Fixing the offense

Gator Fever

Founding Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
joeblow;n264082 said:
The thing that held the offense down was the lack of talent, but it wasn't until after the Missouri game that they finally figured out that the players weren't capable of running the offense Roper installed.

Driskel was the primary problem not all the players because Driskel couldn't even get down the part of when to keep or give up the ball in Roper's offense....

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014
Gator Fever;n264175 said:
Driskel was the primary problem not all the players because Driskel couldn't even get down the part of when to keep or give up the ball in Roper's offense....

Yeah but I'd like to get an idea of how Grier's been doing in the redzone drills. Just really want to know if this year's gonna be any different than the last two, you know.

MJMGator

Founding Member
Slightly amused
Lifetime Member
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
soflagator;n264180 said:
Yeah but I'd like to get an idea of how Grier's been doing in the redzone drills. Just really want to know if this year's gonna be any different than the last two, you know.

:lol:

Gator Fever

Founding Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
soflagator;n264180 said:

lol - We will probably know after the Tenn game. If things are bad before that then we are probably in real big trouble.

joeblow

Banned
Banned
Aug 12, 2015
soflagator;n264180 said:

I don't care about drills, practice, etc. We were told, constantly, last year that Driskel was doing great and one player told us he was "the best quarterback in America." Perhaps it was true, maybe he was brilliant in practice but I'd much rather have someone that's a terrible player in practice but plays well when it counts.

t-gator

Founding Member
too sexy for my shirt
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
soflagator;n264180 said:
That's funny right there, i dont care who ya are.

Theologator

Enchanter
Lifetime Member
Aug 11, 2015
GatorUrf10;n263913 said:
Looking forward to seeing Mac's philosophy in action. Unlike some of the coaches we've had the last few years I thinks his idea of getting the ball to the guy with the hot hand is more advantageous for our roster and especially considering our situation. Also, looking forward to seeing the fade and the deep slant back in our O. Two routes that I haven't seen consistently run well since Spurrier.

Exactly, except the hot hand/playmakers in space is the offensive coach speak equivalent to the new DC saying, "We're going to an attacking style of defense." They all say it.

I am, with you, also very excited and interested to if/how this will come together. Feels like 1990 or 1980 - a shift in the wind.

GatorJ

Founding Member
Hopeful
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
alcoholica;n264155 said:
Has anyone heard how Fulwood is doing?

Not playing to nearly his potential. Mac said that he's not playing to his size.

alcoholica

Founding Member
I'm what Willis was talking about
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
LongTooth;n264245 said:
Mac says WRs are still dropping balls. No one really stepping up behind Robinson and Powell. McGee is dealing with a foot injury.

He says there isn't any real separation between the QBs. Could play both.

http://www.gatorsports.com/article/20150821/ARTICLES/150829916?tc=cr

Apparently the Sun is just regurgitating the coach speak. Everyone else says that Grier has significant separation in the competition.

VulcanAlex

Founding Member
Senior Vulcan Cowboy
Jun 16, 2014
Founding Member
alcoholica;n264263 said:
Apparently the Sun is just regurgitating the coach speak. Everyone else says that Grier has significant separation in the competition.

Perhaps this is true, but these "everyone" might have a hidden agenda. Like perhaps telling us what we want to hear and will click on. Could be coach speak, could be truth.

ATXGator

Founding Member
Austin Gator
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
The Gainesville Sun reporter just bring a recorder to Mac's press conference then type it up. They provide absolutely no information that is not already presented by the coaches.

As far as the offense goes... nobody knows how anybody is really doing because most of the practices are closed. I think we are going to find out week 3 if we have a chance to be any good. If we go up to UK and lose (and yes I am scared of that) then this season is gone and this board will blow up.

I think Law will have about 1000 I told you so posts...

