Driskel says he would have thrown for 4,000 yards this year at UF

NCOGator

Sep 5, 2014
Knowing what we know now about Grier, I bet 90% of us on this board would've rather had Driskel for the entire year than Grier for half and Harris for half or Grier half and Driskel. With him I think we would've put up more yards in the air and TDs....okay maybe more INTs too. Maybe SEC Champs :dunno:

WobbleGator

Founding Member
Chatterbox Mod
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
I think Grier would've won the job. Driskel knew he wasn't going to start and that's why he left, so he could get a fresh start somewhere and get the starting job somewhere else. Driskel would've been a better backup option than treon, though I believe.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Pretty sure if Driskel stayed, Mac would not have played two QB's at the beginning of the season. Grier would have been starting from the get go.

Chomper

Lifetime Member
Aug 5, 2014
We hardly got to know you Jeffy boy. No doubt, in some ways, you got a bum rap at UF. Seems like the deck was stacked against you from day one. But hindsight is always 20:20, and the decision to leave UF was yours. Time to move on, for all of us.

Oklahoma Gator

Lifetime Member
Nov 18, 2015
The first 2 years I wouldn't have been sure that Jeff could have thrown for 4000 yards against air but I think Mac's O would have suited him better. Also he would have benifited from a better WR corp this year. There is no way he could have been any worse than Treon. Treon was historically bad at the end of the year. Also I feel like loosing Jake McGee last year hurt both Jeff and the team so much 2 years ago. If Jeff had thrown for 3000 last year, and was 1.5-1 Td to Int ratio, this would have been a different season

Chomper

Lifetime Member
Aug 5, 2014
Treon was historically bad at the end of the year. on
Sadly, yes. It does not do anyone any good to see a young man struggle as he did. By season's end, he appeared to have lost all confidence and no doubt much of that was because he knew he could not do what he was being asked to do as qb. I think we would have won at least one more game, maybe two, with Driskel or Grier at qb.

SGG

Call me Ernie, or Big Ern
Lifetime Member
Sep 24, 2015
UT and Mizzou don't count because Grier was the starter, not treon. You really think we would've lost to Vandy and FAU if Driskel started? So you think he would've been played worse than treon did? That's not possible

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
The one thing Harris wasn't was a turnover machine. Gunshy? Sure, but he didn't single handedly lose games either. Driskel hasn't ever been able to make that claim, and likely never will.

SGG

Lifetime Member
Sep 24, 2015
Knowing what we know now about Grier, I bet 90% of us on this board would've rather had Driskel for the entire year than Grier for half and Harris for half or Grier half and Driskel. With him I think we would've put up more yards in the air and TDs....okay maybe more INTs too. Maybe SEC Champs :dunno:
Count me in that 10%. Behind that inexperienced oline, it would have been a turnover fest. Like I said earlier, some of our wins would have been losses.

NCOGator

Sep 5, 2014
Count me in that 10%. Behind that inexperienced oline, it would have been a turnover fest. Like I said earlier, some of our wins would have been losses.
At least he would've thrown the ball down field instead of in the stands. I think he would've been 1000000% upgrade from Harris. All we would've needed from him is 225 yard 2 TD and his usual INT. That would've put at least one more W in our column maybe two.

GatorJ

Founding Member
Hopeful
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Not sure if it was the worst ever, but not very impressive.

His class had....

Pro Style
#1 Jeff Driskel 4* UF
#5 Brandon Allen 4* Arkansas
#12 Cardale Jones 3* OSU
#13 Connor Cook 3* MSU
#15 Kevin Hogan 3* Stanford
#18 Jacob Coker 3* FSU

Duel Threat
#1 Braxton Miller 4* OSU
#3 Jacoby Brissett 4* UF
#6 Teddy Bridgewater 4* Louisville
#9 Marquis Williams 4* UNC
#12 Marcus Mariota 3* Oregon
#14 Johnny Manziel 3* Texas A&M
#16 Everett Golson 3* Notre Dame
#24 Trevone Boykin 3* TCU

I think he meant this year's NFL draft class. Not his recruiting class.

gatormandan

Are we back yet?
Lifetime Member
Oct 15, 2014
Guys, he might be right. He threw for 3,411 yards in 3 years and one more year he could have got to 4000. He would have only needed 589 yards.

NCOGator

Sep 5, 2014
Yeah I know I am going all "Third Person" here but damn @Law98gator you actually gave me a dislike for this. What you think that Harris is a better QB than Driskel?

divits

Founding Member
A Muffin of the Studly Variety
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
Yeeeeeeaaah, I don't think so. His psyche would have had to take a complete 180 for him to have thrown for 4,000 yards at Florida.

TheBigClaw

Founding Member
Proud to be a Gator
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Lets be honest, he wasn't throwing for 4000 behind the line this year, no QB was throwing for that much behind our line. Period. As far as whether or not he would've been a better option than Treon, I have no doubts Mac could've made him serviceable

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Yeah I know I am going all "Third Person" here but damn @Law98gator you actually gave me a dislike for this. What you think that Harris is a better QB than Driskel?
Behind the worst offensive line any power 5 team has ever fielded, Driskel would have probably doubled his school record of most sacks and likely set new records (also his) for most turnovers.

Harris is clearly better than Driskel and proved so when he walked on the field as a 18 year old and took Driskel's job a few weeks later. Driskel and Harris are a running QBs who have no place in Mac's offense and would (or should) have been moved to receiver or something else.

I linked to the "dumbing down the playbook" article from La Tech this year. Every year for 5 years, there was a "dumbing down the playbook" for Driskel article. Mac's offense requires quick analysis of the defense and quick accurate throws. Simply put, Driskel had zero chance of accomplishing either. There is a reason Mac encouraged him to move on.

CGgater

Gainesville Native
Lifetime Member
Jul 30, 2014
Lots of big talk on here that appears to be hindsight. Hmmm...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SGG

Lifetime Member
Sep 24, 2015
At least he would've thrown the ball down field instead of in the stands. I think he would've been 1000000% upgrade from Harris. All we would've needed from him is 225 yard 2 TD and his usual INT. That would've put at least one more W in our column maybe two.
Right. Because in 2014, he was soooo much better than Treon he got benched in favor of him.

deuce

Founding Member
"Cry 'Havoc!', and let slip the dogs of war."
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Not sure why we waste time debating what might have been.

Who knows?

We just move on with the players who want to play here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    TheFoodGator