Fixing the offense

ATXGator

Founding Member
Austin Gator
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
Good read...

https://www.gatorcountry.com/feature/florida-gators-passing-game-will-go-with-or-without-receivers/

Written byNICK DE LA TORRE, AUGUST 21, 2015, 2 COMMENTS,

The Florida Gators are just over two weeks before the Jim McElwain era will begin as Florida hosts New Mexico State on September 5. We’ve discussed at length the quarterback battle, running backs and the work McElwain has done on the offensive line, but what about receivers?
“I don’t know if sometimes the receivers so shocked the ball’s gotten to him or something, I don’t know, but then they react like they’ve never done it before,” McElwain said when asked how the receivers have progressed this fall camp.
That’s hardly the glowing report fans want to hear about a position that has only had one season where a player had more than 600 receiving yards in the last five years. In fact, other than Demarcus Robinson, the Gators didn’t have a receiver with more than 22 catches or 354 yards receiving in 2014.
How is McElwain supposed to resurrect an offense that has been offensive to watch at worst and sleep inducing at best if he doesn’t have receivers who can catch the ball?The quick fix was to recruit talented freshman Antonio Callaway and to move speedster Brandon Powell over to the position full time, but the group as a whole is still lagging behind the rest of the offense. The routes and timing are getting better but the whole “catching the ball” thing that is all so important for the position seems to be a puzzle the players just can’t crack.
It’s simple; really, throw the ball to the other players.
If the receivers can’t get their act together McElwain has shown that he can affectively use the other skill position players on the roster to aid the passing game. In 2013 at Colorado State, McElwain’s offense completed 298 passes. 74 of those went to tight ends. To put that into perspective, the Gators had 199 total receptions from the entire team in the same year. The 1,039 yards that those receptions by tight ends covered were more than half of the yards that Florida’s offense threw for in that season as well.
Then you can add 35 receptions from McElwain’s running backs in 2013 and 310 more yards and you almost have Florida’s entire 2013 passing offense covered by Colorado State’s running backs and tight ends.
This bodes well for Jake McGee and the tight ends, who much unlike the underwhelming receiver group, have actually been turning heads and impressing the coaching staff this camp.2013 is not just an outlier either. Starting with McElwain’s stop with the Alabama Crimson Tide as offensive coordinator, the coach has shown that he can and will get other players involved in the passing game. Only once in the past seven years have McElwain’s tight ends and running backs combined for less than 80 receptions (2014) and, on average, the two position groups haul in more than 88 passes a year.
“There’s some guys at that position and what that does is allows us some flexibility in some personnel groups,” McElwain said of the tight ends. “Maybe be able to get in some green and green X and explode to empty and now you got guys out there on people … that’s where we try to create some match-ups, so kind of putting in, we’re putting in a lot of formational things right now that maybe don’t look conventional and doing it because of the depth of that position.”
McGee is clearly the leader of the group. The oldest, most experienced player is also the most well rounded of the bunch but Florida has some playmakers at tight end behind McGee.
“I think they’re coming along great and I’m excited what they’re going to bring to the field in the fall,” McGee said of C’yontai Lewis and DeAndre Goolsby. “They’re talented players and they’re two guys I’ve tried to help as much as I can to get them as good as they can be with whatever impact I can have with them.”
We can’t forget the running backs either. Junior Kelvin Taylor has had just seven receptions in his two years at Florida. McElwain had two running backs with more than 10 receptions last season alone. If you go back to 2009 at Alabama, McElwain’s running backs caught 63 passes. Taylor was a quick study, saw how much McElwain used the running backs in the passing game and he went to work. Taylor caught balls from both Will Grier and Treon Harris in the offseason and when a quarterback wasn’t available to throw to him he found a JUGS machine.
“This whole camp I would say I maybe dropped two balls the whole camp and I caught a whole lot of check downs this camp,” Taylor said. “So I feel it paid off a whole lot, and just me with the blocking scheme, that’s like night and day I know that very well, I know that great. But yeah I feel like it paid off a whole lot so I’m excited.”
McElwain is determined to turn the Florida Gators passing offense around, with or without the receivers.

GatorUrf10

Newb
Aug 10, 2015
Looking forward to seeing Mac's philosophy in action. Unlike some of the coaches we've had the last few years I think his idea of getting the ball to the guy with the hot hand is more advantageous for our roster and especially considering our situation. Also, looking forward to seeing the fade and the deep slant back in our O. Two routes that I haven't seen consistently run well since Spurrier.

divits

Founding Member
A Muffin of the Studly Variety
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
Is Jake McGee really only a red shirt junior?

And I've said it a million times but it still amazes me, how in the hell do you ever get a Div ! scholarship as a receiver if you can't catch the f'ng football? Specially with the gloves they have these days.

TLB

Just chillin'
Lifetime Member
Jan 6, 2015
McGee is RSr, not RJr. This is his one year to do it.

URGatorBait

Founding Member
Ox's Former Favorite Poster
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
TLB;n263950 said:
McGee is RSr, not RJr. This is his one year to do it.
Isn't this his 6th year? I recall there being talk that the league wouldn't grant him a 6th year and thats why many thought he wouldn't be back this year.

