Did Mullen or the return of Campbell cause Grantham to change his scheme?

SGG

Call me Ernie, or Big Ern
Lifetime Member
Sep 24, 2015
the doggfuchers aren't as good offensively as the last two years, no doubt. And they haven't been world beaters the last few years either. But Missouri is two different teams home and away. They are garbage away from home so far this season.
That’s why I’m taking our defensive performance the other night with a grain of salt, especially with Dwag Choker still roaming the sidelines.

I won’t get my hopes up until we have a three score lead.

Renard904

Voice of Reason
Lifetime Member
Oct 1, 2016
So a bad offense can't make a defense look good? The scheme was better due to the simplicity, but lets not pretend we were playing an offense as good as what we have already faced either. Next week will be the real test.
I get where you’re headed but did you watch the first 3 games? We couldn’t stop any P5 team with that defense. That doesn’t mean that competition doesn’t matter. But with how bad we were playing I would have been surprised to see us stop a high school team.

GatorJ

Founding Member
Hopeful
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Contenders vs. a surprisingly flawed defense
i

Florida
Record: 3-1

In three games before a two-week break, Florida put together a surprising set of strengths and weaknesses. The Gators were better offensively than anybody could have imagined, ranking second in points per drive and sixth in success rate while averaging over 42 points per game. The defense, however, had bombed. Florida was projected third in defensive SP+ thanks to a combination of recent success and strong returning production, but the Gators headed into last week's game with Missouri ranked 94th in success rate allowed and 89th in points allowed per drive. This was already a flaw fatal enough to drive a 41-38 loss to Texas A&M; would it quickly eliminate them from title contention altogether?

Kyle Trask completed passes to nine different players en route to 345 yards and four touchdowns, a previously iffy pass rush brought Mizzou's Connor Bazelak down three times, and Florida more than doubled the Tigers' yardage, 514-248. Mizzou only stayed within 24 because of a second-quarter pick-six and a touchdown late in garbage time.

Mizzou came in averaging 5.7 yards per play but managed only 3.9 in Gainesville, 3.1 through three quarters. Is the Gators' defense fixed? Because if so, Florida's back among contenders.

If the 2020 season has taught us anything, however, it's that a unit has to prove itself more than once. Isn't that right, Michigan? And Texas? And Oklahoma? And LSU? And so on and so forth?

Sec14Gator

Lifetime Member
Oct 8, 2017

Thanks and thanks for the input. I was curious of your thoughts in particular as to those early game, 2 & long, 11 personnel lineups with predominantly a true 3-4 showing a 5 man front and no star. Hope we are right and this is a strategic scheme change that will carry forward.

As for the charting process, yeah, it took a while even with fast-forward.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
I don't understand how people watch Granthem for 10 minutes and think he's semi-competent.

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014
Mizzou's not a great football team; but it is interesting to note that we put more points on the board, had more passing and rushing yards, and allowed them fewer passing and rushing yards than when they played Bama.

Mac Jones played 1 series in the 3rd quarter, a TD, putting them up 35-3. They let Bryce Young play the rest of the game and Missouri at up the clock, and outscored Alabama 16-3 the rest of the way. I watched because I had money on Alabama and they didn't cover.

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
I get where you’re headed but did you watch the first 3 games? We couldn’t stop any P5 team with that defense. That doesn’t mean that competition doesn’t matter. But with how bad we were playing I would have been surprised to see us stop a high school team.

What I'm saying is we don't know if those improvements are worth dick until play someone that shows they have a pulse, which missouri away from home hasn't. I like what we saw, but I don't trust it yet.

Renard904

Voice of Reason
Lifetime Member
Oct 1, 2016
What I'm saying is we don't know if those improvements are worth dick until play someone that shows they have a pulse, which missouri away from home hasn't. I like what we saw, but I don't trust it yet.
Georgia’s pass game doesn’t have much of a pulse. This game is all about run defense. I’m not the kind of fan that gets overly emotional and start making ridiculous, over the top comments, but Stetson is really bad. A good game for him would be 250 yards. That’s not threatening to me. He won’t be the reason we lose this game. Georgia has a strong run blocking offensive line and a decent stable of backs. We’re traditionally weak in run defense so we tend to get exposed for overcompensating. But Stetson doesn’t have that ability.

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Georgia’s pass game doesn’t have much of a pulse. This game is all about run defense. I’m not the kind of fan that gets overly emotional and start making ridiculous, over the top comments, but Stetson is really bad. A good game for him would be 250 yards. That’s not threatening to me. He won’t be the reason we lose this game. Georgia has a strong run blocking offensive line and a decent stable of backs. We’re traditionally weak in run defense so we tend to get exposed for overcompensating. But Stetson doesn’t have that ability.

Stetson isn't that good, but really neither was Fromm. We play D like UK did, it should be contained. We play like we did last year, Stetson will look like a pretty decent player. Its all in how we play against what is in front of us. So far Kirby (who I do believe is a worse Xs and Os coach) has both out talented us and out coached us, because of mistakes on our side for two years. We need change the self inflicted wounds.

Renard904

Voice of Reason
Lifetime Member
Oct 1, 2016
Stetson isn't that good, but really neither was Fromm. We play D like UK did, it should be contained. We play like we did last year, Stetson will look like a pretty decent player. Its all in how we play against what is in front of us. So far Kirby (who I do believe is a worse Xs and Os coach) has both out talented us and out coached us, because of mistakes on our side for two years. We need change the self inflicted wounds.
I agree in most normal circumstances. Stetson is not Fromm. He’s really bad. He’s really only good at throwing to the flats but you and I could do that. He’ll be one of the worst passers we see all year.

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
I agree in most normal circumstances. Stetson is not Fromm. He’s really bad. He’s really only good at throwing to the flats but you and I could do that. He’ll be one of the worst passers we see all year.

That's cause he is only about 5'10" can't see over the lines, that is why they have to get him outside the tackles. And there is no one of the worse, he probably will be the worst. But that also means we can't play off the ball and continue to give up the flats like we did last year. They will nickel and dime us all day if we do.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Birthdays

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    TheFoodGator