Fishing Videos, Pics and Stories

GatorTAG

Paid Member
Lifetime Member
Oct 21, 2014
This was from last weekend. I caught him in about 6" of muddy water. There were 5 or 6 reds tailing all around me and shrimp jumping everywhere. You can even see shrimp jump in my kayak while I'm landing this fish. He measured 28".

Last edited:

rogdochar

Founding Member
RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
Man I was expecting concrete to be 400lbs. I'm not gonna lie, I'm a little disappointed.

No tgator, his only similarity to real concrete is that re-bar is so much a part of his groundwork. :drunk:

Ancient Reptile

Mar 4, 2015
This was from last weekend. I caught him in about 6" of muddy water. There were 5 or 6 reds tailing all around me and shrimp jumping everywhere. You can even see shrimp jump in my kayak while I'm landing this fish. He measured 28".

Interesting that the reds are in such shallow water in such hot weather.

rogdochar

Founding Member
RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
I loathe date-work. That's why I now only date homeless women... increases the odds that I can get
her to spend the night. But if she says "no", then I get to decide where to drop her off -- usually only
5 minutes away.

Rog when they stay over, what do you do with the shopping cart?

Well, right off xcoot, I tump out her Lawyer.

NavetG8r

Founding Member
Stupid
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member

Nice fish TAG!

rogdochar

Founding Member
RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
Couldn'thelp but notice you guys have your hooks bent the wrong way. Firmly grip aside the barb and
forcefully bend it the other direction.... you're welcome.

NVGator

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member

Did you eat that?

Concrete Helmet

Hook, Line, and Sinker
Lifetime Member
Jul 29, 2014

There really is nothing like casting to Reds when their so shallow that their backs and tails are out of water. The complete mayhem that breaks out when you set the hook and they erupt leaving mud trails is highly addictive.....Sadly the algae bloom has really hampered that lately in the Lagoon. Thankfully it hasn't stopped the monster breeders from showing up lately....Here's my buddy Don doin' work for his clients this week...Gonna have to go get me some soooooonnnnn......
upload_2016-7-17_6-14-45.png upload_2016-7-17_6-16-2.png

rogdochar

Founding Member
RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
'crete, since you call that pan-size, post a picture of your kitchen.

Concrete Helmet

Hook, Line, and Sinker
Lifetime Member
Jul 29, 2014
'crete, since you call that pan-size, post a picture of your kitchen.
Rog, them big girls have to go back to fight another day and rightfully so as they replenish the stock for the future. Sadly every summer we've found some of these floating dead after being caught and kept out of water for far too long(taking pictures) from some guides and uncaring weekend anglers......We always keep our fish in the water usually wading while holding the fish with a Boga grip while everything is readied for photos, then make sure to take as long as the fish needs to swim off safely. Most of these fish are still caught in 2 feet of water or less so using light tackle can prolong the fight and build up toxic levels of lactic acid within them....in other words you must be extra careful to ensure the fishes safety....

Ancient Reptile

Mar 4, 2015
Rog, them big girls have to go back to fight another day and rightfully so as they replenish the stock for the future. Sadly every summer we've found some of these floating dead after being caught and kept out of water for far too long(taking pictures) from some guides and uncaring weekend anglers......We always keep our fish in the water usually wading while holding the fish with a Boga grip while everything is readied for photos, then make sure to take as long as the fish needs to swim off safely. Most of these fish are still caught in 2 feet of water or less so using light tackle can prolong the fight and build up toxic levels of lactic acid within them....in other words you must be extra careful to ensure the fishes safety....
Kudos. The big females make a huge difference in the breeding population. My wife released her 35# red and I finally persuaded a friend to release her 18# fish last year. She almost waited too long. I will remember to prepare for photos first. Good idea.

MJMGator

Founding Member
Slightly amused
Lifetime Member
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
Years ago, we got into a school of monster reds under a pod of menhaden off Jax beach. Three of us stayed hooked up for several hours before we finally got tired and decided to head offshore for kings. We probably caught about 10-15 anywhere from 20-50 pounds.

GatorTAG

Paid Member
Lifetime Member
Oct 21, 2014
There really is nothing like casting to Reds when their so shallow that their backs and tails are out of water. The complete mayhem that breaks out when you set the hook and they erupt leaving mud trails is highly addictive.....Sadly the algae bloom has really hampered that lately in the Lagoon. Thankfully it hasn't stopped the monster breeders from showing up lately....Here's my buddy Don doin' work for his clients this week...Gonna have to go get me some soooooonnnnn......
I wish I had kept filming after I pulled that fish in. Right after I cut the camera off things went nuts.

As you can see I'm sitting there watching a half dozen redfish chasing shrimp. Their backs are out of the water and shrimp are jumping in my kayak. I cast and hook this fish and when he starts thrashing around the rest of the fish get all excited. As I reel him up to the kayak and pull him out the other fish are surrounding me. They are bumping my kayak and splashing mud all over the place. When I finally got the fish unhooked I look down at myself and the kayak and everything was a muddy mess.

I have video of another red I caught after that one and you'll can see how dirty I was. I'll try to get it uploaded and post it soon.

Concrete Helmet

Hook, Line, and Sinker
Lifetime Member
Jul 29, 2014
I wish I had kept filming after I pulled that fish in. Right after I cut the camera off things went nuts.

As you can see I'm sitting there watching a half dozen redfish chasing shrimp. Their backs are out of the water and shrimp are jumping in my kayak. I cast and hook this fish and when he starts thrashing around the rest of the fish get all excited. As I reel him up to the kayak and pull him out the other fish are surrounding me. They are bumping my kayak and splashing mud all over the place. When I finally got the fish unhooked I look down at myself and the kayak and everything was a muddy mess.

I have video of another red I caught after that one and you'll can see how dirty I was. I'll try to get it uploaded and post it soon.
Awesome, love seeing the vids from the kayak pov. Kayaks are so stealthy that you can get almost too close to the fish sometimes. Reminds me a lot of fishing from my old Gheenoe.
Reds can certainly be victims of their schoolmates excitation. I have spent may hours watching schools of up to 200 fish not eat ANYTHING for an hour or so until one lets their guard down.....then it's on like crazy until the school moves on. It makes sense though because once they start kicking up the mud it flushes out shrimp, crabs and mud minnows which are usually their preferred forage. That's also a good reason to always make 1 or 2 cast into the muddied water that mullet kick up when schooled on the flats...

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    TheFoodGator