DBU? Who's your guy?

gardnerwebbgator

Founding Member
Aight Then
Lifetime Member
Jun 19, 2014
Founding Member
Yep, time to dig it out again. Tony George...if for only one reason......

FWIW, one of my all-time favs was Larry Kennedy from the same time frame......

Gatorbait25

Founding Member
H.E. Pennypacker, wealthy American industrialist
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Great thread Alex.I have to give Longtooth credit on a fantastic post as well. The play lito made against the pups that year has been one of my favorites of the last two decades for Gator football. We've been very blessed over the years and my top three man coverage corners that ive enjoyed the most would be Lito, Fred Weary and Ratliff. Matter of fact I think Keiwan has the school record for interceptions in a season. All the more impressive is that was a Zook team. Not exactly the type of club that was constantly playing with the lead forcing the other team to air it out more. As far as guys that we're damn good for us that I believe get lost in history would be Todd Johnson and Bennie Alexander. Both guys were multi year starters on good football teams, and both made game changing plays for us during their time here.

MJMGator

Founding Member
Slightly amused
Lifetime Member
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
My favorites were Louis Oliver and Lawrence Wright. Both hit like friggin freight trains.

Gatorphan

Founding Member
Clown Sniper
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
I'd like to add Larry Kennedy's play in '91 to the list of great plays. His return for a TD sealed the deal against the Vols during an electric night in the Swamp.

Gatorbait25

Founding Member
H.E. Pennypacker, wealthy American industrialist
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
I'm ashamed of myself that I forgot about great gators like Teako Brown and Tony George. Great post GW.

LongTooth

Lifetime Member
Feb 4, 2015
Here's the vid of Lito's HUGE INT vs UGA. Context is everything here. We were down 17-9 and there was only about a minute left in the half. UGA was driving for a TD that would have put us in a deep hole. If that pass goes for a completion UGA is inside our ten. This play saved the season and put us on course for SOS's last SEC Championship. I was there. It was epic. I lost my mind.

Swamp Queen

Founding Member
Mrs. Sasquatch
BANNED
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Here's the vid of Lito's HUGE INT vs UGA. Context is everything here. We were down 17-9 and there was only about a minute left in the half. UGA was driving for a TD that would have put us in a deep hole. If that pass goes for a completion UGA is inside our ten. This play saved the season and put us on course for SOS's last SEC Championship. I was there. It was epic. I lost my mind.

I was there too, and I'm in the video! It was nuts!

Gatordiddy

Member in good standing
Lifetime Member
Jul 23, 2014
Ahmad Black
An afterthought in the recruiting class from Lakeland that included the Pouncey's, Rainey, and some WR (white guy, I think) that never panned out. The kid was awesome, always around the ball on running plays, sticking his nose in there, had a bunch of INTs, including a spectacular one in the OK game above.
https://www.bing.com/videos/search?...BB98C643700A58FFCD45BB98C&fsscr=0&FORM=VDFSRV

^This INT was monster for us in the NC game 'cause OK was driving the ball. Insane concentration and hand/eye coordination... Turned the tide

No one for Gilmore ..huh?
81475431-college-football-rear-view-of-auburn-frank-gettyimages.jpg

Swamp Queen

Founding Member
Mrs. Sasquatch
BANNED
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
^This INT was monster for us in the NC game 'cause OK was driving the ball. Insane concentration and hand/eye coordination... Turned the tide

No one for Gilmore ..huh?
81475431-college-football-rear-view-of-auburn-frank-gettyimages.jpg
:sadnanner:

I had the biggest crush on Michael Gilmore when I was in high school. That play killed me.

Swamp Queen

Founding Member
Mrs. Sasquatch
BANNED
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
To be fair ... he did have nice calves.
And to think... this could have been Mr. Swamp King:

https://www.panhandleortho.com/staff-DoctorGilmore.php
He's still nice looking. He needs to come to one of the continuing education meetings my company puts on!

Oh, and he married a girl from my hometown. I actually drove by the wedding party outside the church on my way home from a movie. That was also devastating at the time. :lol:

Gatordiddy

Member in good standing
Lifetime Member
Jul 23, 2014
He's still nice looking. He needs to come to one of the continuing education meetings my company puts on!

Oh, and he married a girl from my hometown. I actually drove by the wedding party outside the church on my way home from a movie. That was also devastating at the time. :lol:

Yeah but it's probably better it didn't work out ... here's an alternate ending:

Scene: Dinner party for SQ's company in central Florida with SQ's "husband" Dr. Gilmore and SQ

SQ: "Everyone... I'd like to introduce you to my husband, Michael Gilmore, you know, the guy who gave up that last minute TD to Auburn in '94 where Frank Sanders was about 12 feet in the air and Michael was... no offense honey, still planted on the terra firma"

Awkward dinner conversation ensues...

Swamp Queen

Founding Member
Mrs. Sasquatch
BANNED
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Yeah but it's probably better it didn't work out ... here's an alternate ending:

Scene: Dinner party for SQ's company in central Florida with SQ's "husband" Dr. Gilmore and SQ

SQ: "Everyone... I'd like to introduce you to my husband, Michael Gilmore, you know, the guy who gave up that last minute TD to Auburn in '94 where Frank Sanders was about 12 feet in the air and Michael was... no offense honey, still planted on the terra firma"

Awkward dinner conversation ensues...
:lol:

Yeah, probably wouldn't go over too well. We went up to the Auburn game my freshman year of college and they actually sell photos and paintings of that play in the gift stores. Or at least they did back then. Bastards.

Gatordiddy

Member in good standing
Lifetime Member
Jul 23, 2014
20 years from now would be too soon. What's wrong with you? Are you taking crazy pills?

Point taken... I'm still in shock over the dwags beating us in '85 when we were #1.
That was a long ride home and one hell of a Tanquaray hangover

Okeechobee Joe

Lost Ball in High Grass
Lifetime Member
Oct 5, 2014
Tyson_Sever.jpg

Tyson Sever from Clearwater played cornerback with a lot of class and savvy back in the early 70's. He also was a sure handed punt returner who knew how to pick up the yardage. His brother Glen also played for the Gators. The Gators of the 1970s are not remembered so much today, but they had some real attackers on defense.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.