First 3 2016 opponent previews

Marianna-FL_Gator

#GangGang
Lifetime Member
Aug 1, 2014
UMass Minutemen

Ben Hill Griffin Stadium, Gainesville, Fla.

Sept. 3, 2016, 7:30 p.m. ET, SEC Network

UMass head coach: Mark Whipple (3rd season)

Coordinators: Spencer Whipple (passing game coordinator; 2nd season in role, 3rd on staff), Tom Masella (defensive coordinator, 3rd season)

UMass 2015 record – 3-9 (2-6 Mid-American Conference): 2015 was the final season in the MAC for UMass, which is now an independent. Last year didn't go so well for Whipple's group, as the Minutemen started the season 0-3 and then after a win over FIU dropped five consecutive contests.

2015 offensive stats: 65th nationally in total offense (399.8 YPG), 108th in scoring offense (22.2 PPG), 37th in passing offense (257.5 YPG), 103rd in rushing offense (142.3 YPG)

2015 defensive stats: 104th nationally in total defense (447.8 YPG), 92nd in scoring defense (31.4 PPG), 37th in passing defense (254.9 YPG), 94th in rushing defense (192.9 YPG)

Returning leading passer – QB Ross Comis (171 yards, 2 TD on 15-of-21 passing): With last year's starter, Blake Frohnapfel, graduating, Comis will compete against JUCO transfer and former Virginia Tech signee Andrew Ford for the starting job during fall training camp.

Returning leading rusher – RB Marquis Young (960 yards, 7 TD on 152 carries): After a strong freshman season and now a handful of contributors on offense graduating, Young will be counted on to produce in 2016.

Returning leading receiver – WR Shakur Nesmith (204 yards, 3 TD on 15 catches): The Minutemen lose three of their top receiving options from a year ago, including standout wide receiver Tajae Sharpe (who recorded 1,319 yards and five touchdowns on 111 catches a year ago), tight end Rodney Mills and wideout Marken Michel.

Returning leading tackler – LB Shane Huber (95 tackles, 2.5 TFL): UMass lost an array of starters on the defensive side of the ball to graduation, including linebacker Jovan Santos-Knox, who finished 2015 with an impressive 131 tackles, 9 TFL and 3.5 sacks.

Returning leaders in interceptions – LB Da'Sean Downey and S Khary Bailey-Smith (one each):Massachusetts was tied for fourth in the MAC last season with 13 interceptions but loses a handful of key pieces in the secondary including Randall Jette, Trey Dudley-Giles and Joe Colton.

Kentucky Wildcats

Sept. 10, 2016, 3:30 p.m. ET on CBS

Kentucky head coach: Mark Stoops (4th season)

Coordinators: Eddie Gran (offensive coordinator; 1st season), Darin Hinshaw (co-offensive coordinator/quarterbacks coach; 1st season), D.J. Eliot (defensive coordinator; 4th season)

Kentucky 2015 record – 5-7 (2-6 SEC): The Wildcats started off the 2015 campaign strong, winning four of their first five games (losing one to Florida and then winning two against fellow SEC-East foes South Carolina and Missouri). However, the Wildcats would go on to lose six of their next seven contests and miss out on being bowl eligible.

2015 offensive stats: 89th nationally in total offense (372.0 YPG), 95th in scoring offense (24.7 PPG), 79th in passing offense (209.3 YPG), 79th in rushing offense (162.7 YPG)

2015 defensive stats: 59th nationally in total defense (394.2 YPG), 68th in scoring defense (27.4 PPG), 28th in passing defense (198.1 YPG), 97th in rushing defense (196.1 YPG)

Returning leading passer – QB Drew Barker (364 yards, 1 TD, 2 INT on 35-of-70 passing):With last year's starter Patrick Towles transferring to Boston College for his final season, the Kentucky offense is now Barker's to run. After UK's spring game, Stoops named Barker, a former Rivals250 prospect from the 2014 class, the team's starting quarterback.

Returning leading rusher – RB Stanley "Boom" Williams (855 yards, 6 TD on 121 carries): The Wildcats return all three of their top rushers from a year ago in Williams, Jojo Kemp (555 yards, 6 TD on 98 carries) and Mikel Horton (318 yards, 3 TD on 82 carries).

Returning leading receiver – WR Garrett Johnson (694 yards, 2 TD on 46 catches): UK is deep and talented at wide receiver, with regulars in Johnson, Dorian Baker, Jeff Badet, Blake Bone and Ryan Timmons all returning to the mix. The Wildcats also bring back promising tight end C.J. Conrad.

Returning leading tackler – S Marcus McWilson (66 tackles): Kentucky loses a handful of key contributors on defense from last season, including seven of its top eight tacklers from 2015 in linebacker Josh Forrest, safety A.J. Stamps, defensive tackle Cory Johnson, linebacker Khalid Henderson, Ryan Flannigan and defensive ends Farrington Huguenin and Jason Hatcher (who was dismissed from the team in February).

