Cowbell booster’s take on our staff

Nomadigator

Veni vidi facepalmi
Lifetime Member
Aug 29, 2018
So I have an acquaintance with some deep ties to the cowbell program, and has had a fair amount of access to Stricklin, Mullen and a few others through the years. My friend is very objective, and I found some of his info interesting. Some may be MOM for sure, but it verifies what we see and maybe provides insight into that we don’t. Here are his takes:

Stricklin- married into cowbell booster royalty. Don’t be surprised if he doesn’t stay around long. Views UF is a stepping stone. Always looking for a better situation and has eyes on a position in the SEC office, namely commish. Won’t happen as he is too much of a worker ant. Not as chummy with Mullen as you might think.

Mullen- extremely detail oriented to the point it costs him games, as well as internal negotiations. Huge work ethic. Made as many enemies as friends in Starkville, and seat got a touch warm on occasion, but never hot, oddly due to booster and brass relationships and not as much over record. Recruiting might not have ever been stellar, but Bama at their doorstep and Ol Piss blatantly paying recruits early in his tenure didn’t help. Friend claimed Cowbell doesn’t have the wealthy alumni resources (bag men) others have, and I believe him on this. Thought he had Cam Newton locked up, and if his Dad hadn’t auctioned him off probably would have. Mullen’s career would likely look a lot different if he had. Doesn’t believe Mullen will ever embarrass UF in scandal, which is a good thing I guess.

Hevesy- Great coach but extremely crude, even for a oline coach. Cowbell brass had to tell him to tone it down constantly. Was total Gunny Ermey on the sidelines and around town. Can be condescending toward recruits and HS coaches, so recruiting suffers. Doesn’t have the DNA to tell you what you want to hear. Extremely demanding coach the players respect but don’t always like. Has no aspiration to move to the next level as a HC.

Gonzales- Mullen’s in-game go to for picking apart a defense, his strongest suit. Does have aspirations to move up. The kind of guy that may take way too much credit. Not well-liked in Starkville due to attitude. Fairly lazy recruiter known to be playing golf while others hit the trail. Might not hang around if another OC or mid tier HC job comes calling.

Grantham- oddly, in several conversations came across as a quiet family man who really embraced and was embraced by Starkville. Only on the field did he become a raging lunatic. Well accepted in the HS circles, and good doing in-home visits. Recruits want to play an aggressive style so it gets him in some doors. Might move on if the situation is right. Only DC Mullen ever repeatedly praised.

Friend and I are down to have lunch in a few weeks. If anything else comes up I will add as I hear it.

Highly enjoyable, insightful read, particularly during SillySeason! Well scribed, sir!
0027E147-610E-4225-808E-1E58C782C96C.gif

Detroitgator

Lifetime Member
Jul 15, 2014
Highly enjoyable, insightful read, particularly during SillySeason! Well scribed, sir!
How often are you in Kyiv?

Nomadigator

Veni vidi facepalmi
Lifetime Member
Aug 29, 2018
How often are you in Kyiv?
Ohhhh, a dozen+ times in last 7 years across all of the seasons. Last time December. Sojourned all of Ukraine, Kharkov, Odessa, Dnipro, Lviv and other various smaller cities. Even made it to Donetsk before the Rooskie shyte storm. Love it there, so beautiful. Particularly the HUGE unbelievably tall sunflower fields in the south in full bloom. People very friendly. I speak enough Russian to get by and never had a problem anywhere. Except for the brutal winter. FL Cracker boy don't do extreme cold too swooftly. Thanks for asking. And you?

Last edited:

Detroitgator

Lifetime Member
Jul 15, 2014
Ohhhh, a dozen+ times in last 7 years across all of the seasons. Last time December. Sojourned all of Ukraine, Kharkov, Odessa, Dnipro, Lviv and other various smaller cities. Even made it to Donetsk before the Rooskie shyte storm. Love it there, so beautiful. Particularly the HUGE unbelievably tall sunflower fields in the south in full bloom. People very friendly. I speak enough Russian to get by and never had a problem anywhere. Except for the brutal winter. FL Cracker boy don't do extreme cold too swooftly. Thanks for asking. And you?
I have two businesses there and have used suppliers there for 15 years.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Birthdays

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    TheFoodGator