Favorite Brining recipe or turkey prep method.

B52G8rAC

SAC Trained Warrior
Lifetime Member
Feb 15, 2016
So, just finished my turkey brine Traditional. Kosher salt, brown sugar, pepper corns, juniper berries. sage, apple cider. NO crab boil. Had the bird spatchcocked and will soak for 30 hours.

CDGator

Not Seedy
Lifetime Member
Jul 24, 2020
The only way to cook a turkey is to brine it first. The important part is the salt, water and long soaks and the other ingredients change for me year to year. Getting ready to dry the bird off so I can cook it today.

CDGator

Not Seedy
Lifetime Member
Jul 24, 2020
Dr Pepper
Go Away Reaction GIF

cover2

Founding Member
I've grown old
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Brining is certainly an important part of the process. Step 2 for us is to salt and pepper the cavity and then stuff with celery, carrots, onions, and apples and a sprig of thyme. Then we salt and pepper the skin, coat with vegetable oil and a light dusting of flour. Then we put the bird in a roasting bag and place it in the roaster breast-side down. Mother-in-law would do this and the breast was always especially moist. Also had plenty of stock for making the good giblet gravy for the dressing. To make that, we always start with equal parts butter and flour to make a roux. Cook it until it starts to darken (cooks the raw flour taste out), then add stock, bits of turkey, the liver and gizzard chopped up, and boiled egg. Let it simmer until it thickens. Salt & Pepper to taste.

B52G8rAC

SAC Trained Warrior
Lifetime Member
Feb 15, 2016
This is the only brining and roasting turkey recipe I use. It works every time.

thats the recipe i started with. wife thought the allspice took away from the turkey flavor so i cut down on the extraneous spice. if you havent tried spatchcocking, i recommend it. cooks fast and the skin is crispy.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.