Dementia

TLB

Just chillin'
Lifetime Member
Jan 6, 2015
@TLB just a thought but are you sure her confusion isn't from her meds?
It could happen.

Could, but not the issue here. Concussion brought her to the hospital, but the neurosurgeon diagnosed dementia based on a 20min interview and said it'd likely been going for awhile.

Gonna be a bit graphic, but yeast infections in the elderly cause dementia like symptoms.

Candida infection can reach brain and impair memory

It can, but that's not our issue. She's had two episodes of serious brainlock. One was brought on by a UTI, which is also common in elderly and triggers these type events. The other, we never got an explanation for, but those two are particularly bad spots. Day to day, she's just steadily declining on her short term memory. Long term can nail historical dates, times, people, events. Near term is a crapshoot. Bad days involve loops of the same comment-question from her every 5-10min for an hour or so before she comes out of it. Good days she's just mixing up names and facts from recent conversations or forgetting simple stuff.

We're fortunate she's been 98% upbeat and positive through everything (had Covid a few weeks back thanks to my BIL, and then gave it to my wife so they were in quarantine in the basement for roughly 18days). Sometimes it's amusing what she says and comes up with, other days it's just sad that the sharp woman we knew is gone. Interesting watch her drop a lot of her self-control and inhibitions, branching out into all kinds of foods and drink which she never would have tried before. Tho, she also insists she has lots of money and can buy all kinds of stuff for us - things we may need but aren't a priority, but extending to things we don't want or need and being persistent about it :\

Lined up for Day Camp starting next week with folks who are used to dementia patients. We'll see how that goes.

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014
My step dad (for 40+ years) either has dementia or early stages Alzheimers. My mom finally convinced him to get tested (he'll be 77 in June). I'm buying their house (closing Friday) because my mom is worried the equity could be taken if he has to go into a nursing facility. Anyhow, I don't go over there too often (to their house) because I don't like getting engaged in conversation w/ him (so I'll meet my mom out for lunch or bring her to me). Last time I was there it was obvious he lost his mind. He started showing me how he invented a new cleaning product with a simple paper towel. It was the weirdest conversation imaginable. Then he thought I was crazy that his new invention wasn't real.

CDGator

Not Seedy
Lifetime Member
Jul 24, 2020
My step dad (for 40+ years) either has dementia or early stages Alzheimers. My mom finally convinced him to get tested (he'll be 77 in June). I'm buying their house (closing Friday) because my mom is worried the equity could be taken if he has to go into a nursing facility. Anyhow, I don't go over there too often (to their house) because I don't like getting engaged in conversation w/ him (so I'll meet my mom out for lunch or bring her to me). Last time I was there it was obvious he lost his mind. He started showing me how he invented a new cleaning product with a simple paper towel. It was the weirdest conversation imaginable. Then he thought I was crazy that his new invention wasn't real.

I’m so sorry.
Check out Lewy Body Dementia. It’s different for everyone but has some paranoia and delusional tendencies. No real way to diagnosis until an autopsy but it becomes obvious a few years into it. Different than Alzheimer’s. Quirkier.

That’s what Robin Williams had and now Ted Turner. Also my mom.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Birthdays

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    TheFoodGator