The reality is that nobody has any idea if we are going to be any good this year. While McElwain builds talent through recruiting we are stuck to hoping our D can keep us close and the offense can be serviceable.

ockgator

Sep 17, 2014
Navy did finally beat ND after 40 some odd years so the law of averages says UK will beat us one day. Forget which pee wee football movie it was but IIRC Rick Moranis was the coach and he told the kids we may lose 99 out of 100 but we will get one of them, might as well be today, Something like that, only saw it once. May as well be UK coach speaking

alcoholica

Founding Member
I'm what Willis was talking about
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
ockgator;n265181 said:
Navy did finally beat ND after 40 some odd years so the law of averages says UK will beat us one day. Forget which pee wee football movie it was but IIRC Rick Moranis was the coach and he told the kids we may lose 99 out of 100 but we will get one of them, might as well be today, Something like that, only saw it once. May as well be UK coach speaking

The Little Giants

GatorStud

Founding Member
Score Points, Be Happy
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
Receivers dropping balls on a scholarship is disappointing. In general, TEs and RBs don't stretch the field but dink and dunk successfully might be worth watching until Mac can get his guys in.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Keeping shiiiity football players on scholarship is disappointing.

AugustaGator

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
I want to see 90's OSU game...3 passes in a row....that was exciting back then...

URGatorBait

Founding Member
Ox's Former Favorite Poster
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
joeblow;n264082 said:
It's all just words, and the same words we heard last year. Believe it or not, Muschamp didn't do anything to hold Roper down. The thing that held the offense down was the lack of talent, but it wasn't until after the Missouri game that they finally figured out that the players weren't capable of running the offense Roper installed. It's not the X's and O's... The outlook was even brighter last year at this time. UF had a fourth year Junior that was finally in a "system" where he would flourish, a ton of talented playmakers at receiver, running back, an honorable mention All-ACC tight end, and a veteran offensive line. Driskel was going to the man for the next couple of years, if the NFL didn't steal him away. The players were excited and confident about the new offense. It takes more than new plays, it takes players. There's nothing novel about getting the ball to your playmakers. As seen when UF played Kentucky, when Robinson and Jones carried the load, it's not something that was ignored. But when your leader and top playmaker, the quarterback, isn't good, it's a little strange to expect a good offense. Now UF is going to either trot out last year's starter, Treon Harris, a guy who didn't set the world on fire last year, or Will Grier, someone who has not played a down,and was beaten out Harris last year. There is not a clue if either of them will be any good. I think will Grier has too many red flags. He was the clear number two quarterback last year, and even with the advantage of being an early enrollee, Harris still overtook him. This year, Grier again has the clear advantage because Harris missed considerable time in the Spring auditioning for the new staff. Yet here we are a couple of weeks away from the first game and Grier still hasn't seized the job. McElwain even made a reference to how a short quarterback is at a disadvantage when speaking of himself. Grier fits the mold of the type of quarterback McElwain has always employed, etc. etc. But Grier still hasn't done anything to let McElwain pull the trigger, and that is a huge red flag. I think Grier is another overrated player, like the last Gatorade Player of the Year, John Brantley. He didn't play anyone but the Sisters of the Poor in high school and his gaudy stats may be a reflection of Daddy coaching him, with the main purpose being to highlight his son. I think Treon Harris will be a better college quarterback. I think he's a gamer, ballplayer, whatever you want to call it. The key is to develop an offense that caters to his strengths, and worry about installing the offense you'd like to run when you have a quarterback that can do it. We'll soon learn how McElwain handles choosing a quarterback, his first big test at Florida. Choose wisely, and Florida's return to relevance will come sooner. It's critical he gets it right, UF doesn't have much patience with coaches. He gets a free pass this year, even Saban lost to Louisiana-Monroe his first year at Alabama. But his choice at quarterback will reverberate for longer than just this year. He needs to make the right one.
Paragraphs, read up on them.

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=how+to+create+a+paragraph+

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Birthdays

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    TheFoodGator