Five Looming Questions Remain

joeblow

Banned
Banned
Aug 12, 2015
I thought Florida's offense was pretty good last Thursday, and pretty average last Friday, but it sounds as if that offense has come on a fair bit this week. Muschamp's frustrations with his defense have to do with allowing explosive plays to the offense, and there are legitimate concerns about the defense's ability to play assignment football consistently (scroll up two sections and re-read all that), but it bears repeating: Florida's offense is recording explosive plays, something that Florida's offense struggled to do against any defense in 2013, against a loaded defense coached by some defensive whizzes.
Last week felt like the defense showing it is, as usual, ahead of the offense, and it's especially unsurprising that a defense that is reloading is ahead of an offense that is revamping. Driskel, though, has been quite impressive, to the point that I honestly don't think I've read or seen more than quibbles with his play so far, and he's surrounded by a lot of talent: Florida's got basically the same running backs it had last year, but healthier and better; its wide receiver corps is deeper and more athletic; there is a genuine tight end at tight end this year.
All of that talent is being put to good use by Roper, whose rep as a quarterback guru and a disciple of ultimate QB Svengali David Cutcliffe helps obscure how good he was at making once-marginal talents into playmakers at Duke. Few thought much of Jamison Crowder or Conner Vernon as recruits, but they became probably Duke's two best wide receivers ever under Roper ... and I'd argue that every single scholarship receiver on Florida's roster showed at least as much in high school as Crowder and Vernon did.
Sure, there's a great distance between high school production and collegiate production, and talent doesn't always translate. And I'm really optimistic about this offense, and still don't think there's more than a mallard's chance in the Robertson household that Florida's going to have an offense better than its defense.
But it will not need one of those — just an offense better than it's had, and one that can be better than other defenses. The chances of this offense becoming that hypothetical one are quite strong.

small_alligatorarmy.com.minimal.png
[h=3]More from Alligator Army[/h]
​

VulcanAlex

Founding Member
Senior Vulcan Cowboy
Jun 16, 2014
Founding Member
Only five questions? None about any special teams which I think need to play a much larger role, not just the kicking but return and coverage as well have been under my standards with Champ as HBC.

I don't see any reason that two QB's can't be effective, we will need some deception here with Grier running some and Treyon moving to the slot with both on the field. If we are creative it will cause trouble for opposing defenses, we need this because straight up we don't win enough battles.

maheo30

WiLLLLLLLie! WiLLLLLLLie!
Lifetime Member
Jul 24, 2014
I fully expect Coach Mac to have a package for Treon just to give his opponents something else to prepare for.

Gatordiddy

Member in good standing
Lifetime Member
Jul 23, 2014
joeblow;n263566 said:
Driskel, though, has been quite impressive
joeblow;n263566 said:
All of that talent is being put to good use by Roper

2014 called - they want you to post on their board last year.

Zambo

Founding Member
Poo Flinger
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Thread title is redundant.

TN G8tr

Founding Member
The "Original" TN G8tr
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
Nothing new. We just need to season to start. Then questions will start to be answered.

Gator Fever

Founding Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
TN G8tr;n263774 said:
Nothing new. We just need to season to start. Then questions will start to be answered.

Exactly - Grier hasn't looked good at all against the first team defense. We need to see what we have.

URGatorBait

Founding Member
Ox's Former Favorite Poster
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Gatordiddy;n263653 said:
2014 called - they want you to post on their board last year.
I'm starting to wonder if this troll is just copying and pasting comments from other places. Others have said that some of his posts have been word for word with posts/comments below stories, from GSMB, and he did come over with that group recently.

I still vote permaban.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Birthdays

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    TheFoodGator