Do we have any players left?

diehardg8r

Sep 14, 2014
So, after that beat down, do we have any players that can actually contribute left for the rest of the season. Anyone know how bad the LB situation is?

Last edited:

SGG

Call me Ernie, or Big Ern
Lifetime Member
Sep 24, 2015
My immediate thought after reading the thread title was: "Don't let that new guy tell you that he don't got any players."

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
We are a twisted ankle away from playing walkons at inside LB. We have recruited one inside LB (Reese) in the last four years. We are currently looking at playing a safety (Kylan) and a true freshman (Reese) inside. Solid recruiting.

That being said, I like what I've seen from Kylan Johnson on STs and in the spring game. Maybe he will surprise us. However, he is pretty damn small for an SEC inside LB though. (In our system both Middle LB and Weak LB are "inside".)

I actually think if something happens (injury or poor play) we will probably see Marcus Maye back at MLB again. Kylan and Maye is a realistic possibility. It's what happens when you recruit 5-6 DBs every year and say screw the rest.

Last edited:

LagoonGator68

Founding Member
mostly peaceful protester
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Kylan is wounded every other presser....

Chomper

Lifetime Member
Aug 5, 2014
I know that injuries are part of the game and I expect them. But it seems to me that the number of serious injuries on this team is way more than the norm. I have no explanation. Does anyone?

Tunaboat

4th & 34
Lifetime Member
Nov 22, 2015
Because our players are poorly conditioned and soft? They suck on the field, then they get hurt. Maybe too much bonding at team dinners.

gators4224

Apr 30, 2016
My guess is that our lack of depth/lack of reliable backups = we can't rotate in guys who wont miss a beat = starters playing fatigued = more injuries

Also, could be an indictment on the strength program

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
I know that injuries are part of the game and I expect them. But it seems to me that the number of serious injuries on this team is way more than the norm. I have no explanation. Does anyone?

No more than usual, just lack of depth at a number of positions due to the recruiting the last 4 years.

MidwestChomp

Fun was the goal and we hit the bullseye
Lifetime Member
Sep 15, 2014
It just seems like we have so few with a passion and drive like Tebow, Jarrad Davis, etc. These guys go to college and play and want to check out early for the NFL even if they aren't NFL material. This is what drives me nuts. Where's the passion, the leadership on offense, and the skills to back it up? WHERE?

GatorStud

Founding Member
Score Points, Be Happy
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
Go M.A.S.H. Unit!! :confused:

Yeah, I have to agree, the real difference maker ("that face of the program") is long over due, leaving it all on the field irrespective of the outcome is sadly been missing, I mean any game now I expect to see the sideline to be sitting on the bench with their smart phones texting and taking selfies. I don't know if this is just after so many poor plays the feeling of hopelessness has taken hold or it's what we're recruiting or an emulation of the coaches personality? One thing is certain, it's not going to lead to Championship ball.

Marianna-FL_Gator

#GangGang
Lifetime Member
Aug 1, 2014
It just seems like we have so few with a passion and drive like Tebow, Jarrad Davis, etc. These guys go to college and play and want to check out early for the NFL even if they aren't NFL material. This is what drives me nuts. Where's the passion, the leadership on offense, and the skills to back it up? WHERE?
On other teams...Nowadays We land guys who weren't good enough to play on team's consistently in the top 25

SoberJohn

BANNED
Jul 3, 2015
No one is mentioning the "gem", Rayshard Jackson, that was a Randy Shannon coup, and the only LB in McElwain's initial class. As for David Reese, Michigan jettisoned him with the excuse that they didn't have "room" for him to be an early enrollment, then took Devin Bush Jr. as an early enrollment immediately afterwards. It makes you wonder about Reese's ability, unless you think Harbaugh doesn't know what he's doing.
I thought Shannon would be viewed as a "traitor" in South Florida since he was, not an assistant, but a former Head coach at Miami. For that reason, I never believed he was going to be an asset for recruiting South Florida. He has got some, Antonio Callaway for one, players but his track record in recruiting is spotty at best.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Birthdays

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    TheFoodGator