Does Mac's conservative offensive theory limit growth?

revgator

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 19, 2014
Founding Member
Now that we know that Mac is very conservative when it comes to offense, which would explain his dedication to Nuss; Does this limit the potential and growth of young players?

If you don't want the QB to regularly throw deep, what will he draw from when its 3rd and 19?
If you don't want the RB to aim for the goal line, will that limit his distance?

I am seriously interested in some feedback from those who have played or coached. I played sports (not football) and know how important practice is and I wonder if the conservative nature of Mac explains the results on offense stats?

Do guys with natural talent like Toney, or Davis become better or regress? Should you coach up their natural ability or put them in your little box?

I mean once your Alabama, or a well oiled machine that has the fundamentals down, then yes you can operate with precision, but can you rebuild with that type of philosophy and still experience growth?

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
You don't want your quarterback to regularly throw deep. You don't need your quarterback to regularly throw deep.

revgator

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 19, 2014
Founding Member
You don't want your quarterback to regularly throw deep. You don't need your quarterback to regularly throw deep.
True, but when it comes to muscle memory and precision how can you develop that when you practice short screens 90% of the time. That's what made Tebow great is that he worked hard on his own but was coachable at the same time

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
True, but when it comes to muscle memory and precision how can you develop that when you practice short screens 90% of the time. That's what made Tebow great is that he worked hard on his own but was coachable at the same time

It's more reading coverages and reacting than muscle memory. I have lots of questions about the playcalling, including the lack of use of the tight end or the middle of the field for that fact. There's plenty of space to utilize inside of 30 yards downfield, and we don't.

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
But you should do it anyway.

Occasionally, not regularly. When have we ever slung bombs regularly? I can't remember any.

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
I think the point being made here is the same point Law has tried making for some time. There are various ways to get the ball downfield, spread and spread option utilizing lateral movement to get the ball in the hands of playmakers or you take the more direct approach through a vertical attack.

Meyer was lateral, Spurrier was vertical. Take your pick.

revgator

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 19, 2014
Founding Member
I get it '78, but I wonder does a conservative philosophy limit potential? Is what you are talking about an indirect result of the philosophy

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
I get it '78, but I wonder does a conservative philosophy limit potential? Is what you are talking about an indirect result of the philosophy

Yes it limits. Not sure about the second part of your question. We've had some polar opposite offenses over the past 20 years.

Law, I'm taking you to the woodshed.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Does Butters archaic offense limitnthe offense?

Is this even a serious question?

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Yes.

Law, I'm taking you to the woodshed.
Good luck.

30 yards isnt deep. Well it is deep but mozt deep routes are designed for 17 yards.

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Good luck.

30 yards isnt deep. Well it is deep but mozt deep routes are designed for 17 yards.

Incorrect interpretation. Anything over 30 yards is deep. I made it clear we've underutilized the space WITHIN 30 yards.

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
BTW, if you go back and look at tape of routes run under Spurrier, esp during the Wuerffel years, you'll see that seldom was he asked to launch the ball more than 30 yards.

Marine1

Semper Fidelis
Dec 20, 2015
Now that we know that Mac is very conservative when it comes to offense, which would explain his dedication to Nuss; Does this limit the potential and growth of young players?

If you don't want the QB to regularly throw deep, what will he draw from when its 3rd and 19?
If you don't want the RB to aim for the goal line, will that limit his distance?

I am seriously interested in some feedback from those who have played or coached. I played sports (not football) and know how important practice is and I wonder if the conservative nature of Mac explains the results on offense stats?

Do guys with natural talent like Toney, or Davis become better or regress? Should you coach up their natural ability or put them in your little box?

I mean once your Alabama, or a well oiled machine that has the fundamentals down, then yes you can operate with precision, but can you rebuild with that type of philosophy and still experience growth?

Rev:

As to the QB the bigger key is getting him adjusted to the speed of the game. Make the right calls, the right reads, develop command presence. I think they are moving forward with Franks with exactly the right approach. He is extremely raw albeit talented.

As to the RB. It was a very isolated incident. A RB who had already broken loose on a TD run when a first down and a fall could have iced the game. There will be zero...and I mean literally zero percent chance that any running back on any other carry the rest of the year will hesitate to run hard because they think the coach doesn't like scoring.

Mac has consistently gone for it on 4th down....he has dominated the 4th quarter....is he Spurrier? Far from it. But I'm not sure he is as conservative as some think. As his QB matures I think you will see the offense open up a little more.

He'll never be Spurrier for sure.

InstiGATOR1

Lifetime Member
Mar 27, 2016

What limits the growth of young players is McElwain's style prevents UF from ever putting even the worst opponent away. Thus the backup particularly the young backup do not get game reps.

revgator

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 19, 2014
Founding Member
What limits the growth of young players is McElwain's style prevents UF from ever putting even the worst opponent away. Thus the backup particularly the young backup do not get game reps.
This is my concern. I mean so far its working for mac, but i just dont want it to come back and bite us.

InstiGATOR1

Lifetime Member
Mar 27, 2016
This is my concern. I mean so far its working for mac, but i just dont want it to come back and bite us.

I would not say it is working. It is part of the reason he has not had QBs ready when he needed them each year.

GatorStud

Founding Member
Score Points, Be Happy
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
You get to the second level with nothing but pasture ahead of you, and your coach expects you to fall down for run out the clock snaps. This puts in perspective we have no championship level coach. The message is scoring is bad sometimes, WTF!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Birthdays

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    TheFoodGator