GatorJB

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Play makers at RB and TE can certainly compensate for the lack of depth at WR. At least there are 3-4 WRs that are doing well instead of 1-2 like the rest of the country assumes. If we can get at least average play for an SEC O-line, then this offense can be good enough to allow UF to have a pretty good season.

gatormandan

Are we back yet?
Lifetime Member
Oct 15, 2014
To beat the horse, every single week chump would say they were working on getting the ball into the hands of their best playmakers and they would tell them they had packages ready for them every game and it NEVER materialized. Now, I actually believe we will see it in action. I cant wait to see us actually trying score points!

CaribGator

Founding Member
Snappy for Nappy
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
We have to throw the ball, or teams will stack the box again... I could understand the receivers struggling with getting separation, getting open against our DB's, but not catching the ball when it hits them in the hands doesn't bode well .

Gator87

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
The offense improved dramatically when one of the holes was removed from Florida Field.

This is the A-hole that was the main cause of the offensive problems.

Attachments

• conv_4143.jpeg
    conv_4143.jpeg
    49 KB · Views: 32

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014
divits;n263927 said:
Is Jake McGee really only a red shirt junior?

And I've said it a million times but it still amazes me, how in the hell do you ever get a Div ! scholarship as a receiver if you can't catch the f'ng football? Specially with the gloves they have these days.

Meet Ryan Sousa.

Yes-Wii-Can.png

divits

Founding Member
A Muffin of the Studly Variety
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
soflagator;n264037 said:
Meet Ryan Sousa.

Yeah, that one is baffling. His HS stats were ridiculous. He obviously knew how to catch the ball at one time so I'm thinking it's a mental issue. The defensive competition has improved so much that he's intimidated and is so concerned about getting separation that he forgets he's got to catch the ball when it arrives.

LagoonGator68

Founding Member
mostly peaceful protester
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Andrades, Pittman and Sousa were all afterthoughts for a reason and they have proved it.

joeblow

Banned
Banned
Aug 12, 2015
It's all just words, and the same words we heard last year. Believe it or not, Muschamp didn't do anything to hold Roper down. The thing that held the offense down was the lack of talent, but it wasn't until after the Missouri game that they finally figured out that the players weren't capable of running the offense Roper installed. It's not the X's and O's... The outlook was even brighter last year at this time. UF had a fourth year Junior that was finally in a "system" where he would flourish, a ton of talented playmakers at receiver, running back, an honorable mention All-ACC tight end, and a veteran offensive line. Driskel was going to the man for the next couple of years, if the NFL didn't steal him away. The players were excited and confident about the new offense. It takes more than new plays, it takes players. There's nothing novel about getting the ball to your playmakers. As seen when UF played Kentucky, when Robinson and Jones carried the load, it's not something that was ignored. But when your leader and top playmaker, the quarterback, isn't good, it's a little strange to expect a good offense. Now UF is going to either trot out last year's starter, Treon Harris, a guy who didn't set the world on fire last year, or Will Grier, someone who has not played a down,and was beaten out Harris last year. There is not a clue if either of them will be any good. I think will Grier has too many red flags. He was the clear number two quarterback last year, and even with the advantage of being an early enrollee, Harris still overtook him. This year, Grier again has the clear advantage because Harris missed considerable time in the Spring auditioning for the new staff. Yet here we are a couple of weeks away from the first game and Grier still hasn't seized the job. McElwain even made a reference to how a short quarterback is at a disadvantage when speaking of himself. Grier fits the mold of the type of quarterback McElwain has always employed, etc. etc. But Grier still hasn't done anything to let McElwain pull the trigger, and that is a huge red flag. I think Grier is another overrated player, like the last Gatorade Player of the Year, John Brantley. He didn't play anyone but the Sisters of the Poor in high school and his gaudy stats may be a reflection of Daddy coaching him, with the main purpose being to highlight his son. I think Treon Harris will be a better college quarterback. I think he's a gamer, ballplayer, whatever you want to call it. The key is to develop an offense that caters to his strengths, and worry about installing the offense you'd like to run when you have a quarterback that can do it. We'll soon learn how McElwain handles choosing a quarterback, his first big test at Florida. Choose wisely, and Florida's return to relevance will come sooner. It's critical he gets it right, UF doesn't have much patience with coaches. He gets a free pass this year, even Saban lost to Louisiana-Monroe his first year at Alabama. But his choice at quarterback will reverberate for longer than just this year. He needs to make the right one.

maheo30

WiLLLLLLLie! WiLLLLLLLie!
Lifetime Member
Jul 24, 2014
Joeblow, do you really expect anyone to read that wall of text? :eek:

TN G8tr

Founding Member
The "Original" TN G8tr
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
maheo30;n264084 said:
Joeblow, do you really expect anyone to read that wall of text? :eek:
Nope, dont get past his avatar. Time to ban that asshat.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
GatorUrf10;n263913 said:
Looking forward to seeing Mac's philosophy in action. Unlike some of the coaches we've had the last few years I think his idea of getting the ball to the guy with the hot hand is more advantageous for our roster and especially considering our situation. Also, looking forward to seeing the fade and the deep slant back in our O. Two routes that I haven't seen consistently run well since Spurrier.
That is exciting.

alcoholica

Founding Member
I'm what Willis was talking about
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Has anyone heard how Fulwood is doing?

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Birthdays