state when WM was hired so I didn't hear much about him, didn't have internet at home. Then a friend sent me the poster for WM's first season and I nearly fell over seeing his dumb "fierce" mug. I had a keen feeling we were doomed the minute I saw the stupid look on his face.

LagoonGator68

Founding Member
mostly peaceful protester
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
HogtownGator;n261486 said:
I agree with this thinking about Mac. Funny thing, I was living kind of off the grid and out of state when WM was hired so I didn't hear much about him, didn't have internet at home. Then a friend sent me the poster for WM's first season and I nearly fell over seeing his dumb "fierce" mug. I had a keen feeling we were doomed the minute I saw the stupid look on his face.

San Quentin?

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.