Expectations for next year?

MJMGator

Founding Member
Slightly amused
Lifetime Member
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
Now that the season is over, what are your expectations for next year? I expect to be in the 8-4 to 9-3 range due to the uncertainty at QB, PK and LB positions. That said, I also expect to make it 12 in a row over the Vols plus notch another win over the Dwags. I damn sure don't expect to see anymore performances like we witnessed the last several weeks of the regular season and the bowl game.

TN G8tr

Founding Member
The "Original" TN G8tr
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
Just watched the presser. Mac certainly knows the expectation. He almost seemed relieved this season is over. He mentioned several times, "the guys we got coming in" throughout. I think we'll improve at QB, OL, K. Defense may take a bit of a hit but we have 8 DL'men returning with significant playing time. Going to need to some work at LB and DB. But with a dominant front DL and some upgrades offensively we should do fine. I see as well an 8-4, 9-3 type season. We may be a better team that does not show it in the W/L column. I definitely think TH has taken his last snap as QB in a game unless we have a major plague hit our QB's next fall.

Oklahoma Gator

Lifetime Member
Nov 18, 2015
I genuinely hope treon transfers because I don't want there to be any chance of him having to play again. If we had a natural disaster hit our QB room, I'd prefer we ran wildcat single wing for 12 games than ever see him take another snap. Tie a note to his helmet that says "to Will Muschamp from the gator nation. You thought this kid could play so you should have to deal with him"

GMDGator

Founding Member
Slick Willie - RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 15, 2014
Founding Member
Ole HeeHaw improves offense next year, but we still lose 4 including UT...

williston_gator

Founding Member
Twitter junkie
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
For reference: @DK_Thompson: #Gators finish the season the 113th ranked offense and 9th ranked defense nationally.

GatorStud

Founding Member
Score Points, Be Happy
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
A little too celebratory almost and indifferent to being spanked on TV in your home state post season from Mac's camp. I'm on pause as to his effectiveness and that of some assistants. But, it's a big job after 'stank& Co with needing to revamp a purported front office and support system for championship purposes. So, maybe I'm bummed at the ending and impatient. Another whiplash season in the books. I sure miss those couple of decades were our mojo and colors took over stadiums and news so to speak. Come on Mac, bring it back. Go Gators!

gardnerwebbgator

Founding Member
Aight Then
Lifetime Member
Jun 19, 2014
Founding Member
9-3. Go 2-3 in this five game pool: @UT, LSU, UGA, @ARK, @FSU. The other seven games, including Duncechump's return, are W's. Find a way to go 3-2 in this five game mix and we are at 10 wins again.

CGgater

Gainesville Native
Lifetime Member
Jul 30, 2014
Hard to predict this early. Much will depend on OL and QB play. If rumors of LDR's progress are true, then we'll be okay.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Concrete Helmet

Hook, Line, and Sinker
Lifetime Member
Jul 29, 2014
You'll know within the first quarter of the first game what the outlook will be. If you see offensive linemen with bellies, skinny arms and twigs for legs(like they looked this year) were in BIG trouble...If they look like a different group of players than you've ever seen, taking 5,6 and 7 yards a clip running the football with backs not weighing under 225# then you can look forward to 9 plus wins.....simple as that. Regardless of QB or PK. If those positions are even marginally better then 10 plus is a reality.

TN G8tr

Founding Member
The "Original" TN G8tr
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
With the experience and another year for these guys to grow, strengthen, and develop we should be in better shape. And adding more depth will be of help too. If I'm correct Thurman is the only one we lose.

gardnerwebbgator

Founding Member
Aight Then
Lifetime Member
Jun 19, 2014
Founding Member
With the experience and another year for these guys to grow, strengthen, and develop we should be in better shape. And adding more depth will be of help too. If I'm correct Thurman is the only one we lose.

And Halter. We only had one junior on the roster at OL as well, the rest are all sophs and freshmen. Awesome future in store.

OcalaGator83

Not Hopeful
Lifetime Member
Oct 23, 2014
Really difficult to answer. Halfway through this season I thought next year we would finally begin to see decent football on a consistent basis. After the last half of this season, now I am not sure. Say what you will about the lack of players (and I freely admit this is true and valid), but the coaching staff has failed to impress down the stretch. I am not in the camp that will give them all the credit for the 10 win season and none of the responsibility for the collapse towards the end.

I'm not in the "Fire McElwain" camp by a longshot, but I definitely am not in the lifetime contract camp either. I think next season is when he proves he is the guy or he is not the guy.

RocketCityGator

In All Kinds of Weather
Lifetime Member
Aug 31, 2014
Really difficult to answer. Halfway through this season I thought next year we would finally begin to see decent football on a consistent basis. After the last half of this season, now I am not sure. Say what you will about the lack of players (and I freely admit this is true and valid), but the coaching staff has failed to impress down the stretch. I am not in the camp that will give them all the credit for the 10 win season and none of the responsibility for the collapse towards the end.

I'm not in the "Fire McElwain" camp by a longshot, but I definitely am not in the lifetime contract camp either. I think next season is when he proves he is the guy or he is not the guy.

Agree!!!

TheBoroGator

Newbiebutoldie
Sep 23, 2015
All I ask for next season is the only thing I ever ask for. Beat Georgia! Success at UF is only achieved by doing so.
Mac 27 - The enemy 3
Congratulations Jim! You get my vote of confidence moving forward. Now let's make it 3 in a row!

Gator Fever

Founding Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
Should contend for the East if that transfer QB can play a little. Probably in the 9-3 range. Running game should be a lot better with a more experienced line that is stronger.

GatorTAG

Paid Member
Lifetime Member
Oct 21, 2014
Imo, if year 2 is a step back from this year then we are in serious trouble. Richt gone, Spurrier gone and Pinkle gone from the east. Those are the coaches that have been beating us lately.

This year he might have exceeded expectations by winning the east but usually great coaches take a step forward in year two after they instill their program and get a couple of recruiting classes. You guys know how I feel about his recruiting so you could say I'm a little worried.

I'm still in a wait and see mode. I think he did some great things this year and he made watching Gator football fun for about 10 games. But after he won the east he quit and the team quit. FAU took us to overtime and we lost the next 3 games after that. And like Crete said above, after each loss he had a very nonchalant attitude in the subsequent presser.

We'll know what we have with him after next year.

Gator Fever

Founding Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
Imo, if year 2 is a step back from this year then we are in serious trouble. Richt gone, Spurrier gone and Pinkle gone from the east. Those are the coaches that have been beating us lately.

This year he might have exceeded expectations by winning the east but usually great coaches take a step forward in year two after they instill their program and get a couple of recruiting classes. You guys know how I feel about his recruiting so you could say I'm a little worried.

I'm still in a wait and see mode. I think he did some great things this year and he made watching Gator football fun for about 10 games. But after he won the east he quit and the team quit. FAU took us to overtime and we lost the next 3 games after that. And like Crete said above, after each loss he had a very nonchalant attitude in the subsequent presser.

We'll know what we have with him after next year.

You make a good point about the coaching transition. Tenn is the only possible contender to us that isn't in that situation.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Birthdays

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    TheFoodGator