Crazy Larry Bird clip

Durty South Swamp

Founding Member
doodley doodley doo!
Lifetime Member
Jun 19, 2014
Founding Member
my dad played against bird in highschool basketball. dad played for corydon, bird played for french lick. dad said he was a 1 man team and could have taken on 2 teams by himself and still won.

Detroitgator

Lifetime Member
Jul 15, 2014
my dad played against bird in highschool basketball. dad played for corydon, bird played for french lick. dad said he was a 1 man team and could have taken on 2 teams by himself and still won.
Your dad's story and what I'm going to post pretty much belong in the "things kids today will never know" because HS sports has changed so much now with allowing kids to transfer to any school in the district (and even across districts) and thus creating crazy collections of power house teams with more than one crazy good talent kid on them. But here's my "Bird vs Durty Dad" type stories from the 80's.

Got to see three eventual pro-basketball players in person in the 80's when they were in HS. This is in order of "least" to "most" impressive at that time. And while I'm sure it is still kind of/a bit the same, back then, when you witnessed a "pro" level HS player (let alone Bird himself), it was absolutely crazy/nuts to watch:
  1. Shaq: he was a freshman at Fulda HS in Germany before his dad PCS'd to Ft Hood. He was really good/dominating even then, but it was more a size thing at that point than being a fully developed bball player.
  2. BJ Armstrong: He played for Birmingham Brother Rice (one of the two dominating/power Catcholic HS's in the Detroit area). Stupid good and amazing to watch.
  3. Antoine Joubert: played for Detroit Southwestern, most will have never heard of him unless you remember the Michigan team with Roy Tarpley and Gary Grant. He was drafted by the Pistons, but never played NBA, all CBA and overseas. But in HS, this guy was UNREAL to watch. He was a one man team, and at the time, the only player in Michigan HS history other than Magic to score 2000 points. I mean jaw dropping to watch, like there might as well not been anyone else on the floor, they were just traffic cones.

Gatordiddy

Member in good standing
Lifetime Member
Jul 23, 2014
I barely know some of these names you and @Detroitgator are throwing out, so I’m can only assume your ages and I’d love to sit down with you guys and pick your brains. Like where were you when McKinley was shot?

Well, I was working that ‘Guess your age and weight’ kiosk at the Buffalo Pan-American Exposition when a deranged anarchist shot him twice. I adjusted the onion on my belt and made a beeline over to that area and yelled “someone call Buffalo-911!”
All those memories of twenty years earlier when Garfield was shot came rushing back.
Sad day.
I made sure that I hugged all twelve of my kids that night when they got home from their factory jobs.

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014
Well, I was working that ‘Guess your age and weight’ kiosk at the Buffalo Pan-American Exposition when a deranged anarchist shot him twice. I adjusted the onion on my belt and made a beeline over to that area and yelled “someone call Buffalo-911!”
All those memories of twenty years earlier when Garfield was shot came rushing back.
Sad day.
I made sure that I hugged all twelve of my kids that night when they got home from their factory jobs.

You didn’t immediately login to your E*Trade account and adjust, knowing what Teddy would mean for your JPM and other shares?

Detroitgator

Lifetime Member
Jul 15, 2014
Sad day.
And only the oldest gets to go to college, preferably Notre Dame, and his name ain't Rudy.

AuggieDosta

I Don't Re Member
Lifetime Member
Aug 1, 2018
Sad day.
The term, "don't throw the baby out with the bathwater" comes from Diddy's house, on bath night, when they were raising these kids.
The wife would draw the bath and the father gets the first turn, then the mother, and then all the children starting with the oldest and going down by age. So once the youngest got their turn, the water was so dirty that it was possible to throw out the baby with the bathwater.

Kudos to ya man.

Gatordiddy

Member in good standing
Lifetime Member
Jul 23, 2014
And only the oldest gets to go to college, preferably Notre Dame, and his name ain't Rudy.

Very true... and for the rest of them?

MontyPythonsTheMeaningOfLife-YWKYJWeT-subtitled.jpg

secgator

Lifetime Member
Aug 18, 2018
Timing of this thread is only a couple of days after this video popped up on one of my feeds. I don't recall this at the time, but it's a good insight to the Magic/Bird relationship.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
And some dude named LeBrun is supposedly better than him. Laughable.
Hilarious. Bird, Magic, and MJ are all head and shoulders better in almost every area. Could you imagine Leflop playing against those guys actually guarding him? The pouting would be out of control.

Bird and MJ were basically unstoppable and the best defensive players in the league. Magic and Bird were incredible passers. Magic could play PG.... and center, and beat your guys at all five positions.

Just the incredible defense all these play makes them twice the player. And seemed to always peak in the playoffs rather than limp and flop like Lecrybaby.

Last edited:

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
I love the clip of him throwing the ball at Laimbeer. While the video is about Bird, that clip was really about Laimbeer. I bet he could’ve inspired Mother Theresa to throw a ball at him like that.
Pistons could have been a Hells Angels chapter.

Spectator

Jan 15, 2021
I saw Bird once in person. March 16, 1990. Parish was out w/ injury. Orlando Magic were first season new, and surprised all by leading the whole game, until Bird took over in the 4th qtr. He scored 46 pts., 27 in the 4th qtr. 10 assists, 8 rebounds, 1 steal, 0 turnovers. Final score was 130-127 Celtics, no overtime. He was the best I ever saw until a few years later a high school kid named Vince Carter jumped so high he almost went into orbit.

Detroitgator

Lifetime Member
Jul 15, 2014
I saw Bird once in person. March 16, 1990. Parish was out w/ injury. Orlando Magic were first season new, and surprised all by leading the whole game, until Bird took over in the 4th qtr. He scored 46 pts., 27 in the 4th qtr. 10 assists, 8 rebounds, 1 steal, 0 turnovers. Final score was 130-127 Celtics, no overtime. He was the best I ever saw until a few years later a high school kid named Vince Carter jumped so high he almost went into orbit.
Useless Factoid #2749: Vince is the son of Clarence Carter and a byproduct of... strokin

Double Gator Dad

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Think "King James" could handle the Detroit bad boys? How about the real showtime? Doubt Kareem, Magic, Rambis, Scott and Worthy would be awed by him
Mike and Scotty in their prime
Hakeem the dream
Dominique
The postman

Players back in the day were much tougher and earned their money IMO.

It would depend on how much the Chinese government was willing to pay him to play against these teams.
If the money is right, he would be able to adjust very quickly.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    TheFoodGator