Returning leader in interceptions – CB J.D. Harmon (three picks): Kentucky's young secondary looks to be one of its most intriguing positions in 2016. With dynamic sophomore cornerback Chris Westry leading the way, the UK secondary also returns redshirt sophomore safety Mike Edwards and sophomore cornerback Derrick Baity. Stoops is extremely high on that trio of defensive backs.

North Texas Mean Green

Sept. 17, 2016, 7:30 p.m. ET, ESPNU

North Texas head coach: Seth Littrell (1st season)

Coordinators: Graham Harrell (offensive coordinator, 1st season), Mike Ekeler (defensive coordinator, 1st season)

North Texas 2015 record – 1-11 (1-7 Conference USA): After starting the season 0-5, then-head coach Dan McCarney was dismissed from the program following a 66-7 loss to FCS Portland State. The Mean Green would go on to lose six of their final seven contests.

2015 offensive stats: 118th nationally in total offense (320.1 YPG), 124th in scoring offense (15.2 PPG), 115th in passing offense (161.4 YPG), 83rd in rushing offense (158.7 YPG)

2015 defensive stats: 120th nationally in total defense (502.6 YPG), 122nd in scoring defense (41.3 PPG), 108th in passing defense (262.7 YPG), 119th in rushing defense (239.9 YPG)

Returning leading passer – N/A: The Mean Green have experienced an overhaul at the quarterback position, with last year's leading passers DaMarcus Smith and Andrew McNulty no longer on the roster. Now, the answer at the quarterback position for UNT could be Alabama transfer Alec Morris, who appeared in eight games in the late minutes for the Crimson Tide while combining for just 6 yards on one pass during four seasons.

Returning leading rusher – RB Jeffrey Wilson (830 yards, 1 TD on 155 carries): One of the silver linings for UNT's struggling offense last season was Wilson, who had a productive year as a sophomore appearing in 10 games. Staying healthy will be key for Wilson, who has battled various injuries over the past two seasons.

Returning leading receiver – WR Turner Smiley (255 yards, 1 TD on 25 catches): UNT lost its two leaders in receiving yards from a year ago in wide receiver Carlos Harris (727 yards, 7 TD on 61 catches) and tight end Marcus Smith (261 yards on 29 catches) to graduation.

Returning leading tackler – S Kishawn McClain (110 tackles): One of the greatest strengths on UNT's roster is its pair of safeties in McClain and James Gray, who both led the team in tackles last season.

Returning leader in interceptions – McClain and DB Chad Davis (one each): North Texas ranked 12th out of 13 teams in C-USA (and tied for 122nd nationally) in interceptions with only four on the season.

Last edited:

oxrageous

Founding Member
It's Good to be King
Administrator
Jun 5, 2014
Founding Member
Marianna, if you are cutting and pasting this from another source you need to post the link along with it.

alcoholica

Founding Member
I'm what Willis was talking about
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
He's just dedicated. You should have home as a guest on your podcast.

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014
Thanks for the info.

We should roll all 3 of these teams...but if the last 6 years has taught us anything, we aren't a program that can expect a win - much less a blowout - anymore. Hopefully we become that kind of program this year.

I'd love to see us break 45 in the 2 "gimme's" and go over 30 on Kentucky...and clear the benches. I really hope that in those 3 games our back up QB attempts at least 20 passes. I hate going to Tennessee and into the meat of our schedule w/ the backup having little PT.

Rentmoneygawd

Jan 14, 2016
Thanks for the info.

We should roll all 3 of these teams...but if the last 6 years has taught us anything, we aren't a program that can expect a win - much less a blowout - anymore. Hopefully we become that kind of program this year.

I'd love to see us break 45 in the 2 "gimme's" and go over 30 on Kentucky...and clear the benches. I really hope that in those 3 games our back up QB attempts at least 20 passes. I hate going to Tennessee and into the meat of our schedule w/ the backup having little PT.

Excellent points

GatorJB

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
We should win game one and three by at least 7 touchdowns and that's with the backups playing most of the second half. Those two teams are simply awful, and there is no excuse for those games to be close by the second quarter.

Hopefully this year, we'll beat UK by multiple TD's since it's been 3 years since that last happened and 4 years since we scored more than 30 points on them. We need to get back to the good ole days of beating them by 30+.

Marianna-FL_Gator

#GangGang
Lifetime Member
Aug 1, 2014
He's just dedicated. You should have home as a guest on your podcast.
I would gladly do a podcast with OX! Btw...I like this board so when I see something (or hear something) i bring that content to the board because I know "football junkies" (like myself) will like to read it. You should try that sometimes instead of saying slick sh*t when others do so!

alcoholica

Founding Member
I'm what Willis was talking about
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
I would gladly do a podcast with OX! Btw...I like this board so when I see something (or hear something) i bring that content to the board because I know "football junkies" (like myself) will like to read it. You should try that sometimes instead of saying slick sh*t when others do so!
You're right, I've never started a thread.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.