Copeland or Toney, if he's ready

gatorev12

Lifetime Member
Aug 17, 2018
I doubt Grimes leaves this year. Another year would really help his draft stock, I think.

Not only that, but this year is absolutely stacked with WRs who are for-sure first-rounders: Bama's Jr. trio, LSU's Sr., Lamb for Oklahoma, the Colorado guy, etc. When guys like Collin Johnson from Texas and Higgens from Clemson are likely looking at the 2nd round...there's just not much point in declaring early when faced with that competition.

t-gator

Founding Member
too sexy for my shirt
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
He's on pace for 500 yards and 4 touchdowns right now. There could be alot more footballs for him next year. No way he leaves early.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
I doubt Grimes leaves this year. Another year would really help his draft stock, I think.
I dont know. Mullinz receivers never have great stats. Next year isnt neccesarily better for him, especailly of Trash leaves. He is huge, strong and fast enough. He is going to be all the rage at the combine. NFL loves measurables.

He is one of my favorite Gators, just love the kid, and I surely want him back, but Im not sure he does.

Last edited:

SeabeeGator

Lifetime Member
Jan 2, 2018
I dont know. Mullinz receivers never have great stats. Next year isnt neccesarily better for him, especaillç and he is huge, strong and fast. He is going to be all the rage at the combine.

He is one of my favorite Gators, just love the kid, and I surely want him back, but Im not sure he does.
I heard a stat the other day that reinforces your point. Something like 15 (maybe more now) Gators have scored a TD this year. Everyone’s getting in on the love but no one is generating massive stats - Trask is the primary beneficiary as you’d expect.

Egor's Assistant

SAVE CHATTER
Lifetime Member
Nov 3, 2017
What year is PItts? Please tell me he has another year?
Next year's receiver corp may actually outperform this years. They are definitely more talented across the board in terms of pure speed. Need to improve technique, route running, game study, etc.

Next year's Squad:
Toney - Sr.
Grimes - Sr.
Copeland - Jr.
Pitts - Jr.

Anyone I forget? That's some talent catching the ball.

Renard904

Voice of Reason
Lifetime Member
Oct 1, 2016
Considering they play different positions, I'd say you can play both at the same time, if desired.

I've been pleasantly surprised that Copeland actually gets used as a traditional receiver. That first game after Toney was injured Mullen tried the sideways plays with Copeland. Since then, his routes have been downfield. Toney catches the majority of his passes within 3 yards of the LOS.

TLB

Just chillin'
Lifetime Member
Jan 6, 2015
Everyone catches the majority of their passes w/i 3-4 yards in this offense.

Is this fair now that Trask is passing?

AR beat me to it. Donk, you're going to have to change this tune with Trask as QB. The majority of his throws seem to be 10-15y over the middle. We can dig up the stats to prove it, but I'll put that on you if you insist on repeating the wrong train of thought - prove it.

gatormandan

Are we back yet?
Lifetime Member
Oct 15, 2014
AR beat me to it. Donk, you're going to have to change this tune with Trask as QB. The majority of his throws seem to be 10-15y over the middle. We can dig up the stats to prove it, but I'll put that on you if you insist on repeating the wrong train of thought - prove it.

It takes the donk some time...

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Is this fair now that Trask is passing?
It isn't fair or not fair, it is reality. Go count the last game. We had four nonsideways passes at half, about the same in the second (but I didn't count).

ChiefGator

A Chief and a Gator, Master of the Ignore list!!!!
Lifetime Member
Nov 9, 2015
Both I want Toney for wildcat type of plays, that said he seems to be somewhat fragile and probably not too good of a blocker.

Renard904

Voice of Reason
Lifetime Member
Oct 1, 2016
Everyone catches the majority of their passes w/i 3-4 yards in this offense.
I think you give Mullen too much grief over this.

I actually agree that we throw a lot of screens and throw-outs. But I see most teams doing it nowadays. You'll see an initiated box score, go watch the game tape and see the QB with 2 WR and a couple tailback screens totaling 200 yds and 2 TDs.

These inflated passing numbers we're seeing across college football are directly correlated to the sideways pass. And it's here to stay.

ThreatMatrix

Lifetime Member
Aug 28, 2014
The same. I've never counted but the offense is the offense.
Why do you make me do this? I like you I really do.
LSU game I don't think there were any LOS passes. I'll have to check my notes.
Ist half of USC. Pass attempts.
0-5 yards 3 passes
5-9 yards 7 passes
10-20 yards 4 passes
20+ yards 1 pass
Definitely a different game plan than LSU. Lots of the 5-9 yard passes designed just to get 1st down.
2nd half opened up more once Trask settled down.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Birthdays

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    TheFoodGator